Page 1 of 2
Prior to the introduction of MIDI and electronic instruments in the early 80's, the guitar was without a doubt the most popular instrument of what is considered 'popular' cultured music. Virtually every band from the 50's on was a guitar band of some-sort.

You could rarely walk past a pub, bar or club without hearing the blaring sounds of amps and the screeching or strumming of guitars. These days you'll most likely see a DJ or a few rows of pokie machines blaring their 'happy' C# Jingle.

Although Electronic instruments are nothing new, they are still relative babies as far as the world of musical instruments is concerned. Popular cultured music seems to have taken a sharp turn away from guitars and into the electronic age over the last decade. Once acts such as Moby, Chemical Bros etc. were restricted to performing in clubs on saturday nights. Now they fill stadiums.

So, do you think the stance of the guitar as the most popular instrument for 'mainstream' music has been jeopardised by the introduction of electronic instruments?

FTR - I love both electronica and guitar.
I still think it's the most popular, simply because it's convienient.

If anything, though, the resurgance of punk and metal in popular music is making the guitar more popular than it has been for 10 years.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Electronica suck and if kids like to listen to that crap while playing wii or looking at manga well i dont give a ****
Quote by RockFreak000
Electronica suck and if kids like to listen to that crap while playing wii or looking at manga well i dont give a ****

If you actually mean that, then that just blows big style.
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
electronica happens to be popular in the clubs or with youth- it has absolutely no staying power...
Who reads sigs anyway
Quote by strong_wizard
electronica happens to be popular in the clubs or with youth- it has absolutely no staying power...

Yeah like Kraftwerk, they have only been going for 30 years now. They will never last.
Quote by strong_wizard

I don't particuarly enjoy electronica.

But dude, that's what they were saying about metal and punk back in the day.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
I agree Madass, I think the reason most people started playing guitar in the first place was because they wanted to be able to play the songs they listen to. It's one of the reasons bands like LZ and the Beatles were so popular. Kids could pick up a guitar and start playing it. But as far as lot of what is considered 'popular' music today, their isn't much inspiration to pick up a guitar there.
No. I personally think the guitar still dominates over MIDI and other electronic instruments. Electronic instruments like the synth have been popular since the 80's, but I think it serves more as an addition.

Just because bands such as Moby etc are getting more exposure, it really doesn't mean they are 'jeopardising' the stance of the guitar.
electro music alliance

Moon of The Mighty Boosh Appreciation Society PM *Juno* to join!

Quote by The 6th String
I learned to dance by watching amputees have seizures...
Quote by daft
Yeah like Kraftwerk, they have only been going for 30 years now. They will never last.

Kraftwerk were/are renegades. But their popularity was hardly mainstream. Big in Germany yeah, but took time to seep through..
Quote by Surrysounds
Kraftwerk were/are renegades. But their popularity was hardly mainstream. Big in Germany yeah, but took time to seep through..

Kraftwerk headline alot of festivals around the world. They are pretty damn famous.
Famous they are, but not mainstream.. There music has never been classified as mainstream in that sense. I guess I'm talking more about your hiphop, (todays) R&B, dance music etc.
Quote by MadassAlex
I still think it's the most popular, simply because it's convienient.

If anything, though, the resurgance of punk and metal in popular music is making the guitar more popular than it has been for 10 years.

I partly agree with this, it can be a cheap instrument thats easy to get a sound out of, i mean how hard is it to move a powerchord shape around or play an Em chord?

But i also think that it's getting into more of a niche, a large niche though
THe majority of music at the moment of hip/hop etc, a woman talking over a beat having 'attitude' and also the odd indie band - the guitars become VERY popular lately, but less people are using it, or it'd be better to say that theres more popular musicians that get limelight than ever before

In terms of virtuosity though, the guitar can be seen as an 'improper' instrument which pales in comparison to classical instruments such as the violin, i mean i love classical music, but that by no means makes guitar a degrading instrument

It's just the resurgance in guitar pop bands but also teenagers into emo/pop punk bands that have sprung up that have boosted guitar sales

So no, i don't think it's a dying instrument, it's just that there's alot of other stuff going on in the music scene today
i reckon guitars are still pretty mainstrwam, what with the pretty much death of boy-bands and them bein replaced by indie bands
a walking talking advertisement for population control
Quote by RockFreak000

So people aren't allowed to listen to electronica just because you think it sucks?

What a n00b.
Our hearts are with Nick Grundy.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
That is true phillip, a lot of 'new age' bands have been springing up around the place, and making a climb on the charts, but it's almost monotony coming from those 'tune down and thrash' type fits. Rarely do you even hear guitar solo's in mainstream these days and the songs seem to be programmed and manufactured rather than pure originality. They are usually also accompanied by a DJ.. Plenty of incredible bands out there that deserve far more recognition than they're getting, but I guess thats just the way the market is.
^ But to be honest the charts have always been like that, the majority of people who buy and listen to music just want a 'bangin' tune or something they can dance to or seem cool with
But hey in the end who cares what other people are doing with instruments, it's not a competition, i'm happy to play what i do whilst some indie bands do what they do etc
Quote by Surrysounds
That is true phillip, a lot of 'new age' bands have been springing up around the place, and making a climb on the charts, but it's almost monotony coming from those 'tune down and thrash' type fits. Rarely do you even hear guitar solo's in mainstream these days and the songs seem to be programmed and manufactured rather than pure originality. They are usually also accompanied by a DJ.. Plenty of incredible bands out there that deserve far more recognition than they're getting, but I guess thats just the way the market is.

I totally agreed with you. That one of the main reasons I don't like mainstream music; those guys NEVER SOLO. Seriously, there are basically three good bands on the radio: Avenged Sevenfold, Velvet Revolver, and Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Know what they have in common? SOLOS!
I'd say the exact opposite. Emo-punk/indie bands are ruling the popular music scene right now.
You really shouldn't be asking here, electronica is just noise and hard rock singing about getting wasted is universally brilliant.
Philip - Well, I'd say once upon a time what was considered mainstream music; ie Beatles, Stones, - was far more appealing to me at least than what mainstream is today, ie Justin Timberlake and American Idol - and certainly had more purpose for the guitar than a sampled riff. Yeah, there were always outfits like the Supremes and the Sinatra's of the business who were more about brass than any other one specific instrument, but I guess what I'm getting at is 'popular music' seems to have gone down hill (at least to guitar sympathisers) drastically.
Not in the US. If anything, guitar-based music has been getting popular again over the past few years. Seriously, a lot of my jock friends play guitar and stuff. I never thought that would happen.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Sep 16, 2007,
Go back to the 80's, pop music was completely synth.

And don't bring up hair metal using guitars, because it's ****ty descendant, metalcore, is huge.
Dickless.
Quote by CowboyUp
You sound like one of those "good music ended in the 70's" guys.

Good mainstream, yeah.. And more like the 80's. Everynow and then you get a diamond in the rough these days, but whats now considered good is a step down from what once was..

Take a band like Wolfmother, now they're a fairly popular 'mainstream' guitar band, but its hard to say they aren't recycling material already done in the 70's.

As I stated in my initial post I am a fan of both electro and guitar, but I think it would be hard for any musician who listens to both mainstream, underground and all in between to say that quality of what is constantly bombarded on radio/tv has improved drastically over the years.

Anyway, you didn't really answer the question.
Quote by Copius
I totally agreed with you. That one of the main reasons I don't like mainstream music; those guys NEVER SOLO. Seriously, there are basically three good bands on the radio: Avenged Sevenfold, Velvet Revolver, and Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Know what they have in common? SOLOS!

meh, ive never had much intrest in guitar solos, unless they're done tastefully, which they almost never are. im more interested in a good melody rather than a guitar solo.
Quote by Surrysounds
Philip - Well, I'd say once upon a time what was considered mainstream music; ie Beatles, Stones, - was far more appealing to me at least than what mainstream is today, ie Justin Timberlake and American Idol - and certainly had more purpose for the guitar than a sampled riff. Yeah, there were always outfits like the Supremes and the Sinatra's of the business who were more about brass than any other one specific instrument, but I guess what I'm getting at is 'popular music' seems to have gone down hill (at least to guitar sympathisers) drastically.

Yep, i think it's a sign of the fast generation, everyone wants every delivered to them quickly, although i'm not saying creating electronica is easy, to patch together samples isn't as hard as learning and mastering a musical instrument, although as i said, i'm not claiming electro etc is easy
I think the guitar is actually gaining appeal, what with guitar hero and all. I actually know a guy who got into real guitar through Guitar Hero.
The.
I don't really think guitar is declining in popularity. Actually being skilled at guitar certainly isn't as important as it was in the late 60's, 70's, and 80's, but there are still plenty of pop bands bashing away power and open chords and noodling away at simple melodies.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
I hope electronic music becomes more popular. Guitars are boring now, unless you do something creative with the effects...

yeah he pretty much hit the nail on the head
Quote by pimpinazndude
^ wut he said

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Quote by RockFreak000
Wow...I can't think of why Electronica (an incredibley vague term for that music) would be crap in comparison to almost any electric guitar-centered genre.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
I think the guitar is actually gaining appeal, what with guitar hero and all. I actually know a guy who got into real guitar through Guitar Hero.

QFT.
Interested in Japan? Join the Club. PM me or Kurt-Corgan.
Quote by PieceOfMind666

Haha, that was an epic pic battle. you are a worthy opponent

Yep. To me at least. I used to like playing guitar, but I got into house and trance and electronic music, and I haven't looked back. I bought a synthesizer too.
Quote by strong_wizard

er, what? i'd say most electronica is more ambient based, and most dance music played in clubs isnt electronica.

Yep, i think it's a sign of the fast generation, everyone wants every delivered to them quickly, although i'm not saying creating electronica is easy, to patch together samples isn't as hard as learning and mastering a musical instrument, although as i said, i'm not claiming electro etc is easy

this is clearly nonsense. i mean, look at something like 'the grey album' for a prime example. every single note on that record is a sample. but its incredible, and the talent and effort that it takes to create something that good is pretty much self evident. if you can't appreciate it, i worry for you.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at Sep 16, 2007,
Page 1 of 2