okay so i spent $180.00 on an emg 85 (in neck)
and a
seymour sh-11 (in bridge)-(which sounds not a great as expected)

now i get distortion on the clean channel with the emg
wtf?
i was told it sounds good on clean
this is why i hate guitar center
is there a way to fix this?
*Guitars*

Fender Standard Strat

Ibanez DT155

Ibanez RG2EX1

*Amps*

Peavey Classic 50

*Effects*

Boss MT2 Metal Zone

Danelectro Fab Chorus

Danelectro Fab Flanger
Yeah, you should've known that emg's are active pickups with high output and they'll sound muddy on clean. Lower down the gain on your amp and the volume on your guitar and you should be fine.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
i feel you on the guitar center thing. they are the most overrated store in existence. theyre horrible. everything ive bought there [besides strings or picks] ive had to take back because it either didnt work or it was nothing like they said it was. take em back.
lol.This is why I try everything out before I buy it.I gotta know what I am getting in to.Active pickups are usually used for guitars that will be distorted,because they sound all muddy in clean.Like they said,less gain,turn down your tone,and a little less volume.
Quote by metalhedseven
i feel you on the guitar center thing. they are the most overrated store in existence. theyre horrible. everything ive bought there [besides strings or picks] ive had to take back because it either didnt work or it was nothing like they said it was. take em back.

That's your fault for letting them influence you...plus, don't you try stuff out before you buy them?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
yeah, they said they are known to have great clean, im a noob when it comes to pickups, i have the ear but i mean wtf!
its got distorion, it sounds soooo horrible cause it adds like really heavy distortion EWWTF
plus it fu** with the seymour
*Guitars*

Fender Standard Strat

Ibanez DT155

Ibanez RG2EX1

*Amps*

Peavey Classic 50

*Effects*

Boss MT2 Metal Zone

Danelectro Fab Chorus

Danelectro Fab Flanger
Well, yeah...cleans on EMGs aren't great. And you've mixed active and passive pickups, which may cause some problems... How many volume and tone controls are on your guitar?
Well ive tried the seymour which is a great clean and emg for distortion, thats why i put them in the postions that i did but apparently they sound **** together and the active makes the seymour buzz even though they arent wiried together geezee
*Guitars*

Fender Standard Strat

Ibanez DT155

Ibanez RG2EX1

*Amps*

Peavey Classic 50

*Effects*

Boss MT2 Metal Zone

Danelectro Fab Chorus

Danelectro Fab Flanger
2 volume 2 tone, i found a way to get them wire them together
*Guitars*

Fender Standard Strat

Ibanez DT155

Ibanez RG2EX1

*Amps*

Peavey Classic 50

*Effects*

Boss MT2 Metal Zone

Danelectro Fab Chorus

Danelectro Fab Flanger
haha well i got the duncan for that
andything i paly frusciante is on the fender
i put the pickus into the sg btw
*Guitars*

Fender Standard Strat

Ibanez DT155

Ibanez RG2EX1

*Amps*

Peavey Classic 50

*Effects*

Boss MT2 Metal Zone

Danelectro Fab Chorus

Danelectro Fab Flanger
You've learned 3 valuable lessons here...

1 - Most EMG actives are designed for the specific purpose of pushing an amp into overdrive earlier - that means poor/no cleans. If you want cleans from an active you need to get a model that's specifically designed for them like the EMG60

2 - you can't mix actives and passives easily. If you have independent volume and tone controls you can get away with the wiring but you still get a stupid volume differential between the two pickups and it's really difficult to get them balanced. If they're both going through the same volume and tone circuit you're screwed...actives use 25k pots, normal humbuckers use 500k pots. That means one of them is going to sound like ass.

3. ALWAYS do your research, you could have got all this information and a lot more if you'd asked around here beforehand.

...best thing to do is try and return the 85 and get a decent passive...

...and while you're at it, try and return the Dimebucker, on account of it being sh1te. What on earth posessed you to get a crappy, high output, toneless piece of junk for Frusciante sounds??? Again, a quick search on the forum would have told you that several times over
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
When you tried the Duncan, did you try it on your amp or on another?

I still think part of the problem will be something to do with using active and passive pickups on the same guitar - something I've never tried to do.
Dimebucker?
i have them wired separed and i know
they are going to a seperate volume knob and tone
*Guitars*

Fender Standard Strat

Ibanez DT155

Ibanez RG2EX1

*Amps*

Peavey Classic 50

*Effects*

Boss MT2 Metal Zone

Danelectro Fab Chorus

Danelectro Fab Flanger
Quote by steven seagull
...and while you're at it, try and return the Dimebucker, on account of it being sh1te.

SH-11 (which he has) is the Custom Custom. SH-13 is the Dimebucker

i have them wired separed and i know
they are going to a seperate volume knob and tone

Did you replace the pots in your SG with the ones that came with the EMG?
Quote by Denthúl
SH-11 (which he has) is the Custom Custom. SH-13 is the Dimebucker

Phew, one less thing to worry about then

I never use those stupid model numbers, and it really does my head in when people refer to them like that...just use the names, it's easier!

Custom Custom is great, keep it....ditch the EMG, it's not going to balance with the Duncan and it's not going to do any of the things you want it to. Stick a Duncan 59 in there instead.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

It's still not agood idea, like Steven seagull said.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I don't know how you couldn't like the SH-11...IMO It's probably one of the top 5 pickups on the market behind the Breed, 59, JB, and PAF Pro...
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

you realise how much of a pain in the ass it is to properly mix actives and passives? that's why the SH-11 sounds like ass, as i bet you used the pots supplied with the EMG's to wire it up, being 25k, the SH-11 would sound muddy as hell. It either needs to be buffered, or you need to ditch the EMG. I say that because I'm not exactly what you would call a fan of EMG pickups
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Best idea would be to listen to Steven Seagull's suggestion and replace the EMG with a Seymour Duncan '59, or else something simliar
Quote by PerpetualBurn
I don't know how you couldn't like the SH-11...IMO It's probably one of the top 5 pickups on the market behind the Breed, 59, JB, and PAF Pro...

I told you I got them mixed up okay

I always use the names, model numbers are for nerds

oh, and the JB ain't all that and a bag of potato chips....what saddens me about all this is that the TS spent $180 on pickups when he has a solid state Crate
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 16, 2007,
i use the 81 in the bridge, and the 85 in the neck and i never got a distorted sound on any clean channel.

EXCEPT when the 9v battery was dying, then things became to lower in volume and fuzz quite a bit.

change your battery.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by steven seagull
Phew, one less thing to worry about then

I never use those stupid model numbers, and it really does my head in when people refer to them like that...just use the names, it's easier!

Custom Custom is great, keep it....ditch the EMG, it's not going to balance with the Duncan and it's not going to do any of the things you want it to. Stick a Duncan 59 in there instead.

+1 to ALL of that.