ive read some stuff about how it is impractical/improper to anchor your pinky which i dont do but i think i might do something just as bad and i want to get it straightened out. when i ply chords my hand picking hand is free and the only part touching the guitar is my forearm at the top, but when i play single notes i tend to rest the side of my hand on the bridge.its pretty convenient and when i palm mute i can just slide it up a little and its comfortable but im trying to break some of my bad habits.

while trying to break it i started resting my wrist against the guitar above the string and picked from there but that seemed just as bad and my hand ended up back on the bridge when playing the higher strings since i couldnt reach them with my wrist anchored.

Ideally, when picking, should and part of your picking hand be touching the guitar or should i practice to be able to pick notes like my chords with only my arm touching the top of the guitar and my pick touching the strings?
Quote by loganrocksabass

how can your girlfriend be in your band if she's in the kitchen?
you can talk to 100 different people and get 100 different answers to this question. do whatevers comfortable for you. as long as you play well and sound good it doesnt matter.
Gear
ESP Vintage Plus
LTD M-II
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Flextone IIIXL
edg posted this not to long ago and i find it to be the best answer to the anchoring question.

Quote by edg
Ah, no one totally gets the anchoring issue except for me

Bottom line, it's about arm control and developing it. If you anchor (using the guitar
to stabilize your hand in any way) while you develop your picking, you will either NOT
learn arm control or will learn it much more slowly. Once you have arm control,
really good arm control, it really doesn't matter very much.

"If its ok for ________, its ok for me". Take comfort in that if you want. Yeah,
you may see some great players who anchor (or appear to). But, how would you
imagine thier arm control compares to yours?

The extent you have no arm control is the extent to which you miss strings, get
caught in strings and in general feel totally ill at ease when you try and pick and
not touch ANYTHING on the guitar.
epic7734
You should have a little support.I have never anchored,and I always rest my hand on the bridge and my arm on the side of the guitar,and I don't get sour notes or anything like that because of it.If you try picking freely,it is really hard.Your hand goes everywhere.It's like letting go of a fire hose.Just do what is comfortable.
Quote by athlete1
You should have a little support.I have never anchored,and I always rest my hand on the bridge and my arm on the side of the guitar,and I don't get sour notes or anything like that because of it.If you try picking freely,it is really hard.Your hand goes everywhere.It's like letting go of a fire hose.Just do what is comfortable.

Well the whole thing with playing unanchored is that the uncontrolled picking will become controlled.

Also if you are resting your palm on your bridge when you are not purposely palm muting, you are anchoring.
epic7734