i'd like my b-52 at-212 tube amp to have a "beefier" distorted sound for my metal band, i'm supposed to play rhythm but my lead guitarist gets better distortion through his spider III :/ I'm willing to pay up to 100 dollars(once i ebay my fender amp lol)
any overdrive pedal suggestions to make a tube amp sound better for metal?
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
i use a pro-co rat
great sound through my tube amp
might be a little to leading for your other guitarist though haha
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
You have a tube amp with decent gain, so DONT get a distortion pedal. Get an overdrive pedal and push those tubes harder.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
I've got a Digitech DF-7 pedal that has several popular distortion pedal "models" built in, so, you are getting several pedals for the price of one. Price: about 100 U.S. I use it with my Epiphone Blues Custom 30 amp when I want a metal sound.
Quote by GodzillaComplex
If your going metal then I suppose you'd be better off with distortion, Digitech Metal Master? Danelectro FAB? Boss MT-2?

VVV Dude I play an S520 :P

He needs overdrive, not distortion, His amp is just too high wattage to get a thicker sound at low volume.

get an overdrive pedal or maybe try an attenuator, I heard weber makes good attenuators.
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
from the attenuators on musiciansfriend i've seen they're 200 usd or more, and all those seem to do is make it quieter(would be good for my room practicing but wont actually make my distortion better, i play at loud volumes with my band usually. So i definatly think overdrive pedals are what i'm looking for.
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
yea, if you need distortion at higher volumes the OD pedal is what you need, but I think you mentioned in your other thread that it sounded thin at lower volumes, the attenuator would help that. For louder volumes the OD is what your looking for, I have heard all good things about the Ibanez tube screamer.
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
I use my Tube Screamer as a cheap attenuator. Turn the amp up LOUDASHELL and the LEVEL knob on the TS down a bit - works like a "poor man's" attenuator.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by strangedogs
I use my Tube Screamer as a cheap attenuator. Turn the amp up LOUDASHELL and the LEVEL knob on the TS down a bit - works like a "poor man's" attenuator.

First off, you aren't going to get to get near the distortion you would as running a guitar with the volume all the way up into a amp turned to 10, as the guitar or pedal with the volume up will make more output, and thus drive the tubes harder, at 10 then 2. As for what the thread starter needs, an Ibanez TS9 will do it nicely.
Quote by strangedogs

you know, you could keep the amp level lower, and turn the volume on the TS all the way up with the gain low.

this is how it is usually done.

anyways, I dont think there is such thing as a "metal overdrive" because to overdrive an amp you dont need a lot of gain

like I said, the volume on 10 and gain on 0-1 will be good enough basically to drive an amp hard.
boost it with a maxon od808 and never look back.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude