Topic says it all... I'm not sure if this is the best forum though.

After cranking out track after generic track in Fruity Loops, I've finally come to the realization that the samples that come with it suck.

So basically, anyone know of any sites with free samples? I'd love it if I could just DL 4 gigs or so of random trance/techno/chill/break samples at once, because it's a real pain DLing them one at a time...

Also, while I'm here, does anyone have any good advice for mixing drums and beats for any kind of electronica? Everything sounds too inhuman, if you know what I mean. Lacks feeling.

Thanks!
If you don't want it to sound inhuman, don't use loops you download online. Use soft synths.
Soft synths?

Sorry, I'm relatively new to this whole business. I wasn't going to get loops per-say, I just want instrument samples to piece together for beats.

Edit: Slipping Away is a good song.
What kind of samples are you looking for? Synths? Drums? If synths, look for a good VSTi. I usually just modify the Sytrus presets.

Like this one I made yesterday:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/63adc180-ace3-4cf8-bbec-ab7220ebcca9/pianointro4

For drums I used [XLN Audio] Addictive Drums. The Sytrus preset was a Hypersaw, the bells are Sytrus>Bells>Glass, the piano is the 4Front Piano Module (free), and the shakers in the background are from the HipHop Pack that comes with FL Studio. A lot of the samples that come with FL Studio ARE usuable. Just remember to add effects (F9) like reverb and pan the instruments.
Last edited by guyperson at Sep 16, 2007,
Quote by guyperson
What kind of samples are you looking for? Synths? Drums? If synths, look for a good VSTi. I usually just modify the Sytrus presets.

Like this one I made yesterday:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/63adc180-ace3-4cf8-bbec-ab7220ebcca9/pianointro4

For drums I used [XLN Audio] Addictive Drums. The Sytrus preset was a Hypersaw, the bells are Sytrus>Bells>Glass, the piano is the 4Front Piano Module (free), and the shakers in the background are from the HipHop Pack that comes with FL Studio. A lot of the samples that come with FL Studio ARE usuable. Just remember to add effects (F9) like reverb and pan the instruments.

Ok, thanks a lot for the help, and I love the song.

Do you have any specific advice as far as mixer channels to add for individual instruments? Like, punchy snare, shimmering cymbals, that sort of thing?

And also, do you know if it's possible to send an entire pattern into the mixer?

Thanks!