UPDATED: TONS OF DETAILED PICS ON PAGE 2

I found this on a local ad site. 1968 Gibson Melody Maker, with alot of unoriginal parts, but it sells at 550. Is it still worth a purchase, for collection?

pic:

Bridge pickup changed to a dimarzio, neck pickup is original, Shaller tuners. Original knobs
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Last edited by bluezombie at Sep 17, 2007,
it looks really good, do you have the chance to play it?

just to make sure all the hardware and electronics are fine, just as the tone and the feel of it
Quote by deluxity
it looks really good, do you have the chance to play it?

just to make sure all the hardware and electronics are fine, just as the tone and the feel of it

He also notes that the fretwear is at about 45%, and that the electronics create a slight fuzz
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Quote by just17n8
that things got 12 strings!!!!!!??

Its six strings but each is doubled up, so yeah twelve strings but you play the extra ones with the original ones.
Looks like a mess to me. Vintage guitars are only collectible or resellable when all or most parts are original.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
That made no sense...
Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Girlfriend (doubles as a Tube Screamer)
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
This strength is built and maintained by masturbation.
there are melody maker series of almost all gibson models.... including SG
EDIT:that was back in the day.... now a days you're right.... theres only LPs body melody maker in production
Quote by just17n8
there are melody maker series of almost all gibson models.... including SG

oh, I guess your right...I'd get it, even if it's not original parts, it's still a pretty good deal, I mean it's not costing like a grand or anything.
550. Worth the trip and money? Or not?
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Quote by david_highland
ummmmm, maybe I'm wrong but I don't think that's a melody maker....that's an sg. I thought a melody maker looked more like a les paul. Yeah, these are melody makers http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3A*%3AIE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7DKUS&q=melody+maker+gibson

as far as my knowledge goes, the melody makers don't need to have certain body shape, it's just that they have single coil pickups and a weird neck

and to the threadstarter,

if you get that guitar, you'll probably need to repair some stuff in it, so only if you're willing to do it get it
I would not trust it. Too much modification. It really looks cool. IF the work is quality, IF you like it, IF you are going to keep it the rest of your life and not resell, and IF you are compentent to do it yourself fret planing and electronics trouble shoot/repair or are willing to pay someone to do it then it may be worth the money and trouble. Go over it with a magnifying glass. Changing a 6 string to a twelve string is some major tricky stuff and it would be very easy to screw it up. People who work on guitars may have a different opinion, so listen to them if they post.
Quote by uldhppi
I would not trust it. Too much modification. It really looks cool. IF the work is quality, IF you like it, IF you are going to keep it the rest of your life and not resell, and IF you are compentent to do it yourself fret planing and electronics trouble shoot/repair or are willing to pay someone to do it then it may be worth the money and trouble. Go over it with a magnifying glass. Changing a 6 string to a twelve string is some major tricky stuff and it would be very easy to screw it up. People who work on guitars may have a different opinion, so listen to them if they post.

You mean this guitar was originally a 6 string?
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
I may be mistaken, but I don't recall every hearing of a Melody Maker coming stock with 12 strings. I assumed it was a mod after seeing your description. I may be full of crap. Wait and see what others say. I don't know everything about vintage guitars by any means.
Quote by uldhppi
I may be mistaken, but I don't recall every hearing of a Melody Maker coming stock with 12 strings. I assumed it was a mod after seeing your description. I may be full of crap. Wait and see what others say. I don't know everything about vintage guitars by any means.

Alright, well i'll wait for a vintage collector to give me his or her opinion. Thanks
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Its never going to be a collector guitar.. It's been played a lot which is easy to tell from the 45% fret wear.

So don't be looking at it that way.. If, however, you want a very unique and cool guitar, 'that' guitar that you have out in your loungeroom as a conversation starter, 'that' guitar that you whip out on stage once in a while to play some 12-string.. Then I'd say it's worth the money.

Never heard of a 12 string melody maker so I think that is a replacement neck etc.

With all the mods it might need a lot of work to get it perfect, but judging by the guy saying 45% fretwear it sounds like it's playable. So yeah..

That's my opinion. Don't look at it as a collectors guitar because it isn't ever gonna be worth thousands. But if you want a kickarse unique guitar then go for it.

I'd buy it as long as it played alright, I love weird **** like that.
It looks cool for sure but as everyone has stated, it has been pretty heavily modified.

When you look at it though, you've got to think...how many times will you get the chance to pick up a 40 year old slab of Gibson, heavily modified or not, in a playable condition for $550...500 with haggling?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Yeah i've made my decision, and i'm going to purchase it, i love quirky guitars (like my modded washburn) and this one is really just attractive. Thanks for the input, you guys.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
More detailed pics, if you guys are interested:

Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
And more:

Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
I find it hard to believe that this was originally a 12 stringed guitar, as i've never heard of a 12 string melody maker either, and i can't find any anywhere according to Google. I contacted the Gibson customer service, so i'll see.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass