O.k. so we all know there are songs featuring only guitar and lyrics, but what about only bass and lyrics. I've been working a song that would feature me on bass...and me singing, and the way I've written it(mainly chords and melodic lines), it doesn't really have any room for guitar nor drums, I was thinking maybe putting in some like violin or piano but the main instrument would still be bass. Anyway I was just wondering what you guys thought of the idea and if should still continue in writing songs like this
If it comes out sounding good then go for it. Be sure to record and upload it I want to hear how it sounds
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
thats awesome
i always wondered why no one did that.
upload it cuz i wanna hear it too
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

LETS HEADBANG TO METAL!

If you give a mouse a cookie,satan will get angry
I'll upload it as soon as I can, right now though I'm debating on lyrics, I don't really know what direction I want to go with it. The music is really kind of slow and melodic so I was thinking possibly love song but it has a very sad feel to it so I don't know. I have a few written for both cases but I'm torn between them
i know a local band with a song that only has bass and singing, unfortunately they don't have it on their website, but yeah, upload it when your done, sounds good
pff **** guitar and drums dude. go with it and become famous. bass sounds cooler than guitar anyway
Definitely keep going with it, even if it's unconventional, all the better reason to explore the musical territory on your own. Don't let a question like "Has it been done before?" interfere with a question like "Should I do it now?"

Oh, and to answer your first post, Pea by the Red Hot Chili Peppers features only bass and vocals.
When crying don't help
You can't compose yourself
It's best to compose a poem
An honest verse of longing
Or a simple song of hope...
it don't see anythign wrong with it. it would sound a bit incomplete i think if it were just bass. maybe add soem piano parts like you said. or some drums(if you have some software that allows you to create drum fills) but it comes right down to what you wanna do. go for it man.
♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪

Quote by Rune Playaz
I vote thycrusader for 'The guy who hit the nail on the head'

Quote by Emilyyy.
thycrusader = Thigh_Crusader
Quote by UGROQFAN
thats awesome
i always wondered why no one did that.
upload it cuz i wanna hear it too

Aww crap I forgot that guys name
There was this guy who sang spacey trippy songs along to frantic spacey trippy slap lines. He was amazing; and he had a bunch of videos on youtube. Goddammit, I just can't remember his name.
Quote by Inahrima
Aww crap I forgot that guys name
There was this guy who sang spacey trippy songs along to frantic spacey trippy slap lines. He was amazing; and he had a bunch of videos on youtube. Goddammit, I just can't remember his name.

Nathan Hughes?
The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin', that's what I said...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Fast_Bear

That cover of Limelight's pretty good :P Although I reckon it would've sounded better on a regular 4 string rather than the 12 (or is it 8?) string she was playing.
Those who have crossed
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
I'm planning on an album-type thing featuring only bass and keyboards. Me and a buddy. Although keyboards will have a relatively large part too.
haha
Yeah, I've been doing the same to stave off boredom. Haven't 100% finished any yet, but when I do I may put up a few myself.
Death From Above 1979 is all bass, drums, and lyrics. Of course, the bass is heavily distorted and I don't really care for the music. I'm just saying...

I love bass but I don't know that I care for hearing ONLY bass. Just the same that I don't like listening to virtuoso guitarists or violinists. I don't like music in which one instrument overshadows everything else. I like all my instruments to come together with their own flavors to make a complete sound.
Quote by Callum89
That cover of Limelight's pretty good :P Although I reckon it would've sounded better on a regular 4 string rather than the 12 (or is it 8?) string she was playing.

I think the number and type of instruments is rather irrelevant. It's the choice of notes, played in which clef, that makes a song good. That chick playing Limelight and singing with the passion of a stripper at 3am proves this: so what if it's just a bass? She has at least one octave string covering for the lack of guitar. It's as if there's a bass playing with a guitar. Does it matter if it's 2 instruments, or just 1? I think the medium is irrelevant as long as you're getting your message across. You should never ever do something because nobody else has done it or because you can. If it just so happens that the bass can cover all the parts you need, great (although I'm a bit skeptical about no percussion). If it's on a kazoo, autoharp, or anything, it doesn't matter, as long as you're getting the sound you want. Don't limit yourself to 'just bass' because it's something you just want to do.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^And that is what we call truth.

Music doesn't have any boundaries. All music is is a series of sounds that envokes an emotion. It being a waterfall, baby laughing, a car crusher, sledge hammer breaking stuff, or anything.
Mr. fitz at time the conclusions you come up with truely amaze me. I kind of came up with a riff and just built the song off of it but the main idea of the song was just, I wanted to do something different and to me it sounded good. Though I've already began trying to put in a piano part to give the song more harmony but I am still skeptical about adding drums. Perhaps some really light cymbal work would sound good but much more than that and it would be like the songs heart was pounding out of it chest, and yes I consider music to be like a living being with vital parts
Quote by thefitz
I think the number and type of instruments is rather irrelevant. It's the choice of notes, played in which clef, that makes a song good. That chick playing Limelight and singing with the passion of a stripper at 3am proves this: so what if it's just a bass? She has at least one octave string covering for the lack of guitar. It's as if there's a bass playing with a guitar. Does it matter if it's 2 instruments, or just 1? I think the medium is irrelevant as long as you're getting your message across. You should never ever do something because nobody else has done it or because you can. If it just so happens that the bass can cover all the parts you need, great (although I'm a bit skeptical about no percussion). If it's on a kazoo, autoharp, or anything, it doesn't matter, as long as you're getting the sound you want. Don't limit yourself to 'just bass' because it's something you just want to do.

I agree with you, all I was saying is that I think it would sound better (To me anyway, I know everyone has their own taste).
Those who have crossed
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Quote by watchingmefall
Nathan Hughes?

I was hoping someone would mention him. He's great.
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
me and my band have a song like that on our myspace www.myspace.com/theedgeofboro its a pretty crap quality song since we recorded it in a pub using a laptop, but the music shines through haha

the song you want is called knackerd, enjoy
check out "Bamby Slaughter" and "Misery loves company" of Nirvana.... those ae only-bass songs, and they are really really good...

i wanna hear that song!
i was also wriying a song on my bass and was wondering to keep it to just bass! hmmmmm! upload when ur done wanna check it out amigo!