well, i have a synyster standard guitar from schecter that I've had for almost a year now (about 9 months), and i'm thinkin about changing out the humbuckers on it. standard humbuckers aren't that great, but in doing this will it make much of a difference?

it comes standard with seymour duncan invader HB-108 humbuckers:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/duncan-designed/cutting-edge-2/hb108/

and i'm thinking of replacing it with seymour duncan invader SH8 humbuckers:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SEMSH8B

Would this make much of a difference (in a positive sense?) I haven't heard the difference between an HB108 and an SH8 before, and i'm wondering if anyon else has.

also, since my guitar has 2 humbucker placement areas, would it be possible to also stick in an invader SH8 into the bridge pickup and have a fernandes sustainer in the neck pickup?
I don't have any nifty things to stick here, so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head.

Pancake Bunny
If it has Duncan Designed pickups, putting the genuine Seymour Duncans in it would indeed improve the tone. It would still sound similar though, just with a higher quality of sound.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
it will sound quite a bit better. the real duncans sound much better than the duncan designed and you will be able to put a sustainer in there if you want to.
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
I asked the same question a while back. Apparently there is a quite a difference in quality, materials used, country they are made, and sound. The sh8 is a lot better than the crappy duncan designed hb108
Quote by mohawkkidJohn
get a nice set of duncan live wires.

TS only asked about the difference between the DD and SD versions of the Invader. Plus, if he gets the SD version, it'll sound almost just like the Synyster Custom
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
TS only asked about the difference between the DD and SD versions of the Invader. Plus, if he gets the SD version, it'll sound almost just like the Synyster Custom

oh really? sexy.

i'm so getting one. :P

Also, would it be worth it to get two of the SH8s instead of one SH8 and a sustainer? I'd save about $70, but I don't know if the sustainer is truly worth the $150 it costs. infinite sustain sounds pretty awesome though.
I don't have any nifty things to stick here, so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head.

Pancake Bunny
Quote by forsaknazrael
I wouldn't get the Invaders...They're rubbish pickups, IMO.

What kind of music do you play?

lots of early avenged sevenfold, lamb of god, tool- heavier stuff. i do like playing the occasional my chemical romance or sum 41, though.

Pancake Bunny
SH-1 '59 in the neck, and an SH-11 Custom custom in the bridge.
Way more versatile than the Invaders, and way more clarity. It'll be able to do that kind of heavy stuff (LOG's Mark Morton uses a pair of '59's in his guitar.) Adam Jones mostly uses the stock stuff in his guitars, I think.
MCR has been playing more classic rock voiced stuff as of late, so this combo will hit that easy.

Get your gain and distortion from your amp.

BTW, what kind of amp do you have?
Thanks for the info-

I'm using a Crate GX-212 amp. not the greatest, but since i just play at home its fine for me.

i was hoping to get decent distortion from the pickups, though, because currently I get a good sound out but it's not as distorted as i wish it could be- a distortion pedal (boss ds-1) sounds pretty much terrible with this amp.

honestly though, i've fallen in love with the sound of synyster gates' custom guitar, so i was hoping to get as close to that as possible. i just love the sound.

Pancake Bunny
Last edited by SchitzoJoe at Sep 16, 2007,
Hm...Maybe just stick with the stock pickups, then, man.

As much as I hate the Invaders...Pickup upgrades aren't gonna going to make a huge difference through that amp.

If you can afford to toss out 150-160 bucks towards new pickups, you can look towards a new amp that will make a bigger difference to your tone.

EDIT: You don't get distortion from your pickups. You get it from your amp. Trust me. And Gates' guitar sounds great because of a lot of production work.
Yeah, I'm looking towards a new amp somewhere here in the near future, just wanting to hopefully be able to get a better sound out of my guitar for the time being, and have something that will pay off once i get a new amp.

Pancake Bunny
Quote by forsaknazrael
Er...I guess it will pay off then, but like I said, it's a 150 bucks that will hardly make a difference now, that could go towards a good amp.
Toss down 500-700 bucks, and you can have a great tube combo that's even gig-worthy, my friend. So wasting 150 bucks towards that is a big chunk, wouldn't you say?

well considering that the pickups could potentially be gotten for me by friends for x-mas, not that much of a loss for me. xD but yeah, i see where you're coming from. i've barely had this amp for a few months, though, i want to see what i can do with it before i actually just toss this one out in the garage.

Pancake Bunny
Okay - well, so long as it isn't your money.
Well, Synyster uses the SH-8's in his guitar, but I haven't really liked his live tone. On studio work, it sounds good enough. Nothing spectacular or particularly inspiring, IMO, though.

The pickups I recommended are a good well rounded combo. With the right amp, that is.

Look towards the Peavey Windsor Studio that'll be coming out later this year..Only 400 bucks, supposedly. That'll be plenty loud to get over drums, and for small gigs. Mic-ed, it'll be able to do bigger gigs, too.
well thanks everyone for your help

no one answered one of my other questions, though:

if i were to get the SH8, would it be better to just get 2 SH8s and save about $70 or buy the SH8 and a fernandes sustainer?

Pancake Bunny
I would hardly recommend 1 SH8, let alone two of them .

Would you ever use the Sustainer? Do you play gigs?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by SchitzoJoe
well thanks everyone for your help

no one answered one of my other questions, though:

if i were to get the SH8, would it be better to just get 2 SH8s and save about $70 or buy the SH8 and a fernandes sustainer?

I actually did answer your question, just with an answer you didn't want to hear: Don't buy the Invaders. They're terrible. Seriously.

And why don't you go out and try a guitar with a sustainer, see if you like it? I like the tones I get on my neck pickup, so I wouldn't trade that for anything.
haha, well since no one likes the SH8s i guess i'll have to go find a guitar with them and try it out to see if they're really as crappy as people say they are.

and i don't play gigs, but i think a sustainer would be cool since i like to play some tool songs that have crazy sustain (i.e. Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann) and it would just be a cool thing to mess around with.

and i'll probably go up to guitar center or something sometime and try out a guitar with a sustainer.

----

edit: also what about a duncan sh-6 distortion on the neck? some people say it gives pretty great sustain for cheaper than a sustainer.

Pancake Bunny
Last edited by SchitzoJoe at Sep 17, 2007,
SH-6 in the neck? No, I don't think that's a good idea. I like a lower output pickup in the neck, for more versatility. Besides, who told you it gives sustain like a sustainer..? It's just a normal pickup.

If you need more sustain, play loud, and pump up the gain, and work on your technique.

Try a guitar with SH-8's through a good tube amp, then play one with good passive pickups.
Quote by SchitzoJoe
Thanks for the info-

I'm using a Crate GX-212 amp. not the greatest, but since i just play at home its fine for me.

i was hoping to get decent distortion from the pickups, though, because currently I get a good sound out but it's not as distorted as i wish it could be- a distortion pedal (boss ds-1) sounds pretty much terrible with this amp.

honestly though, i've fallen in love with the sound of synyster gates' custom guitar, so i was hoping to get as close to that as possible. i just love the sound.

No you haven't, you've fallen in love weith the sound of his amp. Invaders blow, I honestly can't imagine the Duncan Designed versions sounding any worse. You don't get distortion from pickups, you get it from the amp...hot pickups can make your amp distort earlier but ultimately the amp is most important. Changing the pickups isn't going to make an awful lot of difference with your current amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com