Hi all, I know know there's some official refinishing threads, but I have a specific question about my 97 LP Studio.

What it is, is that I've grown the loathe the wine-red finish, and was wondering if it'd be possible to just strip it off and have a kind of 'natural satin' type look.

So is this even possible? And if so, what's my best way of going about it?

I'd been led to believe that the Studios are made out of off-cuts and stuff rather than nice blocks of quality wood, so could it be that this simply isn't possible?

I'm totally out of my depth here, so any help would be greatly appriciated.

Cheers
Yes you can do it, if you checked the refinishing thread you would know how.

I have never ever heard bad comments about the way the studios are built, I have heard that their hardware and electronics are lower quality than classic LPs.

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Thanks for that.

Yes, the refinishing thread is excellent and provides all my answers with regards to the 'how' of it.

What I'm trying to figure out now is if it's worth it at all.... What I'd like is a nice natural/stained wood look, but if the wood underneath the finish is decent enough and will look nice I have no idea.

Anyone know for sure? Is this a good idea?

I really really dislike red. Red guitars are the bane of my life, they follow me around. I must be rid of them

Cheers
You'd want to hope so...

f**k it, might aw well give it a go, nothing could look worse than the wine-red

According to the Gibson website it's a mahogany back and maple top... so that'll mean a darker back/neck and a lighter top.. is that right?

Also, does anyone know: will I have to unglue the neck or anything, or can I do it all in one go?

Cheers
Funny you should post this. I am actually right in the middle of doing exactly what you are thinking about doing. I have a early 90's LP Studio in Alpine White that took years of abuse from playing shows. I have seen some of the recent LP's in a natural finish straight from Gibson that looked amazing, so figured I would give it a go on mine. I think the wood underneath looks awesome and can not wait to get all new gold hardware for mine to finish it off. Right now, I am still in the process of clear coating it.

Anyway...here are some pics from the other day after laying down the vinyl sealer. Hope this helps!

Brilliant! Thanks so much, that's pretty much made my mind up

If you have the time/inclination, I'd love to hear what you did to get it to this point(did you sand? or use chemicals).

Are you going to do any kind of binding or anything?

Mine's already got the gold hardware (though it's getting a bit worn and crappy), I think that'll look excellent with the natural finish. I think the scratchplate will add a nice touch to the look too.. are you going to have one on?

Thanks again, that's awesome! (And do post more pics if you get chance, I'll be very interested to see how it turns out).
Last edited by beavis07 at Sep 16, 2007,
Quote by HooliganR6
Funny you should post this. I am actually right in the middle of doing exactly what you are thinking about doing. I have a early 90's LP Studio in Alpine White that took years of abuse from playing shows. I have seen some of the recent LP's in a natural finish straight from Gibson that looked amazing, so figured I would give it a go on mine. I think the wood underneath looks awesome and can not wait to get all new gold hardware for mine to finish it off. Right now, I am still in the process of clear coating it.

Anyway...here are some pics from the other day after laying down the vinyl sealer. Hope this helps!

Im doing the same to my Epi Les paul standard, trying to get it to a nice natural. I used a heat gun on the top and back, back worked fine, but the top was a bad idea. The maple started to wave about, and I've got some cracks in it. Did you just sand your finish down? did you use a power sander or just by hand? Cause Im trying it by hand and its taking forever, but Im afraid if i use a power sander Ill screw up the contour. thanks
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.