so i want to lower the action on my acoustic and as on my last one i figured that the best way would be to shave off the required amount off the bottom of the bridge saddle piece. however on my taylor 110 it is glued in and even after trying a tip i heard to get a glued saddle out (carefully apply a bit of heat with a hairdryer) it wouldn't budge.

any advice?

duv x
Unless some previous owner made a mistake here, it is very unlikely your bridge piece has been glued in place. An acoustic only, not having a PE pick up, can have it's bridge piece fairly tightly fit though. Maybe it's buckled somewhat and jammed even tighter in its slot. This is not an uncommon problem.
Don't do the heating trick. If it is just jammed, it will do nothing to solve the problem. Even if it is glued, you don't know what kind of glue has been used, so you're not really certain if it will soften when heated. The glue holding the bridge, the top halves and the bracing defenitely will give way if exposed to high temperatures, so there is a considerable chance you damage other parts.
If the bridge piece can not be pulled out with a plier, destructive measurements may be required, but make sure you destroy the bridge piece only. Milling it out with a dremel, using lots of masking tape, a steady hand, patience and concentration should get the slot cleaned out sufficiently to allow a new bridge piece to be fitted.
^-- agreed. unless you bought your guitar second-hand, there is no reason why a taylor 110 should have the saddle glued into place. try using a pair of needle-nose pliers to pull it out. take a linen napkin or several paper napkins and use them to keep the teeth from the pliers from actually coming into contact with the saddle. in my experience, it often works best to start near the edge of one side of the saddle and try to pull it out just a little, then switch to the other side. just go a little at a time until you can pull the entire saddle out. when using pliers you want to be very careful if you have a compensated saddle (i.e. if there is an indention where the B string goes across). if you have a compensated saddle, be careful not to grip the saddle on that portion.
I'll agree with the above post, I've never seen an acoustic with a saddle glued in. If you're not sure how to proceed, or worried about damaging it, take it to a shop. The method outlined above should get it out though, just be careful. I've seen plenty bridge saddles tight enough they require pliers to remove. If you can get some, flat nosed parallel pliers work even better.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
^ There are indeed guitars out there with the saddles glued in place, such as older Martin's and some vintage remakes. It really would be best to take it in to a professional luthier to have it done right the first time, rather than risk damaging the guitar. I've provided a link to a very very good luthiers site in case you would like to attempt it yourself. Patience is key here, and if in doubt, ask in here for pointers or take it in.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html#Musician
I had the same thing happen with a guitar one time and called around and found a guy in town that agreed to give it a try on the spot. He tried using a pair of pliers and when that didn't work he took a syringe with a mixture of dish soap and water and slowly apply the mixture. He did this for an hour then took the pliers and tried again and the saddle lifted off.

Go figure???