I just started playing a few months ago and my goal is to start a band. I know technically, one can start a band at anytime and at any level of playing, but how good should one be before starting a band that can at least play some songs?

What should we know?
Playing power-chords perfectly is probably the most basic level
it worked for B182, Green Day, Nirvana etc.
true true^

really what I've found out (ive tried being in quite a few defferent bands) is if you write your own music, it isnt as much how talented you are at the instruments, its more how well the band works together and can build off of each other.

for example, I'm a decent drummer, and my friend is a really good guitarist, and we had a so-so vocalist, but when we tried to make music we all just felt retarded and it all fell apart.

worry about band-mates before you worry about how good you are. the more you guys practice together and learn from each other, the better you will get.
Quote by Horlicks

You can form a great band with no skill at all. Look at (e.g) Half Japanese. The guitarist can't actually play at all. They are pretty good though.

So what ^ said.
It doesn't matter what you know. try writting a series of notes, or a riff if you like it, elaborate. After a while you will have yourself a song. Methinks that if you can play a few decent original songs, you can start a band. Saying that, if you aren't an experienced guitarist, your band will take longer to be famous, because it's harder to write songs like this.
Quote by Horlicks
They did/do play power chords, but you have to be good enough to write them.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
ya it depends on the music too...like theres this one kid i know and he plays not very well, doesnt know much about phrasing in solos, and only really knows a few scales and chords, but he plays in a 3-piece band thats amzing and huge around here...check em out on myspace...say domino i think...its a good example of what im talking about
just because a band only uses powerchords, it doesnt mean they cant play anything harder.

im sure blink 182 had a working knowledge of musical theory, at least that of the major scale. I cant imagine anyone getting that famous by just randomly picking notes and stringing power chords together.

so id say once you have the ability to play pretty flawlessly (you dont have to be super technical, just able to play without mistakes) and have a bit of creativity to write music that hasnt been written before, then you can start a band.
it's all about being rhythmically tight and good song writing.
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats