Questions have been bothering me about my next guitar. I was wondering whether to get an Epiphone G-400 or a Fender Standard Stratocaster. It seems as though the Fender is a better deal, but i need to make sure.

The Strat

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516037

or the Epi

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G400-SG-Electric-Guitar?sku=518291

or the vintage Epi

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Vintage-G400-Electric-Guitar?sku=518669
I HAVE A BAND NAMED FALLING CONFESSIONS
AND I PLAY LEAD GUITAR
AND I P0WN!!!

"When there's a freakin' will, there is always a freakin' way!"
Go for the Strat mate, my friends brother brought a Mex Standard yesterday and its bloody good.
HSS Strat FTW.
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
Well I have a Starcaster HSS and its pretty good. Is there any difference between them?

I don't wanna change pickups. I was looking for a guitar that the stock pickups will do fine with.

EDIT: I wanted variety. I play punk and modern stuff, but I also play some like 80's and 70's solos. I was looking for a guitar with that stuff WITH ITS ORIGINAL PICKUPS. I like a high out-put guitar.
AND I PLAY LEAD GUITAR
AND I P0WN!!!

You're not going to find many guitars at that price range with decent stock pickups...unless your willing to go used
Ibanez RGT42FX
Vox AD30VT-XL

Quote by Attack
No. In Soviet Russia, Hell goes to you,
Depends on your playing style/ what music you want to play..[/QUOTE

QUESTION: Is your Epiphone Vintage Cherry G-400 any good? Describe it?

EDIT: My previous guitar was a Les Paul 100 by Epiphone and I was okay with it. I was just looking for something a bit better. That's why i started looking at G-400s.
AND I PLAY LEAD GUITAR
AND I P0WN!!!

Yeah its a really nice guitar, but the quality might vary from epi to epi so its always good to see which is the best at the store. My g400 is perfect for classic rock, blues, and sounds good for metal too but I'm still thinking about changing the bridge pickup for a higher output one but its pretty good as is. And if i had the choice between std strats and the g400 i would choose the g400 but thats just me.
Quote by yoyodunno
Yeah its a really nice guitar, but the quality might vary from epi to epi so its always good to see which is the best at the store. My g400 is perfect for classic rock, blues, and sounds good for metal too but I'm still thinking about changing the bridge pickup for a higher output one but its pretty good as is.

Ok. Thanks... THat's all i needed to know.
AND I PLAY LEAD GUITAR
AND I P0WN!!!

The new g400s coming out of gibson's china plant are quite good from what I've been hearing (EE serials). Prob with the epi bashers is they picked up a guitar in GC that's been played by 500 ppl before then, has never had a setup done to it and the strings are the original factory set... will it sound good? Of course not. And if a person is to lazy to cherry pick their Epi (ie.. try every damn LP/SG on the rack to find one that sings to you) then boo hoo to bad and go preach how bad Epi's are to a choir of satisfied users that don't give a damn what you think.
i had this same problem could not chose between the sg or strat and i went to a local gc and tryed them i liked the strat alot beter b/c the sg's neck was heavy but u should go to a gc and try them ur self. But really the strat is amazing
go for the SG. not the vintage one. you have better lower fret access. plus SGs pickups sound thicker than the stats single coils.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Artist
IbanezGXR20
Line 6 Spider ll 75
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Nano Small Stone
Alvarez FF60WR

Labyrinth Within
i like epi's but the bottom of the pile ones are not too hot. you are probably better off with the strat.
My first guitar was a G400. It was alright, but I gave it away after 9 months.

The pickups are very bland and the electronics are crappy.

There are a lot of guitars that I wish I would have bought instead.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.