So, I want to start a metal band. Most people around here listen to retardxcore and nu-metal, not real metal, and the ones who listen to metal don't play an instrument. I'm sure there are though, so how do you guys advise go about finding them?
an ad in the newspaper

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
post want ads in your local guitar store and go to metal shows and talk to everyone that you can.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
well ipersonaly like nu-metal

but thats just me

umm put out an ad at school or in the paper?

luck has been found in paper ads before.. KISS, Metallica.. list goes on

well not really
Quote by civildp1
post want ads in your local guitar store and go to metal shows and talk to everyone that you can.

Haha, there are no metal bands or stores around here dude. I've thought of all that, plus no one reads the paper... =P
Quote by Tehzekester
Haha, there are no metal bands or stores around here dude. I've thought of all that, plus no one reads the paper... =P

there's metal bands everywhere. You're just not looking hard enough.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Don't insult hardcore!!!!

and to find band members, post adds everywhere u can possibly think of!
Look around your friends if there are any musicians who wanna get into a band... They might not like your genre but u can always find a middle ground!
Quote by Tehzekester
Lol, there's not. They're all retardxcore who think they're metal. I live in a very rural area, if there was a metal band, I would have heard of them.

Stop insulting metalcore please. Personally, I like it. If you feel the need to insult a gerne, let it be gangsta rap. They don't even play instruments, just a drum machine and talking fast about slapping a hoe.

I live in a county with 44,200 at the 2000 census. Projected 49,500 in 2010. There are tons of metal bands here. (Yes, a whole county.)

PS: Please explain why you hate metalcore. I explained why I hate gangsta rap. You need to open your mind to something besides true metal or you will not find a band.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Sep 16, 2007,
Because it's repetitive, generic, and annoying. They rip off melodic death metal riffs. It's not technically astounding. It sounds like ass to me. The bands dress like they're gay too.

Also, in the counties I live closest to, there's probably about 10,000 people. I live in the South, so people like country, or think they're metal and listen stuff like Atreyu or Slipknot.
I agree Atreyu is kinda generic, but not all metalcore is.

And wow, I though I lived in a rural area. But my county is one of the biggest in California. The population density is 3/km² according to Wikipedia.

And people like country here too. Most of it I can't stand. Some of it is OK (meaning I can tolerate it) but god, some of the stuff they sing about makes you wonder.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Sep 16, 2007,
Quote by Tehzekester
I'm not insulting hardcore, I'm insulting retardxcore, which includes (but is not limited to) Atreyu, Bullet For My Valentine, etc.

Well, that metalcore...

I've got a hardcore band. The music might sound repetitive and same but its got a lot of meaning and heart into it. Probably more than any other genre. I doubt anyone elz take their music as seriously as hardcore heads!
Quote by Masonpwiley
Stop insulting metalcore please. Personally, I like it. If you feel the need to insult a gerne, let it be gangsta rap. They don't even play instruments, just a drum machine and talking fast about slapping a hoe.

I live in a county with 44,200 at the 2000 census. Projected 49,500 in 2010. There are tons of metal bands here. (Yes, a whole county.)

PS: Please explain why you hate metalcore. I explained why I hate gangsta rap. You need to open your mind to something besides true metal or you will not find a band.

48,000 at our last census. i feel your pain, because everyone at my school likes either country or rap, its really depressing

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Get the Nu Metal fans to play with you, try and get them into your music
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Tehzekester
Because it's repetitive, generic, and annoying. They rip off melodic death metal riffs. It's not technically astounding. It sounds like ass to me. The bands dress like they're gay too.

I'm glad someone knows something about music.

'metalcore' - is insulting to even have metal in the title but anyway the whole genre is a bunch of recycled Death and NWOBHM riffs.
I collect clothes and IKEA furniture. Who are you?
I seem to be one of the only remaining people who seems to see something great in every genre of music, and doesn't really discriminate against a certain genre cause its not something I personally love...

Hardcore: While it's not my personal choice of music, they often have awesome rhythms, that are fun to just drive around with, and mosh to.

Metalcore: They often have good lyrics... I'm not normally into love lyrics, and thats what most metalcore bands sing about, love, but often times Metalcore is filled with good lyrics... yeah, not exactly original or inspiring music, but that's cause youre not looking for the good ones. All That Remains, Shadows Fall, The Human Abstract(Not sure if this is exactly metalcore... might be mathcore)... all examples of metalcore bands who are original... you just have to look a bit harder.

Gangsta Rap: Freakin hate the lyrics... hate the repetativeness.. but when youre hangin out with friends (girls, mostly) its quite fun to just dance and go crazy to... plus its easy to learn and sing along with.

Country: Most country nowadays isn't that good... its basically rap with a guitar instead of a drum machine. Though, I'd say country just hits a spot for me, since I grew up listening to it with my mom and dad... of course, I eventually grew out of it.

Ok that about covers all the genres discussed in this thread thus far... I'm sure noone really cares about my opinion, but hopefully I'll alter someones opinion of music for the better...

And in case someone flames me for this (Yeah, I dunno, I've been flamed on all sorts of forums for no reasons at all)... I primarily listen Melodic Death/Power Metal.

Such as Wintersun, Dark Tranuillity, Children of Bodom, In Flames, Kalmah, Darkest Hour, Insomnium, Warmen, etc etc...

My advice for everyone, stop focusing on what you hate about other kinds of music, and figure out what you really like about that kind of music... It will sometimes open your eyes to new musical possibilities... ya know... if you're in a band, and whatnot.

Peace
~~You are nothing. I am a God among men, creating the Universe before leaving you blinded and wandering.~~
Letters to Zaya
You would love to be where I live then. Soooo many metal bands. None of them good. Mostly the hardcore metal stuff where the lead singer makes weird primordial grunting into the mic with an annoying undertone of repetitive guitar palm-muted chord blasting in drop D, just the same **** you hear all the time, nothing new or unique, and the guitarists all play Dimebag's reissue razorback, not that I don't love Dimebag, it just seems like a poser thing to do when you play somebody elses signature guitar. I share your irritation with xcore.

P.S. I find it Ironic that people talk **** about rap (not that I don't despise it) when screaming into a mic isn't much better. It's all about the melodic metal and talented singers for me.