hello everyone,
ok my title is pretty explanatory...i am trying to learn how to sweep pick and tap...i already learned economy picking and my chords, but with the songs i want to play i have a problem learning tapping and sweep picking...my sweep pickings isnt great, on an odd day i get 1 good sweep...but then it goes away the rest of the month (haha). my tapping sounds bad, because when i begin to tap the volume of the notes drop from a high to a low sound...
can someone help me, with excercices of sweeping, or amp/pedal (multi-puropse pedal) settings to make my tapping have similar volume compared to my picking

my pedal is a Zoom GFX-3
i dont have an amp i am saving up for a hartke piggyback though
my guitar is an Ibanez XPT700

thank you
When tapping it'll help if you use a large amount of gain. On the sweeping I can't really give you any advice except to practice. I can't do it either, never really bothered.
Quote by HeliuM
When tapping it'll help if you use a large amount of gain. On the sweeping I can't really give you any advice except to practice. I can't do it either, never really bothered.

ok, i will totally gain up my guitar pedal for that
Also always use the same finger so you can grow a tougher peace of flesh, I'd recommend middle so you quickly switch to normal picking.
Quote by HeliuM
Also always use the same finger so you can grow a tougher peace of flesh, I'd recommend middle so you quickly switch to normal picking.

OK that makes sense heliuM, thank you very much for your help
for the sweeps, i SERIOUSLY recommend doing it to a metronome, at like 60 or 70....something REAAALLLYYYY slow, so it's really easy for you to do. It's boring as hell i know, but you'll thank yourself later when you can sweep at 140 nonstop all over the fretboard haha
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
try to learn some shapes to sweep to help make it easier. Sweeping isn't something you can learn unless someone is doing it right in front of you and breaking it down into how you do it.
UG RPG - Big Band Jazz Group
Buckethead4Prez - String Bass

PM me to Join
Quote by stephen_rettie
when you tap pull off at an angle are you doing this? cause ive seen ppl just hitting the strings and its just not right

well...what i used to do was just tap right down and instantly pull off...then automatically release for the third sound...then do it again.
now i push down, kind of pull my finger in a pinch form to get a higher sound, then pull down the second finger to get a third sound...sadly i have to do it slower because i cant do that fast.
If you've not been playing that long you want to hold off doing advanced stuff like tapping and sweeping. Those techniques require that your basic abilities are pretty well honed...accurate, clean fretting and picking, smooth movement around the fretboard, economical movements etc.

If your technique is sloppy then your tapping and sweeping will be, and they'll stay that way until you sort out the basics.

[Edit] no, a few months is not long in guitar terms - chances are you're barrelling through techniques without fully learning them, review everything yo know and assess it honestly. You'll find that there's a lot of stuff you actually aren't all that good at, and you should concentrate on sorting that out before looking any further ahead.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 16, 2007,