http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/peavey-valve-king-212/68977
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD7EoehgpsA

So far I've heard nothing but good things about it, and it's powerful enough for a quality live sound, which is what I want.
Only problem is, there are no stores around here that sell them, so I'd have to do it online. Actually that isn't really a problem.

All I wanna know is if you guys have had any experience with these amps? What are your thoughts/opinions on them? And can anyone recommend a better value for money amp in this price range?
my friend has one, its good.
the distortion is very dirty and you just cant get a crisp sound out of it. its loud as hell
its pretty decent for metal
Quote by RX120D
my friend has one, its good.
the distortion is very dirty and you just cant get a crisp sound out of it. its loud as hell
its pretty decent for metal

That's strange, on that YouTube demonstration even open chords sounded nice and clear
I own it, and I won't lie here, I was disappointed. I realised soon after I bought that I could get better amps for the same price but used.

I would advise that you get the 112 version because it's cheaper and 50 watts doesn't actually make a huge difference in volume. I seroiusly doubt you are playing gigs big enough to need 100 valve watts. (Again, this was my mistake)

As for the sound, cleans are nic but lack a certain sparkle. The distortion is pretty thin as far as valve amps go but you can get a good classic rock tone from it. If you turn the gain up and use the gain boost you could get enough for a less heavy metal tone. I would seriously advise that you use a booster, whatever you play, as it makes it sound alot better. I'm boosting with amy multiFX pedal and even that improves the sound.

I advise you to think seriously before you buy it and don't be lured by the high wattage/ low price thing. look around for some used amps.
Dude its tottaly awesome ( i own it) but i must say you wont get those tight scooped metal sounds out of it.
Its more of an 80s metal amp.
YOu should totaly get it,
Quote by Retro Rocker
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/peavey-valve-king-212/68977
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD7EoehgpsA

So far I've heard nothing but good things about it, and it's powerful enough for a quality live sound, which is what I want.
Only problem is, there are no stores around here that sell them, so I'd have to do it online. Actually that isn't really a problem.

All I wanna know is if you guys have had any experience with these amps? What are your thoughts/opinions on them? And can anyone recommend a better value for money amp in this price range?

Order it off GAK like i did
I used to own the 212 so i shall be king of answering in here =]

But not

Anyway - for its price range it's a very good starter valve amp but yeah

It's BLOODY loud and BLOODY heavy [the 2x12 is like 70lb's] - It's got goodish cleans and a decent OD

I'd recommend it if you want 6L6's and a very loud config

EDIT: As 'sam i am' said, it's not the best you can get, i changed for a Laney personally, and used you could get some great amps

Also ^ It's not an 80's metal amp
If you want saturated ball yankingly metal distortion then no it wont, it can do metal at a pinch, possibly when cranked, but you'll most likely need a pedal for that
Oh and about getting a crisp sound, I find I can manage... but I'm quite liberal with the mid & treble controls. If you tried scooping or something it would be muddy.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Dude its tottaly awesome ( i own it) but i must say you wont get those tight scooped metal sounds out of it.
Its more of an 80s metal amp.
YOu should totaly get it,

That sounds like my sort of thing then, I'm not really one for the 'tuned-to-the-floor-chuggachugga-rawr' metal.
Priest, Maiden, Ozzy and Alice Cooper are about as heavy as I get. I like a lot of the cheesey hair metal/glam bands like Poison, Twisted Sister etc.
Last edited by Retro Rocker at Sep 16, 2007,
^ Hrm it MAY get that, but i'd say priest is as much as it would go, but it's worth trying it out, and don't go for the 212
I find my VK 112 to be ideal for classic rock and blues. Won't do metal well, but for my style it has plenty of thick distortion on tap. The cleans are fine for me, not Fender but I don't play super clean anyway (for that I use my solid state amps.) I find that with the right guitar and some EQ tweaks I get plenty of sparkle in the cleans for me. Try it and others. It may or may not be for you. You really have to spend some time EQing, its definitely not plug and play. Scooped mids destroy the sound.
Quote by uldhppi
I find my VK 112 to be ideal for classic rock and blues. Won't do metal well, but for my style it has plenty of thick distortion on tap. The cleans are fine for me, not Fender but I don't play super clean anyway (for that I use my solid state amps.) I find that with the right guitar and some EQ tweaks I get plenty of sparkle in the cleans for me. Try it and others. It may or may not be for you. You really have to spend some time EQing, its definitely not plug and play. Scooped mids destroy the sound.

Yeah I find it's not really great for metal on it's own but with the right pedals you can pull it off. The cleans I really like with my Strat plugged in but I have a different idea of a good clean sound. IMO it's a really nice sounding amp but I haven't played throgh $3000+ of equipment nor have I been playing long enough to say just how good it really is but I get the sound I want from it. Speaker/tube changes supposedly work wonders for it too.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
anyone want to buy my valveking112?
c-1 classic
mim strat (not fender)
valveking 112
Boss dd20 giga delay
Boss phase shifter
more to come
fender acoustic

my band

Quote by someperson
buy a wah wah pedal. Easier to use, and you won't have to re-tune your guitar after you use it.
Quote by Retro Rocker
That sounds like my sort of thing then, I'm not really one for the 'tuned-to-the-floor-chuggachugga-rawr' metal.
Priest, Maiden, Ozzy and Alice Cooper are about as heavy as I get. I like a lot of the cheesey hair metal/glam bands like Poison, Twisted Sister etc.

probably better with the windsor for those tones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?