Page 1 of 9
I have a tele build going, so I thought i would ad to all of the commotion in the garage and start another guitar. I know, what a logical thing to do. But the guy we buy stuff from on ebay is giving us a great deal on everything and shipping is really low. Im talking $150 for all the hardware on my Jem, my Tele, and my dads Tele. South East Music is the name of his ebay store.

So anyways, here what ive got so far. The neck has been laminated, and i will post pics when i rout the channel for the truss rod. Right now the body is in the sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding stage. I am not cutting the pickups till they get here, for that reason i think ill make a list of whats going on this thing.

24 fret ebony fingerboard
curly maple neck w/mahogany stripe
Im going to make a reverse headstock (it looks too cool)
fixed bridge (its my guitar, i do what i want)
black hardware
fernandes sustainer in the neck, and Dimarzio breed in the bridge
For the color scheme, i got really turned onto the whole swirling thing. So im swirling a bright green and black.

Thats about it, now here are the pix!

looks pretty cool, i'll be waiting to see how it turns out not sure about the swirly green and black, might look a bit alienated but like you said, your guitar you can do what you like. Best of luck with it
*thinks to self, rather philosophically*

i wish i was talented enough to build a guitar from scratch...
yes a thread.
like ive said before i think this is fantastic man, keep up the good work and keep us updated.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by forsaknazrael
That's the cutaway..

Yep, the right horn

So in conclusion for today:

Everything was ordered that i need, and should arrive midweek/end of. I used wood filler to fill any and all little cracks and dings here and there. Tomorrow i have school (yay) and afterwards i will sand the entire body. I cant think of anything else to do....so i guess ill wait until my parts arrive. Again i dont want to do anything with the neck/neck pocket until the truss rod gets here, and i dont want to rout the body without the pickup in hand.

Anyone know anything about the Dimarzio Breeds? I want the bridge pup in the green/black config. But i can only seem to find the neck pup, although a lot of sites are telling me that i can use that in the bridge to get better harmonics and a smoother tone.
Last edited by dogismycopilot at Sep 16, 2007,
I like your template..... made me feel like i was stuck in a vortex... Gahhhhhhhhh.
Also nice project lol.
Quote by dogismycopilot
Anyone know anything about the Dimarzio Breeds? I want the bridge pup in the green/black config. But i can only seem to find the neck pup, although a lot of sites are telling me that i can use that in the bridge to get better harmonics and a smoother tone.

Really? Could you please direct me to said sites?

neck and bridge pole piece placement will be a little off..
Go to ebay, and type in Breed. Narrow the search to pickups and you will see the pickup that i want being sold by a store on ebay. Only its the neck pup not the bridge.
So i got the body neck joint rounded a little. EVERYTHING is ordered now off of stew-mac/ebay. When things get here, like the fretboard, it will be fitted and the work on the neck will start back up. I have to say i a little scared because i am a little impatient and it takes time to do a neck. Alice in chains came on the radio, that why I had the urge to play along in the last pic.

man thats sweet, what did you use to cut the armrest ?
and how did you get the edges smooth ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
I used a saws all, or a reciprocating saw like this. I put it at an angle and i just fired away. Of course i got as close as i could that i was comfortable with and then i took it slow from there. No point is going as fast as you possibly can and making it look ****ty. http://www.customtoolsupply.com/images/6515-99-lg.jpg

After that it was just a lot of sanding with 80 grit to get rid of any big bumps around the perimeter. Then i moved to 120 to smooth it down. I also used my fingers as a gauge to smooth the edges. All the little splotches and yellow spots are where i used the filler.
dude thats amazing how you did that with that saw. i still really wanna build a jem, shame mine went wrong though.
ive still got the dream to hang onto, might just buy an RG and cut out a monkey grip lol.
but that is sweeeet.
what wood is it btw ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Parts should be here tomorrow. Im camping out front of my house to ensure i maximize my time when my parts get here. If they dont arrive im going to cry.
^ i know the feeling of missing the post lol.
so what exactly has been ordered ? give us some detail.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
interesting using a saw. never heard of that i think id be able to do it quicker and more accurate the way i do it now though. good work so far.
Well they didnt come today. Tomorrow the stuff from Stew-mac will arrive around midday, and i can measure up the fretboard and "stuff". The hardware for the teles and the jem are arriving Saturday or Monday at the latest.
Alright. Absolutely everything came in yesterday. Ive been too busy with the neck, that i haven't posted any pictures. I tried my luck at cutting it, measuring about 9,000,000 times and then cutting it, but i always seem to overlook something. I ran into a few problems with length issues, and i needed to glue some things together to re-sand them. Tomorrow i will get as far as i can. Hopefully i will have a pic of the neck with the truss rod channel cut out of it.

Anyone have any cool ideas on fret markers? I want something i can easily install. I dont want to use white dots. I might just have a bare fingerboard with no markers at all.
no inlays will look amazing , what FB did you buy actualy ?
and what exactly did you order ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Hmm, well i ordered everything from Stew-Mac or on ebay from the guy at South East Music. The fretboard was ebony, 24 fret, 25.5" scale, 12" radius(#1062, read the fine print to get the radius you want). Carvin, yes the real Carvin where they make guitars and stuff, is only about 10min from where i live, so i bought strap pins and the nut from them. The nut is graphite, and the pins are black. The pickup will, hopefully, be in tomorrow. So i get to rush home and make sure that it fits the jig. Below is the pic of all the stuff. Anything specific you want info on admbwr? Oh, and not pictured is the trussrod (stew-mac #1177-E)and the ebony fret board(# above).

nope thats fine, this build is so sweet.
are you doing a flame,curley or quilt top or anything? if not what are you thinking ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Im going to swirl black and green for the body and the headstock. After i saw that video on your build, i couldnt resist. Thats really how this project began. I didnt have a guitar that "screamed". Pretty funny actually. The neck is curly maple with a mahogany stripe down the center.
oh very very nice, i'm going to / already have been following this thread, till the end. ive still got my heart set on building a really nice jem one day.. a 7 string.
i know its sorta a finishing touch but what are you putting on the headstock if you've even thought about that ?
i really need help with some ideas.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
well, im doing a reverse headstock. Ive wanted one ever since ive seen chad from CKY a few years back. I think i might just put Ibanez on it.
I bought some sanding sealer and paint today, and lucky me, the dumbass girl checking me out gave me the wrong paint can. She gave me a latex paint in the right shade of green......but its latex, which is not an oil. Does anyone know where i can buy some oil based paint? I mean is it as easy as going to home depot and showing them what color i want?
which carvin store are you like 10 minutes from?

im like 2 minutes away from the one in Sacramento...

but how are you doing that swirl, and where are you getting the paint?
Gear:
Carvin Bolt-T -> Line 6 DL-4 -> Danelectro Fish and Chips -> Homemade Fuzz -> Epiphone Valve Junior Combo -> Amplitube and Guitar Rig.
Quote by dogismycopilot
I bought some sanding sealer and paint today, and lucky me, the dumbass girl checking me out gave me the wrong paint can. She gave me a latex paint in the right shade of green......but its latex, which is not an oil. Does anyone know where i can buy some oil based paint? I mean is it as easy as going to home depot and showing them what color i want?

i share your pain, oil paints a bitch to find over here.
brands anyone?
and nice about the reverse headstock, not really a fan of them on ibanez but this is going to look awsome nonetheles
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
The Carvin shop is down here in San Diego. As i posted somewhere else, like a moron i didnt read the can, and just assumed it was a latex because of the texture. I remember her saying that oil paints are getting harder and harder to find these days, as everyone is switching to enamel or acrylic.

As for the paint. Im going to do a little experiment. Im one of those guys who dont believe anything is done the way it is told. Meaning I dont think that its as easy as mixing borax in, and then the colors and bla bla bla. So.........i took some sealer and covered a little piece of wood with it. Im going to go out in a few hours and dip it in a cup of water with the green paint that i bought swirled into it. THE BORAX WILL NOT BE MIXED IN. I dont feel like mixing it in is all. I will try to find out....

Will it stay afloat
Will it bind to the wood correctly
Will it tear a hole in the universe

I dont expect it to look good at all. I just want to see if it sticks, and if it floats. I repeat.....it will not look pretty, but i will post pictures of the piece. Oh, and for those of you who posted on my swirling thread.....i cant thank you enough. You made me feel a lot more confident. Peace!
Quote by dogismycopilot
The Carvin shop is down here in San Diego. As i posted somewhere else, like a moron i didnt read the can, and just assumed it was a latex because of the texture. I remember her saying that oil paints are getting harder and harder to find these days, as everyone is switching to enamel or acrylic.

As for the paint. Im going to do a little experiment. Im one of those guys who dont believe anything is done the way it is told. Meaning I dont think that its as easy as mixing borax in, and then the colors and bla bla bla. So.........i took some sealer and covered a little piece of wood with it. Im going to go out in a few hours and dip it in a cup of water with the green paint that i bought swirled into it. THE BORAX WILL NOT BE MIXED IN. I dont feel like mixing it in is all. I will try to find out....

Will it stay afloat
Will it bind to the wood correctly
Will it tear a hole in the universe

I dont expect it to look good at all. I just want to see if it sticks, and if it floats. I repeat.....it will not look pretty, but i will post pictures of the piece. Oh, and for those of you who posted on my swirling thread.....i cant thank you enough. You made me feel a lot more confident. Peace!

Hahahaha. Yeah, that's for sure.
Well....it did turn out well. But I added too much paint, and it began to drip. When i came back with the camera....my dad threw it away cause it looked "ugly". Go figure........ Anyway, tomorrow after school my pickup should be in, and i will rout the rest of the body. I WILL POST PICS I PROMISE.

I also have a tele build going, check it out its going pretty well.
Here is the pic of the color. And what it looks like (first coat) on a few scrap pieces of alder that were left after i cut the body.

Yea... You know when you do something, and the little guy in the back of your head tries to talk you out of it? Well i should have listened......because i hate the color more than drivers on cell phones. I want florescent green. Not baby poo green. My hunt continues. Oh yea the pickup came in today, it looks great, nice and green =). Tomorrow im routing the pickup cavities (it fits, wew!), and doing some sanding on the top. I still dont have the sustainer, because i cant find a cheap one anywhere; i know what your thinking, there is no such thing as a cheap fernandes sustainer. Well ill keep my hopes up and by the end of the week if i havent found anything, ill grab one for the full $150.00. Peace!