Ok so im looking into getting a new amp and ive come down to this choice.
Krank Rev Jr
Peavey 5150/6505 (combo)
Now the krank is a bit cheaper roughly 300$, they are both all tube.
would there be any downfall to a micro stack?
im just looking to see what your imput is on this, i play mainly powermetal so
I believe that im going to need some decent high gain output.
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Last edited by Sheepbane at Sep 16, 2007,
well the micro stack will not even come close volume wise.. whereas the 5150 combo will have tons of blast to it and be good for both jam and gig situation.

the 2 amps have some very different functions.. a microstack could be really good for recording since you could crank it without peeling the skin off of yourself.

this is only word of mouth but i've heard the Krank is terribly overpriced and doesn't sound that great. but we'll never know til you try it out.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
id say a 6505 if you want to gig without a good PA..... but the tone on both amps are different....ive never used the micro stack ive only used the full on half stack but i liked it alot (at a low volume) its a bit smoother than the 6505...good amp...but expensive as hell
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
dude have you ever played a krank??..there really good quality and ...the 6505 has very limited features
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
6505, extremely high gain, not as versatile at the 05+ but the rev Jr. i didnt like when i played it sounded mroe like.... just kind of crunchy unless you want to use some of the extra 300 youd save and buy a few boutique pedals, but yeah the rev jr. is good for recording and small practice situations the 6505 is is better for gigging and practidce but as for recording unless you have an attentuator your going to ahve to crank it pretty high and mighty to get a good sound for recording and depending ont he mic you use it mght mud it out and with 6505 if you plan on playing at high volumes because it is such a high gain amp you need will probably need a noise gate of some type but i ahve the 05+ and its a great amp hands down sir JMO though
Sex is good
Sex is fine
Doggy Style & 69
Just for fun
Or gettin paid
Everyone likes gettin laid
Quote by BlackList666
6505, extremely high gain, not as versatile at the 05+ but the rev Jr. i didnt like when i played it sounded mroe like.... just kind of crunchy unless you want to use some of the extra 300 youd save and buy a few boutique pedals, but yeah the rev jr. is good for recording and small practice situations the 6505 is is better for gigging and practidce but as for recording unless you have an attentuator your going to ahve to crank it pretty high and mighty to get a good sound for recording and depending ont he mic you use it mght mud it out and with 6505 if you plan on playing at high volumes because it is such a high gain amp you need will probably need a noise gate of some type but i ahve the 05+ and its a great amp hands down sir JMO though

If you plan on playing pretty much any hi-gain amp at higher volumes you need a noise gate.

I agree though that the 6505+ does sound a little smoother than the 6505, but it's not *that* different.

And you really don't need to crank a hi-gain head to get a good tone as most of the gain is in the preamps, it does sound better cranked, but an good recording tone can be easily achieved at lower volumes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i can not stand recording at low volumes to me its just a much sweeter more brutal sound at higher volume, idk maybe tis just me but i wish they made at 05 micro stack, thatd probably sell pretty good and id buy it form recording instead of lugging around a 40lb head and cab and all racks id have much more room in my car, but also with the rev Jr. the cabs CAn hold upto 100watt head i believe i read so if you want to continue using the cabs and invest in another head at a different time that would also work out considering the cabs ive heard arent all that bad
Sex is good
Sex is fine
Doggy Style & 69
Just for fun
Or gettin paid
Everyone likes gettin laid
the 5150/6505 would be better for power metal. The Krank is freakin awesome as hell though. Played one at guitar center, when i get rich im getting one.
Colors by Between the Buried and Me is the Best album ever
Personally, Im not a big fan of the revolution. The high-gain tone can get fizzyish and kinda lacks the smoothness of the 5150.

If you search youtube for michael amott, you can hear a big difference between his old 5150 tone and his new revolution tone.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
The 5150 is Metal bang for your buck. It is dark though, not bright, and the cleans aren't that great, but usable. The cleans are a little better on the + from what I hear, but if you play mostly metal and hard rock, the 5150/6505 is veeeeeery hard to beat. It is basically dark, thick and chuggy.
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
Quote by numbfinger
dude have you ever played a krank??..there really good quality and ...the 6505 has very limited features

The Krank sounds like ass, and features don't make the amp better.

The 6505 is the better amp.
if your gonna go for the krank u should get a krankenstien, if youre gonna go for the 5150 u should get an engl
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.