Ok, the computer I have is 5 years old, so my dad agreed on building a new one. My dad is going to build it and i'll choose the components. I want a gaming computer, a fast one, I'd like to record some demos for my band here too. Not very expensive, my budget is about $1000-$1500. So help me chose all the components. Like video card, ram, processor, all that I need, for gaming and a little quality recording.

Thank you.
go amd for processor. as for everything else, i would agree with slash-120. except that i would get a 40gb slave drive. for all the finished projects and the such.
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210
Danelectro grilled cheese & t-bone

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Saving for Bugera 333 $300 / $599 :|

Quote by Doppelgänger
Agreed. There's no point in doing anything if she looks like shit.
the processor being a core2duo of course, 2GB of RAM is the MINIMUM for next gen games if you want maxed out graphics
graphics - maybe a geforce 8800

My suggestion - take this to a computer forum
You'll get much better opinions there and I think that you will find threads on this already answered so you won't even need to register
Well AMD processors are a bargain at the moment and DDR3 has been released so the prices of DDR2 RAM should be falling pretty well. How futureproof do you want it for gaming? The most futureproof awnser would be to get a motherboard which is SLI enabled and get one NVidia 8800GT and add another later.

Thats all i'm typing god dammit.

EDIT: Go with a 250GB SATA hard drive.
Last edited by Grundy0 at Sep 16, 2007,
i have an Nvidia GeForce and im extremely pleased. if you can get a quad core processor, go for it. 2gb ram, and the largest hard drive you can afford.

as far as ordering/getting the products, i highly recommend www.tigerdirect.com they will cut you some seriously killer deals. 250 gb hard drives for like $70

EDIT: i agree with klayy. a computer forum would be the best place to go. try www.off-topic.us
get one of them lovely AMD 64 x2 6400+s <_<
Quote by ep1kz
wtf? why didnt you punch one of them in the face or something? they're not girls, they are fat chavs, they are their own gender
Intel Q6600 - $275
2GB DDR2 - 800 - Corsair XMS2 - $105
400gb HD (Samsung) - $85
gEFORCE 8800gts 640MB - $400
700Watt PSU Thermaltake - $170
Coolermaster Case - $60

There will be enough eft over for a monitor and such. This will make a great gaming rig.
recycle ur dvd drive and a dvd burner will be about 40 dollors

Dont go SLI. Its nowhere near worth the money.

newegg.com is probably the cheapest place.

Don't buy DDR3 as the latency is still very high. DDR2-800 will be fine.

Oh and get a Gigabyte DS3 for ur mother board and some aftermarket cooling for ur cpu.
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
Last edited by tpot06 at Sep 16, 2007,
8600gts or 8800gts imho. Also, don't skimp out on the power supply.
Quote by codynw42
i am stupid enuff to do it becuz i just did. i feel nothing, there is no high and im not dizzy or anything... its just nasty.

Ryu Hayabusa of the UG Society of Ninjas
Get a core 2 duo mate, cheaper than AMD and AMAZINGLY overclockable. Would recommend an nForce 650 or 680i motherboard and an 8800 GTS for gaming, best mix of value and performance (320 Mb if your screen is 1680x1050 or under, 640 if its higher then that). Unfortunately I only know UK prices... but those are probably the best value. The current Fatal1ty board (from Abit I think) is a great motherboard, at a good price, and will help you get the best out of your processor. For RAM, Crucial Ballistix BL2KIT 12864AA804 is supposedly the best value/speed DDR2 at the moment. Stick with DDR2 for now as DDR3 is stupidly over priced.
For hard drive, I recommend a 500 Gb as they are sooo cheap at the moment. Again, based on reviews, the Samsung SpinPoint T166 HD501LJ is the best one to go for. Also get a freezer pro 7 to cool the CPU, you can generally overclock those lower end C2Ds by about an extra 1 Ghz with a decent cooler like that, and its so cheap!
Be quiet AMD fanboys, intel is the only way to go atm but that may change with amds new line up. As for graphics get the 8800gts 320mb, the 640mb version does not justify the extra price tag for a few extra frames. Get some cruical ballistix ram, an after market cooler and dont be afraid to overclock.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Why has no one mentioned anything about fans or power units? If your power unti breaks you're pretty much ****ed until you get it repaired. As for a fan if you don't have a decent one then your system won't perform as well as it could, not to mention its shortened life span.
Whaaa? Do you mean power supply? Cause if so, then they have been mentioned.
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Generalpwnt
Whaaa? Do you mean power supply? Cause if so, then they have been mentioned.

Well no-one mentioned anything about fans, so shush you.
Quote by Cpt.Jackass
Well no-one mentioned anything about fans, so shush you.

Fans?

CPU coolers have been covered and so long as you don't get a really cheap case and do a half decent wire management job there is nothing to worry about.
Pssshh, the reason fans weren't mentioned is because we're assuming he's gonna cool it with liquid nitrogen.
Quote by Kensai
I recently (being shipped as we speak) ordered

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Dual Core Processor Socket AM2 Brisbane 2.5GHZ 2X512KB 65NM 65W Retail Box

OCZ Platinum XTC REV.2 PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-15 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit

ASUS M2N-E ATX AM2 Nforce 570 Ultra PCI-E16 PCI-E4 2PCI-E1 3PCI SATA RAID Sound GBLAN Motherboard

EVGA E-GEFORCE 7600GT PCI-E 256MB VGA DVI-I HDTV Out Video Card

320 SATA HD

+ power supply, case, ect