I know old strings will effect intonation, but by how much?

I have been fighting my high E string, its been very flat at the 12th, so to day i decided to go at with everything i had.

I have a start style guitar and trem.

So i adjusted the saddle as much as i could, but it wouldn't move passed the rounded head screw in front of it, you know what forget the details. Heres the outcome, to get the intonation proper my saddle for the high E string is actually sitting on the pick guard behind the pick up.

I i know it was never very good to start with, but this is ridiculous.

Its like i have to move the saddle a whole inch, and on my other strings it only took small adjustments.

So does anyone have any info they can give me besides my guitar just sucks.

P.S. i check my frets, and surprisingly enough they are fine.
epic7734
idk put new strings on then but personally i like older strings ther more comfortable
i agree ida put new strings on. new ones don't annoy me, because i change mine often.
GUITARS:
Fender Strat w/ Seymour duncans
Agile Explorer w, SD livewire metal
Fender Telecaster w/ hot rail

PEDALBOARD:
Boss chromatic tuner
Ibanez weeping demon
*Digitech Whammy*
MXR Smart Gate
yes they can(it affect's the innotion very much)but how old are the strings? if you want to sound good you have to chang te strings at last every second month.
Old strings affect intonation because they often wander off the proper tone. There is not much you can do about it by adjusting the string length, because as soon as you have the initial note right, the tired old string will wander off while swinging out, making everything you play sound sick. For setting up a guitar a fresh set of strings is required.
This doesn't mean that it will solve the problem you're facing. It may well be possible (or even likely) that something else is wrong, but to come to the right diagnosis you'll have to rule out the strings as possible culprits.
New strings it is then. The thing is is that i hadn't played my electric for awhile. I was waiting on a new amp. So it was a little bit of a surprise how much it was out.

thanks for the replies everyone. I'll repost after the string change just so i can tell everyone how much of a difference there is or isn't.
epic7734
yeah my strings get old and then my high e goes retarded lol. the 12th fret is like an Eb now
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
damn i was about to send an e-mail to kurt today telling him my agile is way off since i can't move the saddle more. My strings are like 3 months old so that might be the reason why they are going so flat as of lately. seems to happen mostly with non-covered strings
This just happened to one of my students. His high E string is about a half-step flat at 12. I adjusted the saddle and it did nothing. But his strings were very old. I hadn't realized. We'll see if new strings fixes it. Sounds like that's the problem.
Quote by davidpetrey
This just happened to one of my students. His high E string is about a half-step flat at 12. I adjusted the saddle and it did nothing. But his strings were very old. I hadn't realized. We'll see if new strings fixes it. Sounds like that's the problem.

Why did you resurrect an already twice dead thread? :S
Quote by skylerjames13
This +10000

You're a decent 11'er Bryc3e

Nothing can keep you away from the need to create.. Cause your path is free! - Jari Maenpaa