Page 1 of 2
Why does anyone use other keys than Cmajor/Aminor? It's easiest to work with, all white keys on a piano, open chords on guitar, no sharps or flats, easy to remember. Why even bother with things like C# minor and Gb Major, when transposing to those keys yields prety much the same sound just with more complications?
Because if you only use one key everything sounds the same ie, the White Stripes
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
For Vocal Arrangements, some singers can't sing in every key. Sometimes a piece has to be transposed into a key that's comfortable for them to sing in.
Ehh.

myspace.com/weasheroesband
Because there are more notes than just ABCDEFG? Ever heard a sharp or flat? Do you realize that songs sound differently when they start and end on different notes, and use different notes, and are major/minor/harmonic/melodic? I hate to be rude, but this is the dumbest topic I've seen in a while.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
Quote by copet
Because there are more notes than just ABCDEFG? Ever heard a sharp or flat? Do you realize that songs sound differently when they start and end on different notes, and use different notes, and are major/minor/harmonic/melodic? I hate to be rude, but this is the dumbest topic I've seen in a while.

+1
You are now blinking manually
Remove this thread before it turns into a flamefest...

Oh wait to late!

WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH YOU?! YOU EVER TRIED WRITTING MUSIC?!
Lol...he's a total n00b.

</thread>
Quote by OtisB Driftwood
David Hassolhoff Is the god of death metal

Quote by Kantroce
What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My gear
Schecter Tempest Custom
Peavey VK112
Fulltone OCD
Line 6 Verbzilla
Line 6 DL-4
Xotic Effects AC Boost
Rocktron Tri-Wah
ummm all open positions on guitar are in C major/A minor? tell me buddy, what's the F# doing in a D major chord? or the C# in the A major chord? or the G# in the E major chord? obviously you know pretty much near nothing about theory otherwise you would understand more than just "hey, C major is easy." Each key has their own sound; if u understood that, you might be able to open your ears to the vast textures music has to offer.

+1 to zida. the threadstarter's really pushing it.
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Greg Byers '01 Classical (Euro Spruce bent top)
Darren Hippner 8 String Classical (Engelmann Spruce)
Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
I think it's an interesting idea, since all diatonic tunes could be transposed so they all are in teh same key and use the same notes why use anything different?

The main answers I always come across are the tunings of the transposing instruments make certain concert keys easier to read when transposed. In jazz band nearly every piece we play is in either F, Bb or Eb.

Secondly, in vocal numbers certain keys suit the vocalists voices better so they'll write songs in keys which are most natural for them to sing in.

Finally the timbre of the instrument changes as you change the range of notes you chose the piece to be played over. A high note has a different sound texture to the same but say 2 octaves below on the same instrument. Although the relations of the notes be the same in all keys the timbre is different, hence why certain keys are more often used when trying to create mood X because the instruments have a better sound which suits the tune in that key.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
TS, i thought you asked a good question. To bad only a few people took the time to answer your question.

There are many reasons, which sinan90 gave some good examples. Try starting a song in one key and then transfer into a different key. You will notice a difference. Playing in different keys over different chord progressions will make a difference.

The reasons go on and on. Its another tool you can use to create new things.
epic7734
One reason is because different keys sound different. Another reason is because not all instruments have the same not layout as the guitar. A saxophonist will rather play a tune in Bb than in C. And how would modulating keys work if you're only allowed to use one? Let alone the entire genre of jazz.

Come on man, think.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
First of all, not all instruments are "C' instruments. If you are looking at it from a guitar centered view, the most useful key is A, because you have the root of your I IV and V chords in open string form. You write a song in Db major and use open strings, you can get a really harsh, droning sound, something you wouldn't get if you were in C.

The range of certain keys on guitar doesn't always work the same. Say you are writing a song and you want to do a descending m7th . You can't do that in C if you start on your lowest tone.

Range of singers. Unlike other instruments, the voice is not standardized, and you can't easily alter it for a given situation.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by Shard Heilia
I THINK YOU SHOULD ALL DIE.

Owait.

Warned
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Because if you are just playing C D E F G A B C your missing al the notes that a sharpened or flattened which automatically restricts what you play.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
What I am saying is playing the notes D-E-F-C is the same as playing Bb-C-C#-G#, why bother even messing with the second?

and the singer thing makes sense
It might be the same in relative terms but the sound quality of the instrument is different, and hence can create a different mood.
Founder of Jaco society

Quote by sinan90
I think it's an interesting idea, since all diatonic tunes could be transposed so they all are in teh same key and use the same notes why use anything different?

The main answers I always come across are the tunings of the transposing instruments make certain concert keys easier to read when transposed. In jazz band nearly every piece we play is in either F, Bb or Eb.

Secondly, in vocal numbers certain keys suit the vocalists voices better so they'll write songs in keys which are most natural for them to sing in.

Finally the timbre of the instrument changes as you change the range of notes you chose the piece to be played over. A high note has a different sound texture to the same but say 2 octaves below on the same instrument. Although the relations of the notes be the same in all keys the timbre is different, hence why certain keys are more often used when trying to create mood X because the instruments have a better sound which suits the tune in that key.

try playing a jazz blues in the key of C and tell me you didnt hit any sharps or flats. then ill concede.
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Greg Byers '01 Classical (Euro Spruce bent top)
Darren Hippner 8 String Classical (Engelmann Spruce)
Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
To me C major and E major sound the same if they're played independently, but if you change key during a piece then the listener has a point of reference, so can notice the key change. This can be used for lots of effects, I think classical pieces restate themes in the dominant key sometimes (I don't study music at school, I'm not sure), and a more obvious one is where at the end of a song a chorus is transposed up a tone, it sounds like a change into a higher gear (and very cheesy ).
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
You're not serious are you? Different keys have different tones, express different emotions, and allow for more creativity. If you wish to confine yourself to Cmaj / Amin, by all means, do so. You can produce songs in those keys if you so desire, but Again by Alice in Chains would not exist if it were confined to Cmaj / Amin, and that is one of my top favorite songs of all time (and my top favorite band obviously). It is a matter of how creative you want to be, man, that's all it is. If you want to be creative, you'll experiment with different keys. If you want to be unoriginal, you'll jam in Cmaj / Amin for the rest of your life, and never go anywhere, either at a personal or professional level. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I'm having a hard time taking this seriously.
Quote by thepagesaretorn
try playing a jazz blues in the key of C and tell me you didnt hit any sharps or flats. then ill concede.

i think this thread is a good example where the intelligence of the posters is weighed up proportionally to the negativity of their answer.

the TS actually makes a good question, as there are many instruments that only play one key...
That in itself is something wonderful about the guitar, that you can change key easily to create dynamic sounds.

It must be agreed that using C as a baseline to start writing music will definately be easier to manage, especially to a new musician. When actually playing music on a guitar relative to nothing but itself.... it then becomes irrelevant what key you are in, because everything works relative to each other.

if i was to write a song on paper using theory... i would almost certainly write the outline in C then move it about if i need to when it comes to playing it.

If i was to write a song using my guitar, i almost certainly wouldnt use C... because it makes no difference!

flame flame flame why bother?
Quote by branny1982
i think this thread is a good example where the intelligence of the posters is weighed up proportionally to the negativity of their answer.

the TS actually makes a good question, as there are many instruments that only play one key...
That in itself is something wonderful about the guitar, that you can change key easily to create dynamic sounds.

It must be agreed that using C as a baseline to start writing music will definately be easier to manage, especially to a new musician. When actually playing music on a guitar relative to nothing but itself.... it then becomes irrelevant what key you are in, because everything works relative to each other.

if i was to write a song on paper using theory... i would almost certainly write the outline in C then move it about if i need to when it comes to playing it.

If i was to write a song using my guitar, i almost certainly wouldnt use C... because it makes no difference!

flame flame flame why bother?

Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
so you want to blay just D-E-F-C and not play notes like c# or g#. more notes =more sounds. Do you not get that?
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Quote by ahhmyeye
What I am saying is playing the notes D-E-F-C is the same as playing Bb-C-C#-G#, why bother even messing with the second?

and the singer thing makes sense

Did you READ our replies?
Quote by ahhmyeye
Why does anyone use other keys than Cmajor/Aminor? It's easiest to work with, all white keys on a piano, open chords on guitar, no sharps or flats, easy to remember. Why even bother with things like C# minor and Gb Major, when transposing to those keys yields prety much the same sound just with more complications?

If everyone played in "C" and "A" everyone would sound the same. going into different keys will effect the way the music sounds greatley. besides, guitar is one of the most easiest instruments to transpose on, as its usually just a case of playing the same shape in a different position on the neck.
Quote by radiantmoon
so you want to blay just D-E-F-C and not play notes like c# or g#. more notes =more sounds. Do you not get that?

you dont get any more notes.
can you not see that if you are in the key of C# you are then confined to C# D# E# F# G# A# B# ?

obviously the above is not true, because you can play out of key notes and change key throughout a song....

What the TS is saying is that if you play in C, it all becaomes much simpler because you can instantly spot your notes that are out of key creating dissonance and on paper it MUST be the simplest way to write.
If you see a # note, you KNOW that note is doing something interesting.

When finished you can transpose to any key you desire. A different note is just a soundwave at a different frequency, there is no difference between a # and a natural in sound until you relate it to something.

Quote by branny1982
you dont get any more notes.
can you not see that if you are in the key of C# you are then confined to C# D# E# F# G# A# B# ?

obviously the above is not true, because you can play out of key notes and change key throughout a song....

What the TS is saying is that if you play in C, it all becaomes much simpler because you can instantly spot your notes that are out of key creating dissonance and on paper it MUST be the simplest way to write.
If you see a # note, you KNOW that note is doing something interesting.

When finished you can transpose to any key you desire. A different note is just a soundwave at a different frequency, there is no difference between a # and a natural in sound until you relate it to something.

I cleared that up with this though.

Quote by nightwind
First of all, not all instruments are "C' instruments. If you are looking at it from a guitar centered view, the most useful key is A, because you have the root of your I IV and V chords in open string form. You write a song in Db major and use open strings, you can get a really harsh, droning sound, something you wouldn't get if you were in C.

The range of certain keys on guitar doesn't always work the same. Say you are writing a song and you want to do a descending m7th . You can't do that in C if you start on your lowest tone.

Range of singers. Unlike other instruments, the voice is not standardized, and you can't easily alter it for a given situation.

Like someone else mentionted too, once modulation happens the whole point of the "only use C" is gone out the window.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by thepagesaretorn

Hence the word diatonic.
Founder of Jaco society

Just shut up and never use this site again
I best sing in G, I think so. And, capoing C all over to G is not a good idea. So...
"The end result - the music - is all that counts"
Quote by ross1234

Just shut up and never use this site again

Unnecessary flaming. Warned.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Page 1 of 2