Well i currently use gearbox and plug my guitar straight into it. but i purchased an sm57 recently but i just cant get a decent sound out of it. my amp sounds great normally (Cube 30) but when i mic it into the tone port it sounds weak and thin. and quiet unless i crank my amp.

im going into gearbox and im pressing my mic up agains the bottom right edge of the speaker as i dont have a stand to get it any higher. anyways, what am i doing wrong?
what position should i be having the mic in exacly on my amp? and what do you mean on its own? i was told it was the best for recording guitar
the actual speaker circle, im going for a death metal sound so what position do you recommend?
Its all in the ear - there is no set mic position "X" that produces tone type "Y". You just have to keep moving the mic around until you get the tone you want. It can take a long time and can be rather frustrating - but it is worth it in the end.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

okee dokie, i just bought a table top mic stand like brian said anyways so when it arrives this weak ill be able to tweak it a bit
I picked up a coffee table from a repossession shop today for £2.

I'm going to stick my amp up on that, which will effectively kill undesirable low end information when recording
^Yep - I have my amps setup up on large, flat seated chairs.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.