hey there!

i've got a "backup riff" but know I have no clue on what scale to use over it.
the point is to add a lead guitar like some kind of soloing over the chord/riff progression

the riff has these chords:

D - G# - G - F (all major)

now, i know i could just go jumping different scales as the riff plays but it's kinda fast riff, it doesn't seem appropriate to do that

in a case like this, how can i choose the scale? would it be major, minor,...?
I looked in the UG lessons but there's nothing there

this is kind of the hardest thing i found when playing guitar.

does anyone knows where can i find some toturial or explanation about choosing scales?

thank you
well if you want it to sound more 'happy' major, less 'happy' then minor.

And I'd use the scale of the 'root' chord. . .which in this case is most likely D (same for Rory Gallagher's million miles away).
Just mess around until you find something cool. Jump around a bit. Don't confine yourself.
thank you guys. D major/minor was my guess too

and when I'm going to use (for exemple) a D scale. Can I use all the other D scales like melodic minor and harmonic minor? and some other non-comon scales?

anyway, I was looking for some theory of how to choose the right scale. I mean, there's a way to do it "musicaly correct"...
your song doesn't stick to one key, so it will be difficult to find a scale that will suit those four chords.
yeah i noticed that they are not in a single key

but i'm sure there are many musics like this. or should i just pick a key and and right the whole song in that key?
i know it will be easier but not sure if it will sound nice
D F# A
G# B# (C) D#
G B D
F A C

As long as the scale that you're playing has those notes in it while you're playing over the chords, it has the potential to sound good. You could play D major, G major or any of their modes (including B minor and E minor) over the DMaj and GMaj chords. Do what I did to find the keys you can play in over the other two chords - if you don't want clashing notes you'll have to use at least two different keys over the progression. It's not all set in stone though
so those are the 1st, 3rd and 5th degree of the corresponding scales (and the notes of my power-chords)

if i play some scale that has those notes there's a high propability that it sounds good right?

but if that doesn't happen it get a lot more complicated

thank you guys
Considering your progression doesn't fit in key, I suggest, for lead guitar work over that you use some Arpeggios.

If you don't know what arpeggios are, they are simply the broken notes of the chord. So, find the notes of the chord you are playing, then play those notes over the chord. With this method, there is absolutely no way you can sound out of place.

So when you are on the D Major chord, you would use the notes D, F# and A.

What, only three notes? That's going to sound boring

Not really, if you look at your fretboard, you will find those notes all over the place, you have six different frets on each string (Including the octave) which you can play those notes, which gives you 36 on all strings, which is a lot.

Then, when you feel the chords and arpeggios are getting boring, switch over to a different chord.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012