Page 4 of 9
Quote by UMadeMeRealise
There isn't. However, I second the B&S suggestion.

Thurded.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Quote by pumpkins_rule
Thurded.

Fourthed, I would've sworn that If You're Feeling Sinister was already on the list, but I think it might have been the old one.

Yey for Discovery!

I've listened to Emoh by Lou Barlow, and all I've got to say is Wow!
Last edited by julio1987 at Feb 18, 2008,
Could we get Magazine's 'Real Life' album up there. It's great post punk and has had a large effect on the indie and alternative. If it weren't for them, Radiohead would have never been the same!

From what I've heard of that album, I agree. Plus Damon Albarn and Madonna both cite that record as a personal favourite, so it must be good.
Last edited by UMadeMeRealise at Feb 22, 2008,
Quote by julio1987
Fourthed, I would've sworn that If You're Feeling Sinister was already on the list, but I think it might have been the old one.

Yey for Discovery!

I've listened to Emoh by Lou Barlow, and all I've got to say is Wow!

fifthed.

and i think that the lonesome crowded west is just as good as m&a, and it's a crime that it isn't up there.

otherwise, great list, i've already got a chunk of these, and i'm trying to fill in the ones i don't have yet.

oh and arcticm1 is a crackhead.
Unless they have been mentioned.
Of Montreal
Beirut
My Blood Valentine
Pavement
Guided By Voices
i dont know. i think bushes sixteen stone and razorblade suitcase belong up there. and alice in chains jar of flys. they were the last pioneers of grunge
Alice in Chains suck. The only grunge albums that are actually good are Ten and Superunknown.

/Arrogant
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by mydarkesthour

alice in chains are pretty reasonable, but they don't fit here at all
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
I quite like what I know of Alice in Chains, but they're not suited to here, neither are Bush really.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by UMadeMeRealise
^
Well, what about Badmotorfinger? That's a really good record as well.

Ehhhh, it has some good songs but it sounds too much like superior Black Sabbath for my liking.

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by mydarkesthour

Last edited by FrenchyFungus at Mar 26, 2008,
Definitely not! Don't need a brim full of asher on my 45s thank you very much.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I think a few albums should be added to the list...

The Cure - Faith
New Order - Power, Corruption and Lies
New Order - Low Life
Clinic - Visitations

Get these and you'll see what I mean
so who's idea was it to put prefab sprout - steve mcqueen in the old A+I essentials list? i really can't say how essential it is, but it's pretty good, in a guilty pleasure sort of way.
^ It isn't a 10 out of 10, but definitely a hidden gem so I shoved it on. Was good to see it getting a re-release last year as well, definitely seemed to boost the interest in the album.

RateYourMusic
Quote by paintITblack39
Andy or Jon, mind adding www.stereogum.com

Thought it was already on there, but apparently not.
Went off the site a while back though so probably explains why I missed it off. They update it too much since they got bought out, really enjoyed it when it was one or two pieces a day, but now its closer to a page and a half.

RateYourMusic
Hey Andrew may I ask why you've turned down the 5 If You're Feeling Sinister suggestions?
Quote by Andrewbiles
Thought it was already on there, but apparently not.
Went off the site a while back though so probably explains why I missed it off. They update it too much since they got bought out, really enjoyed it when it was one or two pieces a day, but now its closer to a page and a half.

True, but they have neat mp3s and stuff.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39
True, but they have neat mp3s and stuff.

Apparently they're copying pitchfork and doing videogum.com in a few days.
Quite a lack of original ideas...

Quote by julio1987
Hey Andrew may I ask why you've turned down the 5 If You're Feeling Sinister suggestions?

I was going to ignore this post just to be a pain, but to be honest I must have just skipped over them or read them at the wrong times (ie. when I'm about to log off). Will add it.

RateYourMusic
Really good list but only one little snag in my opinion. I'd like to see Elliott Smiths' Either/Or album from 1997. It's lyrical content is much more in depth and personal than X/O and need I remind you that Either/Or was released on Kill Rock Stars and X/O released on dreamworks?
I've almost finished.
Quote by UMadeMeRealise
We should add Stereolab's Emperor Tomato Ketchup to the listing.

not that good of an album
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
Quote by Tele.Player.92
Really good list but only one little snag in my opinion. I'd like to see Elliott Smiths' Either/Or album from 1997. It's lyrical content is much more in depth and personal than X/O and need I remind you that Either/Or was released on Kill Rock Stars and X/O released on dreamworks?

Uhhhh so? X/O is still more accessible and in my opinion better. It really doesn't matter that he was on a major label anyway because it's still considered "indie" music.

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by mydarkesthour

I think it's essential to shove My Morning Jacket's Z ('05) or It Still Moves ('03). They've had an increased popularity over the last month or two, so I imagine more people are looking for recommendations.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
I'm pretty new to this forum and I have to ask. What is this forum for?
What's its purpose is what I mean. lol
this thread or the forum?

this thread is pretty much for people who are new to the Alt/Indie game to pick up recommendations. the very first post is a series of albums, websites, stores, etc that should give you a good idea what you should look into.

the forum is for discussion of Alternative and Indie bands.
I'm not new to this music. I've grew up with Indie hanging over me. I'm just new to the Indie/Alternative forum.

To be crude, you just recommend a band here, and discuss of course?
Last edited by steve_muse at May 18, 2008,
it is less of recommending a band and more of collecting ideas on what is key to the genre.