Page 5 of 9
I see. Thanks by the way. Well if I may, an innovative band to the genre would be The Delays. Well their not exactly new, but their other two albums didn't achieve the attention they were looking for. I've ordered their third - 'Everything's The Rush'. I reckon it should be pretty decent after downloading some of their other stuff.

I'm totally sure it fits this genre though.
hey bros get these up please:
The Pop Group-Y
Magazine-Real Life
Wire-Chairs Missing (just as influential (more so on indie) as Pink Flag)

i'd like to know, what is really an Indie??, i mean, indies follows and only one ideology?, or are they so different and independent that such ideology doesn't exists??.

i'm agree with the second sentence, but there's so many indies who are afraid because of the latest "latinamerican" and british waves and because it's gonna make "indie" a commercial term.

what you think about it??
an indie? that doesn't exist in this thread. we're regular people that have common taste in music.
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
Ok, I'm new to Indie, and all I know is that it's short for independant music, so where should I start, what are some good albums, or bands?

Thanks everyone
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Damnit, well sorry i'm such a tool, i didn't get much sleep last night.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Ok, so even though this is an 'Essentials' thread, I'm going to use it as a 'Recommendation' thread for a second. Can anyone recommend me a band that is similar to The Hold Steady? I've been loving them recently.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Quote by RHCP94
Ok, so even though this is an 'Essentials' thread, I'm going to use it as a 'Recommendation' thread for a second. Can anyone recommend me a band that is similar to The Hold Steady? I've been loving them recently.

I can't say I've heard many bands like them but check out latter day Husker Du (i.e. Warehouse: Songs and Stories) and The Replacements.

If you already enjoy those bands (likely) and you're looking for a more modern band check out The Modern Machines. I have 'Take It, Somebody' and it's definitely worth a listen. It's no Separation Sunday or Almost Killed me but's it's good.
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
I can't say I've heard many bands like them but check out latter day Husker Du (i.e. Warehouse: Songs and Stories) and The Replacements.

If you already enjoy those bands (likely) and you're looking for a more modern band check out The Modern Machines. I have 'Take It, Somebody' and it's definitely worth a listen. It's no Separation Sunday or Almost Killed me but's it's good.

Thanks.
Lifter Puller, only band I know that does really sound like The Hold Steady and unsurprisingly it involved Craig.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
It might just be me, but I definitely think Nebraska by Bruce Springsteen deserves a spot on there. And maybe Born To Run, aswell.

Edit: Also, 'The Decline of British Sea Power' by British Sea Power should be on there. It's an absolutely excellent record, and Arcade Fire have even cited it as a major influence on 'Funeral'.
Last edited by European Son at Jun 15, 2008,
I reccommend adding I'm Like A Virgin Losing a Child by Manchester Orchestra, it's a great album
Quote by RATM forever
definitely the best spam thread today!
Quote by European Son
It might just be me, but I definitely think Nebraska by Bruce Springsteen deserves a spot on there. And maybe Born To Run, aswell.

word
Quote by Doolittle
hey bros get these up please:
The Pop Group-Y
Magazine-Real Life
Wire-Chairs Missing (just as influential (more so on indie) as Pink Flag)

hwelloooooo

I think the list needs:
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Giant Pink Robots (2002)
Cursive - The Ugly Organ (2003)
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah (2005)
They Might Be Giants - Flood (1990)
The Hold Steady - Separation Sunday (2005)

All classics IMO
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
^ 'Yoshimi...' is so overrated. Probably should add the Cursive record at some point. And The Hold Steady, I personally have preference towards their first but SS was good.

I'm sure some of the albums mentioned on this page are already on the list ('Nebraska' and 'Y' and maybe 'Real life'?). Sorry for lack of updates on it I just don't think it should be jammed full of every recommendation so I tend not to check this thread that often.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by Andrewbiles
^ 'Yoshimi...' is so overrated. Probably should add the Cursive record at some point. And The Hold Steady, I personally have preference towards their first but SS was good.

I'm sure some of the albums mentioned on this page are already on the list ('Nebraska' and 'Y' and maybe 'Real life'?). Sorry for lack of updates on it I just don't think it should be jammed full of every recommendation so I tend not to check this thread that often.

On a twice over, I only see 'Y' on there.

In my opinion, leaving 'Yoshimi....' out is the equivalent of leaving out something like 'Odelay'.
Quote by RHCP94
In my opinion, leaving 'Yoshimi....' out is the equivalent of leaving out something like 'Odelay'.

True dat. Its their magnum opus. Even though I'd have to say I like At War With the Mystics better as an overall album.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Dunno if I've missed something, but I figure a bit of Andrew Bird wouldn't go amiss up there. The Mysterious Production of Eggs, perhaps?
Quote by 11yunited
Dunno if I've missed something, but I figure a bit of Andrew Bird wouldn't go amiss up there. The Mysterious Production of Eggs, perhaps?

Great album. Armchair Apocrypha is also very good.
Quote by RHCP94
On a twice over, I only see 'Y' on there.

Ok, I thought they were probably on there already so might edit them in later. Will have to take 'Odelay' off as well then!
Someone here surely has to back me up with this opinion of 'Yoshimi...'.

RateYourMusic
Yeah... Yoshimi is a good album but it's not essential. To be honest though, there are a lot of albums on the list that aren't essential. I don't consider anything under 2003 to be "essential"
Ok....I'll let 'Yoshimi....' go.

If you add "It Still Moves' by My Morning Jacket.
I don't know... I don't think "It Still Moves" is their best. It's good but it's not essential, IMO. I know a lot of people love ISM, but I think "Z" is their best... even though I'm in the minority.

but a MMJ album definitely needs to be added, if there isn't one already.
Yeah The Shins, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Mars Volta are definitely not essential.

EDIT: and if M.I.A. has to be on the list, put Kala instead of Arular.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Last edited by pumpkins_rule at Jul 4, 2008,
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
Yeah... Yoshimi is a good album but it's not essential. To be honest though, there are a lot of albums on the list that aren't essential. I don't consider anything under 2003 to be "essential"

I'd have to agree for the most part (the exception being Damien Rice) but I don't want to completely write off everyone else's opinion.

RateYourMusic
Quote by pumpkins_rule
Yeah The Shins, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Mars Volta are definitely not essential.

EDIT: and if M.I.A. has to be on the list, put Kala instead of Arular.

I much prefer Kala too, but it isn't old enough.
i just got loveless its awesome

but i think that maybe some really early red hot chilli peppers should be on the list
pinkerton and gish should be added too
I love Yoshimi....
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
melloncollie and simease dream are on there
and no compare them to modern rock bands and they sound nothing the same
That FreeIndie website is actually really cool. Got a few tracks by The Kiss Off and Saturna, both pretty good!

Bought the Saturna EP from a shop in Glasgow the other week. Was quite surprised to find it to be honest, but a surprise none the less
Quote by UMadeMeRealise
Gish? I like the Smashing Pumpkins, but they are total modern-rock.

According to Allmusic, The Smashing Pumpkins are Indie and Alternative. As for RHCP... they'll never be up there.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

I see only one Pixies album, Surfer Rosa should definatly be on there, and maybe even Bossanova. I mean, whats a alternative/indie list without Where is my mind, Levitate me, Gigantic, Velouria and tons of other great songs??