what distortion pedal do you recommend?
Gear:
Epiphone Les paul
silvertone smartt III

gear after:
Dean ML79 w/Floyd Electric Guitar
Transparent Braziliaburst

Member #21 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join
absolutely no to ds-1, unless your budget is less than 50 bucks. what styles do you play?
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
I have a Boss MetalZone...some purists on here would say gat a channel switcher and use the amps OD channel... but I'm a fan of a dodgy or saturated sound that can be messed with. It would help what styles you played
depending on your local store you may be able to buy some good pedals used for around 50, such as an EH-Metal Muff, I hear it is really good from quite a few people I have mine ordered and can't wait , p.s don't even look at the MT-2 as I have mad that mistake in the past , like it can get the sounds I want, but just seems like theres no bass to it or even tone

but if you have $89 then you can buy the Metal Muff New
the boss ml-2 metalcore pedal is pretty good for metal
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
Quote by kazra90
the boss ml-2 metalcore pedal is pretty good for metal

it could be better, EH-Metal Muff beats MT-2, Metal Core put together least from my experiences, from my friends and my gear

for the money you save $10 for Metal Muff and end up with something better , but from what I've researched the amp is more important than the pedal to start off, then you get a good pedal and wah lah brootalz sound
from my experience the metal muff sounds like something the mt-2 **** out. such a boring pedal.
I have a Boss Mt-2 Matal Zone and it rocks. It is not just for metal, cuss I dont even play metal but I can pull off some nice tones with it even with my ****ty MG30.

I highly recconmend it to you and IMO it is the pedal to get... It will aslo last you a long time, Boss is the best IMO
Quote by slidething31
Blues men don't wear band T shirts.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't recommend any distortion pedals.

Agreed. Natural amp distortion is uaually 10X better, especially with a tube amp (Then again, I have a SS amp and NEED good distortion)

But best... Im sorry I cant help. From what I HEAR, the Metal Muff sounds the most versatile and good for everything, but I havent played one yet to truly know.
Quote by TehJermie
from my experience the metal muff sounds like something the mt-2 **** out. such a boring pedal.

you must not know how to adjust it as it is fare more superior than the MT-2 I have both of them silly If you say it sounds like the MT-2 your quite wrong and may be deaf for tone , note you don't put things to max on the Metal muff which is probally what you have done
^ im actually quite prudent in how i boost and cut things. youve obviously fallen into the UG metal muff hype. its characterless, lacks versatility, and the top boost is absolutely useless. spending time with a stock MT-2 i was much more happy with what could be achieved versus the metal muff. factor in the mods and it absolutely ****s all over the metal muff. its no contest.
Quote by hardcoredarrell
depending on your local store you may be able to buy some good pedals used for around 50, such as an EH-Metal Muff, I hear it is really good from quite a few people I have mine ordered and can't wait , p.s don't even look at the MT-2 as I have mad that mistake in the past , like it can get the sounds I want, but just seems like theres no bass to it or even tone

but if you have $89 then you can buy the Metal Muff New

I agree completely. I've had my Metal Muff for about 3 months and it's one of the greatest purchases I've ever made gear-wise.

If you want trebley, sharp, generic distortion with no mids that everyone has, buy a Metal Master or an MT-2.

However if you want tone, buy a Metal Muff. It's got more balls than the MT-2 and the Metal Master combined times 5.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
I agree completely. I've had my Metal Muff for about 3 months and it's one of the greatest purchases I've ever made gear-wise.

If you want trebley, sharp, generic distortion with no mids that everyone has, buy a Metal Master or an MT-2.

However if you want tone, buy a Metal Muff. It's got more balls than the MT-2 and the Metal Master combined times 5.

TehJermie::

the MT-2 is more of an aggresive metal Metalica type of pedal and AC DC with out tone deffinition, but the Metal Muff can do just about any distortion, overdrive, or nu metal you want with sound of many amps put together with tons of definition, im afraid you are mistaken,

on the guitar channel on my TV I've seen them review the MT-2, Metal Core, Metal Muff, Metal monster with a tube in it, and many more, and they were right about the Metal muff being good, and from spending MANY hours in the guitar store for a few days I've found the Metal Muff to be really good especially with an Equalizer, man oh man was Steven Seagull right
^ i use 2 eqs in my chain. this was playing both through a NICE tube amp with a BEAUTIFUL clean channel that absolutely loves pedals. through a high end 4x12 at bedroom volume all the way to stage volume in a number of rooms(both good and bad acoustically speaking). the stock mt-2 is capable of a light crunch all the way to a nice RATT type distortion to some newer stuff like killswitch engage. while its much easier on a metalzone to get a terrible sound the sweet spots are just fantastic. it has some muffled mids stock but with mods it just made the pedal out of this world. i guarantee you it pisses all over the metal muff and just puts the argument to bed.

if you need to rag on it to make up for some inadequacy or to be a board sheep i cant stop you. but try to back it up with some cold hard fact please. not just "steven seagull told me to get a metal muff so it must be better."
Quote by TehJermie
^ i use 2 eqs in my chain. this was playing both through a NICE tube amp with a BEAUTIFUL clean channel that absolutely loves pedals. through a high end 4x12 at bedroom volume all the way to stage volume in a number of rooms(both good and bad acoustically speaking). the stock mt-2 is capable of a light crunch all the way to a nice RATT type distortion to some newer stuff like killswitch engage. while its much easier on a metalzone to get a terrible sound the sweet spots are just fantastic. it has some muffled mids stock but with mods it just made the pedal out of this world. i guarantee you it pisses all over the metal muff and just puts the argument to bed.

if you need to rag on it to make up for some inadequacy or to be a board sheep i cant stop you. but try to back it up with some cold hard fact please. not just "steven seagull told me to get a metal muff so it must be better."

Whatever you say man.

It's all preference.

You play your MT-2, I'll play my muff.

And also, how can there be ANY "facts" presented, this is all opinions anyway, right?

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
Whatever you say man.

It's all preference.

You play your MT-2, I'll play my muff.

And also, how can there be ANY "facts" presented, this is all opinions anyway, right?

true, its all opinion, and he can stick the the Metal Zone , I once thought the MT-2 was good but after playing a while you start to notice that it may get sounds right but just miss something, I've noticed it with the MT-2, I don't buy things unless I test them out and read reviews from only certain sites that do valid ratings not some guitarcenter place that has people saying ohhh this things so awsome blah blah blah, when they really are lost on things , alot of this has to do with the amp but even on a good amp you can get better tone and sound with a metal muff, why do you think there is a mod for the MT-2?? the kelly mod, as it gives the MT-2 a little tone, and for that price you can get pedals that are better and yes the MT-2 only has a handfull of sounds that it can do decently, and takes a long time to get those, but you can use more than one pedal for good effects, the metal core was made as many complained about the MT-2, and the Metal core is considered decent but limited
you may be right about the MT-2 for you, but for me the Metal Muff sounds better with my gear and any gear I've tried in the stores
If you guys don't mind me asking, what's so bad about the DS-1? I have one and it's not that bad.
Ibanez RGT42FX
Vox AD30VT-XL

Quote by Attack
No. In Soviet Russia, Hell goes to you,
MI Audio CrunchBox, or Tube Zone for more versatility.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Marshall Shredmaster. Pro Co Rat, Rat II, or Turbo Rat. zVex Fuzz Probe, Factory. Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde. Electro-Harmonix Big Muff.

OD: zVex Machine, Ibanez TS-9, Visual Sound Route 66.

imo.
Quote by ken112291
If you guys don't mind me asking, what's so bad about the DS-1? I have one and it's not that bad.

It just doesn't suite my tastes is all.

to hardcoredarrell: when I went to get my Metal Master (big mistake) I tried the MT-2 and I just.....didn't like it at all. It was either harsh or muddy, there was no good tone I could get from it. I tried the Metal Master and it was about the same, but I small bit better, so I bought it because that was all I had to choose from.

Now I have the Metal Muff and it's the best IMO. Fuller tone, no harshness or screeching, it's smooth.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
MI Audio Crunch Box or Classic Distortion imho.
Quote by codynw42
i am stupid enuff to do it becuz i just did. i feel nothing, there is no high and im not dizzy or anything... its just nasty.

Ryu Hayabusa of the UG Society of Ninjas
Quote by dudetheman
It just doesn't suite my tastes is all.

to hardcoredarrell: when I went to get my Metal Master (big mistake) I tried the MT-2 and I just.....didn't like it at all. It was either harsh or muddy, there was no good tone I could get from it. I tried the Metal Master and it was about the same, but I small bit better, so I bought it because that was all I had to choose from.

Now I have the Metal Muff and it's the best IMO. Fuller tone, no harshness or screeching, it's smooth.

metal monster has a tube in it, made by guyatone but cost $200

but the metal muff seems to treat me well to me its the best I can use for my money
I must say, my friends MT-2 has always been so muddy that I can't even identify whats being played at times. Even worse is that when its not playing that sludgy incoherent noise, its so harsh that I get a headache. Granted, he really doesn't know how to get a good sound out of it. Still though, a pedal should never have such extremes. My marshall guv'nor 2 has always sounded great. There was some re-soldering that had to be done on it, but now it sounds better than ever before. I have no problem being the first on here to recomend it. peace.
GEAR

epy lp
palomino v32
marshall guv'nor 2
vox wah

Demetri martin- My computer once beat me at a game of chess, but then I beat it at a game of kickboxing.
Everyone seems to beat down on the MT-2 Metal Zone, but I find that if you use it like a preamp distortion that you can get some awesome tone out of it.

If you crank the level but set the distortion to 0 then blend it with your amp distortion (and cutting on some gain from the amp if needed) you can get an awesome overdrive.
Digitech DF-7 , 100 bucks for several pedal models in one pedal. Like the ad says, you do the math...
darrell
keeley isnt the only person who mods the MT-2. and to those "who know" his mod is actually very low on the food chain. analogman does a fantastic mod and theres a guy who sells mod kits for about 15 us dollars and his is considered to be one of the very best for that particular pedal.

the metal muff is just praised around here because people on this board only had experience with the metalzone and when something comparable came a long they took to it. couple this with the fact that its made by the obtrusively overhyped electro harmonix and people on this board had a love affair with it. its honestly nothing special though.

i know opinions are abundant and seldomly reliable(especially here on UG) and people have a reason to doubt the MT-2, but consider my story. for years i'd been searching for a pedal to give me medium to high gain tones to augment the glorious three dimensional clean of my single channel vintage amp. i can safely say that 98% of pedals fell short for me. but the problem being i was absolutely vehement about keeping my vintage amp in favor of a high gain modern channel switcher. many of those sound downright thin to my ears and much too muddy for anything other than power chords. which brings me to another point.

where the sound matters most for me is live and LOUD. because lets face it, a recording can be touched up to perfection so its really no problem. but live a lot of amps and distortion pedals have a tendency to sound anemic and very muddy. the metal muff is no exception. it was much too mushy and muddy for any sort of complex chording, and with single notes they were as if i was playing a single coiled vintage strat, unbearably thin. NO BALLS or clarity at anything even resembling loud volumes. couple this with the generic unspectacular tone and the seemingly CONSTANT gain level(why have the knob if turning it down doesnt do anything) and i found the metal muff to be a loser. the top boost is a nice feature, but its like bragging that your ****ty station wagon has AC and automatic windows, big whoop.

back to the story. i was becoming extremly discouraged. so discouraged in fact that i had begun to audition very high-end channel switchers as a replacement to my amp. framus cobra, dragon, bogner uberscall, rectos, engls, DIEZELS, soldanos, etc. i ran through most of these like water and hated most of everything i tried. the ones i found satisfactory had the drive mostly down but the clean channels didnt tickle me in the way that my vintage amp did and nearly none had that big open huge quality of the amp. too compressed was the verdict on most of these. i was ready to give up at this point.

i came across a mod for the MT-2(wasnt particularly impressed with the stock pedals ive played except for the RATT sound ) but i rolled the dice. i was nothing short of stunned when i let those first notes rip through my amp. words to describe it would be: toneful, fat, round, complex, clear and accurate, surprisingly RESPONSIVE, ORGANIC, versatile, and not overly compressed(though you can get it if thats your deal). it keeps these qualities at the most extreme volumes and the raw recordings sound fantastic untouched.
Do you mean you got someone to physically modify your MT-2 or that you got someone else's settings to modify your MT-2?
^ physical modifications. its common knowledge that boss' doesnt ship their pedals with top shelf components. aside from that there are tweaks that can be made to improve many of their pedal circuits.
i never understood why people seek to compare assembly line boss pedals to something made by some guy with no life in a basement somewhere who is absolutely anal about everything he puts into every pedal he handmakes.
Best distortian pedal?

I personally like the distortius maximus

I tried it once but i prefer the tone of my peavy envoy 110