Is the Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier worth the price? (Just the head) Also would it be better than a Peavey 6505+ ? Although the 6505+ Is much cheaper .. like 1000 Bucks cheaper. I'm not concerned about money though, considering all I have to do is keep working and be patient, BUT I do need a head sooner rather than later for gigging with my band.. so what do you guys think??????? thanks alot!!!!!!!!
My Gear:
Gibson Flying V (active Emg's 81, 85)
Peavey 6505 Amp

Avatar Cab /w Vintage 30's / G12H-30's
Schecter Damien-6
ISP Decimator
Vox Wah Pedal
Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer
Roland Cube 60
Where did you get your pricing? I saw a new Triple Rectifier for $1200 somewhere. Anyway, I like the Triple Rectifier better.
personally i'd get the 6505.
the rectifer is awesome and all that. but the gain is too fizzy for me.

the mesa roadking, stiletto or mark IV is way better.

yeah get the peavey.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
I've heard their really loose sounding. I love my 6505+.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Quote by Mark-O1987666
Yeah Triple Rectifier beats any amp, save up

You obviously haven't played any good amps then.

Triple rectos are eh. I personally hate their tone, buy a Dual Recto if you're gonna go for a rectifier. Mark IV would be better though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Compared to a 5150, rectifiers kinda have this flabby bottom end imo. Not my cuppa tea, but i'd gladly take a Mark IV over those 2.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Quote by Mark-O1987666
Yeah Triple Rectifier beats any amp, save up

It won't touch my Roadking

I'm not a fan of the Recto series, they have horrible lead channels and the clean is very thin.

If you want a Boogie, get an F-100 (more vintage based Boogie but still modern), Stiletto (british meets american), or Mark Series (classic boogie tone). If you really wanna save up you can get a Roadking which is about $1,700 used but has a huge tonal library, or Triaxis.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
No, you're paying so much for the extra watts, it's almost exactly the same as the Dual.

Get the 6505, better for the money.
rectos record great, in the room with them and theyre too buzzy for me. id either step down to a dual or get something else.
Quote by MESAexplorer
It won't touch my Roadking

I'm not a fan of the Recto series, they have horrible lead channels and the clean is very thin.

If you want a Boogie, get an F-100 (more vintage based Boogie but still modern), Stiletto (british meets american), or Mark Series (classic boogie tone). If you really wanna save up you can get a Roadking which is about $1,700 used but has a huge tonal library, or Triaxis.

+1
rectos are kinda meh for that price range, bass is just too loose. mark 4, stiletto, and roadking are all awesome amps. i don't know anything about the f-100, but it's probably good.
if you have to choose between the tri-rec and the 6505, go with the 6505. otherwise, go price hunting for one of the mesa's listed above. you won't be sorry. don't get me wrong, the 6505+ is great. the mesa's are just better (minus the tri-rec).
No one needs a 150 watt all tube amp... Even 50 watts all tube is usually a huge overkill, look at some other brands, mesa isnt the only brand of amplifier.... Check out Engl and Laney
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Is everyone forgetting that a Roadking isn't worlds different than a Recto?

You guys are treating it like a completely different amp. I played both the RK, a Roadster, and a DR in the same store (mesa/boogie hollywood), and I can say that there are differences are there. However, they still suffer from the weak lead tones, and are still relatively loose in the bottom end, although the RK and Roadster do sound a good bit tighter.

+

Go for the Mark IV. It wipes the floor with both the DR and the 5150

Double Plus:

I noticed the Kirk avatar, and assumed that you were basing your tone searching off Metallica... but

What era Metallica tones do you dig (since I'm sure you aren't shooting to cop their tone, but it helps to know)? MoP, AJFA, Black? All three are Mark tones, just different versions. Mop is IIC+, AJFA is III, and Black is IV. The IV will get you close enough to a IIC+ to save you from having to hunt for a IIC+ and pay the hefty price, and III's are going for cheap on eBay.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Last edited by Striketalonx at Sep 17, 2007,
Quote by danielrobbyshor
personally i'd get the 6505.
the rectifer is awesome and all that. but the gain is too fizzy for me.

I can't believe you just called a Triple Rec fizzier than a 6505. Looser maybe - but nowhere near as fizzy.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Ok well I am just looking for a heavy tone, But everyone seems to say Mark IV ( I knew they were good in the first place, there just not made anymore) I wanted something I could buy new , but in that case it seems nothing new is good anymore.. lol so Mark IV it is!!!!!!! I wanted one but I didn't really want to go through the whole eBay hassle and haggle prices, i'd rather have a definate 1,300 price or w/e... Anyways ya .. thanks guys
My Gear:
Peavey 6505 Amp

Schecter Damien-6
ISP Decimator
Vox Wah Pedal
Roland Cube 60
Mark IV are still in production, but it's more like 1800+.

They are 2 different sounding amps though man. I love my Mark IV, but I don't think there is anything wrong with the T-Rec if you want that sound. In fact, it's one of my favorite sounding rectos. Everyone saying overkill, but the thing has serious headroom, and it's not that much louder than a dual. 150W isn't lighyears away from 100W, it's a factor of 10 to double the volume of an amp, which would be 1000W. I've seen them go used for less than dual recs on fleabay.

just my own opinion, but the best rectifier series I've heard live and played, was an old 2ch T-Rec thru a Marshall 1960AV. It was tight, articulate, and full of balls. The guy at GC was an older dude that knew how to dial it in, and my buddy bought the thing the next day. I played it a couple times at his house, and the thing raped. I owned a dual rec after that, and it never sounded the same to me. I don't know what mojo was in that amp.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Thats website is good and all, that is if you live in the UK.. :P
My Gear:
Peavey 6505 Amp

Schecter Damien-6
ISP Decimator
Vox Wah Pedal
Roland Cube 60
Quote by Hammett5
Thats website is good and all, that is if you live in the UK.. :P

He's just showing you that they do. You can't get Mesas online in the US so he can't exactly show you proof of they're still made from a website in the US.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Striketalonx
Is everyone forgetting that a Roadking isn't worlds different than a Recto?

You guys are treating it like a completely different amp. I played both the RK, a Roadster, and a DR in the same store (mesa/boogie hollywood), and I can say that there are differences are there. However, they still suffer from the weak lead tones, and are still relatively loose in the bottom end, although the RK and Roadster do sound a good bit tighter.

The Roadking and Roadster are worlds diffferent from the Rectos in tone. They're basically the same build, Roadking with the progressive linkage, and the Roadster with the fatter channels but the output is all that matters.

I find the Single, Dual, and Triple rectos completely unusable for leads unless you have an OD pedal to liquidize the gain, and a chorus pedal to fatten up the crappy cleans. They sell big because everyone loves the dirty channel's fat tight rhythm.

About a recto being fizzly... the vintage setting is fizzy, but more suitable for leads. It's the modern channel thats ultra aggressive, fat and punchy.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Lemme tell you my input. Yes I beleive its worth it! Here is why I say so(take it all for what its worth). I own the triple recto solo(most rescent amp purchase). When amp shopping...I demo'd a VHT pitbull, the new marshall JVM, peavey JSX, triple X and, 6505 plus, Krank.......and others. I played a LOT of amps side by side. I was ready to settle on the JVM cause its got a lot of tonal options and does everything pretty well. Then I spotted the mesa......only one in the store.

As the cashier was figuring what kinda deal he could make me on a JVM headed half stack.....I jacked into the mesa. Dialed up some settings with the knobs that looked useable for me.....turned it up.....played one chord and IMMEDIATELY changed my mind about any of the other amps. I dont know...it just hit the spot for me. It has punch that the others just lacked in my opinion. You just have to play one to see what I mean......with the right guitar and proper settings dialed in, it has a very real delivery. I have no flab problems whatsoever, but I can see how it would fart out some cabs. Even the mesa cab paired with the head is "resonant" I guess you could say. I use a krankenstein 4X12. The bass is tight as can be, the upper mids really attack(if you want)....and the mids overall deliver the punch I felt was lacking. I also dont have a problem with leads being fizzy. You have two distorted channels....just use the presence in moderation and especially if playing on the neck pickup, the fizz goes away but the notes pop just right.

This head was also more expensive than most.....so truthfully I wished it sucked compared to others cause I sure wouldnt have felt bad about saving money. But it didnt....so I payed more to get it. Try one out. None of the options you have given are "cheap" options for most people.......so Id play before you pay.
To hear what can be done with a pretty bare bones computer home studio, minimal cash and lots of time.....visit http://myspace.com/redlightcrisis I play the guitar on the tracks and take care of recording duties.
Recommended threads
korn tone help
brooklynsoulja1
Last post:
by samtewari
KoRn Sound
14shadesofblue
Last post:
by Fast_Bear