I've been playign guitar for quite awhile now (just about 2 years) but I have no idea what the action on guitars is all about.

I've been thinking of buying a new guitar soon so I'd like to know more about this.

So...can one of you guys tell me what it is?
It is basically how far away your strings are to your frets

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

a guitar's action is how high the strings sit above the fretboard. a lot of guitars that are set up for playing with a slide have high action where the strings are up really high off the fretboard. a lot of the shredders and metal guys go for guitars with lower action so the strings will be closer to the frets for fast stuff.
like he said, low action is good for soloing.

and in my opinion, is the most comfortable way to play guitar
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
well if you think about it, if the strings are REALLY close to the fretboard, you can press them against the frets more easily and quicker which makes it good for lead playing
the problem with this is you might get fret buzz if your guitar is not designed for really low action (fender strats to name one)

for rhythm you might want it abit further away so you can really 'feel' what you're playing
its hard to explain but its abit wierd playing rhythm on a guitar with really low action

just get a good balance between the two is my suggestion
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
I'm going to playing rythym for my band so I guess I'll probably take higher action into consideration.

EDIT:
Quote by FRDesign
It depends what fret size you have, With my Ibanez, I can have it really low.

The guitar that I'm really looking into (Gretsch G5120) has medium jumbo frets.
Last edited by ProfessorJim at Sep 16, 2007,
not too high otherwise you'll just make it difficult for yourself
i can play rhythm on my LP and the action is pretty low in comparison to what i'd consider 'high' action but it still feels great for lead and rhythm

just keep adjusting it till you find a good level
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari