would be the equivalent of how many watts soild state? I'm under the impression tube watts are more for some reason. Is their any truth to this? Thanks. And that should be plenty of bass power to go head to head with 100 watter tube guitar stack right? My cab is a 8x10.
Last edited by kiennM at Sep 16, 2007,
well firstly WYLD STALLYNS *imitates typical 80's shred with air guitar*

..well there is no definite equation but i always reckoned it was like 3-4 times as much... could be completely wrong... meh

x
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
its something to do with the human ear...the sound of a blazing tube amp seems to be a lot louder than an equivalently wattaged solid state. Generally a 50 watt tube amp is plenty fine for medium sized gigs...while you would need a 100 solid state to match that loudness
"The road ahead is lined with broken dreams, so walk, just walk on by..."
I've been told:

1 Tube Amp Watt = 15 Solid State

And then thefitz says:

That you want like 4 times the wattage.

So I'll let you do the math.
^that's not it bro. 1Tube watt = 15 SS watt isn't true. it's not a linear ratio i must say.

but for bass, i wouldn't want any clipping so i'd go solid state if i were u...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
SS amps clip, not tubes. Tubes start to distort a little bit.

By the way, if your guitarist has a 100 watt tube stack, you'll need 300 watts of tube. If you want solid state, I'd look into the 600+ watt range.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
He means distortion. As you turn up a tube amp into the 5-6 volume region the sound tends to get an edge to it. I cranked a 57 Bassman and **** did it sound nice and furry all the way up. The clipping of a tube amp is softer and more pleasing to the ear than an SS amp clipping since it is not as harsh. Case in Point... the song "Cheap Sunglasses" by ZZ top. The bass has a nice warm growl and in my opinion sounds great.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
Last edited by bassburton at Sep 16, 2007,
Quote by bassburton
He means distortion. As you turn up a tube amp into the 5-6 volume region the sound tends to get an edge to it. I cranked a 57 Bassman and **** did it sound nice and furry all the way up. The clipping of a tube amp is softer and more pleasing to the ear than an SS amp clipping since it is not as harsh. Case in Point... the song "Cheap Sunglasses" by ZZ top. The bass has a nice warm growl and in my opinion sounds great.

Win.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Yeah, about two years ago I did a show with my 3-piece, Vega. It's an indie-rock thing. Anyway, the guitarist uses a little 40 watt Fender Deluxe Reverb, which is all-tube, and I was using a Crate BT100 100watt, solid-state combo. He could EASILY drown out the entire band, including drums, without even trying.

In my current band, the guitarists have a Mesa triple rec, which is 150 watts all-tube, and and Randall T-2 which is 300 watts hybrid, with a solid-state power amp and tube preamp. They're about the same as far as maximum volume is concerned, with the Mesa going just a tad louder.

And you've gotta remember, Tom Morello's been mowing 'em down with his little 50-watt Marshall stack for years.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
my lead guitarist has two 25 watt marshall tube heads through two 4x12's and he's not allowed to play through them because the 600 watt PA another guitarist 100 watt SS(running through the PA along with the vocals) my 60 watt amp and a drummer couldn't be heard at all! Of course it sounded absolutely gorgeous but you didn't hear much for a while after that.lol. Either way yes tube is much more that SS.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Just out of curiosity, would a hybrid amp be louder than a straight-up SS amp of the same wattage? And by hybrid, I mean tube preamp and driver sections, and a MOSFET power-amp.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by mountaindew88
Just out of curiosity, would a hybrid amp be louder than a straight-up SS amp of the same wattage? And by hybrid, I mean tube preamp and driver sections, and a MOSFET power-amp.

Most of this Tube preamp business is a bit of a con; what would really be worthwhile would be a SS Preamp into a tube output stage.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I agree with John for the most part. A tube preamp doesn't make as much of a difference as a tube power amp would, but still, it has some effect on the tone. It's better than nothing.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

okay then, new question: which would have more total, applicable volume: a 300watt SVT Classic/SVT-2PRO, or my solid-state, 1100 watt 6PRO?

And if the 6PRO is in fact louder, how would it stand up to a Mesa 400+?

sorry about the questions, I'm just new to the high-powered amp world and am trying to get a good idea of comparable volumes :]
Quote by mountaindew88
okay then, new question: which would have more total, applicable volume: a 300watt SVT Classic/SVT-2PRO, or my solid-state, 1100 watt 6PRO?

And if the 6PRO is in fact louder, how would it stand up to a Mesa 400+?

sorry about the questions, I'm just new to the high-powered amp world and am trying to get a good idea of comparable volumes :]

Despite the title, the Mesa 400+ is actually a 300 watt tube amp. It's very decieving. It should be as loud as the SVT Classic and SVT-2. I would actually rate 300 tube watts as just about 1100 solid state. It's louder than a 1000 watt SS head, but not quite 1,200. I would say they're even. Take your pick!
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Quote by Your41Plague12
Despite the title, the Mesa 400+ is actually a 300 watt tube amp. It's very decieving.

how come on the Mesa site it says that it's 500 watts at 2 ohms? are they talking peak or RMS?
Quote by mountaindew88
how come on the Mesa site it says that it's 500 watts at 2 ohms? are they talking peak or RMS?

I'd guess they're talking RMS because if it runs at 300 watts at 4 ohms then 500 watts at 2 seems about right.

And I read somewhere that the reason tube amps sound louder than SS amps is because a tube helps reproduce a much wider spectrum of frequencies, most of which we cannot hear but notice when they are gone because they fill out the sound more and make the tube amp appear louder.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
I'd guess they're talking RMS because if it runs at 300 watts at 4 ohms then 500 watts at 2 seems about right..
I dont think tube amps equate as SS amps do.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Nope, 500 peak watts for the mesa. Tube amps put out the same wattage at a few selected impedances. Usually they have a switch on the back of the head for what resistance rating you'll be running it at. The Ampeg SVT-CL for instance puts out 300 watts RMS at both 2 and 4 ohms. I hope that made some sense.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist