51 65%
1st Loser
28 35%
Voters: 79.
I've been wondering this lately.

How do you view second place?

Do you view it as the 2nd winner?

Or the 1st loser?

Kind of like a "Glass half full/empty" sort of thing.

(Poll ASAP)
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
if the competition is only 4 or 5 people and you come second then you are a loser, but if it is out of 100 people and you come second then you are the second winner.
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
Quote by Garret.
if the competition is only 2 people and you come second then you are the loser, but if it is out of 100 people and you come second then you are the second winner.

+1
^

srsly, it depends on context. Second place in "the biggest asshole on the planet" contest is every bit as bad as winning.

Even LAST place can be quite an accomplishment. I'd be so proud if I came in last at just about any event at the Olympics, for instance. Just to be good enough to make it there would have been an honor.

The MOST important thing to say about 2nd place:

It's never a good target, but often a great result.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Sep 16, 2007,
Quote by Garret.
if the competition is only 4 or 5 people and you come second then you are a loser, but if it is out of 100 people and you come second then you are the second winner.

agreed.
Gear

Gibson Shred-X Explorer
Epiphone Negative Explorer w/ EMG 80/60
ESP LTD EC QM200
Ibanez RG321 w/ EMG 81/60

Peavey 5150
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Slant cab

http://www.delusionsof.com
It depends how place is determined. If you win several matches, and eventually its a tournament down to 1 on 1, and you lose, well, you're the loser, its not "well, i won second" at that point. But if its a list like "pick the 100 best guitarists" and you're on there, then you're a winner.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
If you don't win, you lose.

cookie for reference
Quote by Garret.
Depends on how furiously I'm masturbating

Quote by metacarpi
I get paid on the 25th.

Is a bag full of pennies an acceptable method of payment?

The bag will of course, have SWAG written on it

Wynaut of the Pokemon club.
hmm, depends on how many people are competing. 2nd out of 10,000 is not too bad, but 2nd out of 2 kinda sucks.

I voted first loser
The Space Farmer and Co-Founding Bastardo of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Quote by HighPitchSolo
If you don't win, you lose.

cookie for reference
If you mean "If your not first, you're last" its from Talledega(sp?) Nights. I don't want your cookie though
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Depends on the amount of people competing....

If its like 100 people, 2nd is the 2nd winner...
If its like 5 or something, 2nd is the 1st loser...

But saying that i wouldn't settle for 2nd best if it was something i was putting my heart and sole into! If i wanna do something, i wanna be the best at it!!
Quote by Garret.

As everyone else said, I agree.
You're either first or you're last.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
first is the worst
2nd is the best
third is the one with a hairy chest
Quote by bpoeoanry
go back to sleep
Waking up with boobs? Is there a visine for that.
If you're not first, you're last!!!!!!!!

and what SYK said:
"It's never a good target, but often a great result."
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
Last edited by PlayTheMetal at Sep 16, 2007,
If its like States Wrestling Tournament, then 2nd is still very very good, but if its like a meet with only 2 or 3 other teams, than no its not that great.
Well it depends on whether I'm in first or second. If I'm in first second is a fat piece of crap who I am far better than. If I'm second...lol, that doesn't happen. But If I were second I guess first would have to be extremely lucky so I would still be 1st in my book...
^to the guy who said wrestling, 2nd is good but you still aim for 1st and that other guy beat you. You can lose graciously but it'll still eat at you.

As stated earlier, context would play a fairly large role in this, say you're ranked the best at something then a tournament comes around and someone else beats you for 1st place well then 2nd place doesn't really cut it. If you're ranked the worst player or whatever you would be called in said tourney, then got to the finals and lost then 2nd place would be astounding and would leave me jumping for joy.
My Rig:
Ibanez RVX 220DX
Vox Valvetronix 30watt