Hey guys,

I have an old ('84/ '85) tele-style guitar which wasn't looked after too too well by the previous owner. Some of the chrome on the bridgeplate and neck pickup cover is oxidised (pitted and with a green patina). Any suggestions on how to clean the chrome? I tried just rubbing it with a dry cloth, and that got off the removable gunk, but I'd like to polish up the chrome plating a bit.

Also, the volume and tone pots are a bit stiff (although there's no crackle). Could I loosen them up with a squirt of WD-40, or is that a bad idea?

Any advice will be very welcome.

Thanks!

J
I'd use some kind of contact cleaner instead of WD-40 it will probably remove most of the potentiometers noise as well.
I don't know any brands from the us
in argentina there's one called "contac-matic", but I doubt it will exist in your country.
Still, any electronics shop should be able to recommend you such a product.
My gear:

Ibanez Rg470TI (2000 MIJ)
Kramer XLI (old, pre-gibson era MIK)
Yamaha C40 (nylon string)
Electrovox 100R (national made)
4x12 Ionic Cabinet
Digitech RP3 (willing to sell and looking for recommendations)
dont dont dont use wd40. contact cleaner is what you want. its not contact like sight-aiding contacts, but electronics contact cleaner. should cost about $5 a can which will last a life time.

go to walmart and get a pack of fine steel wool. you get 3 pads each of 0, 00, 000, and 0000. id start with the 0000 just to make sure you dont scratch it up, but go down in 0 (up in coarse-ness) if that isnt enough. that will cost about $1.