so i remember when i bought my first guitar, it was a fender mexican telecaster and i bought it for tag price without even questioning it.

when i bought my ovation acoustic i talked the guy down from 700 to around 630 and got a capo free.'

share stories of how you haggled the price of a guitar amp and something else.
when i bought my guitar, amp and cab i just shamelessly asked for cheaper prices and loads of free stuff lol

i said that someone who worked there said they'd give me a lower price since i was buying so much (which was kinda true)

anyway i got like 2 or 3 decent long cables, a suede strap, 2 sets of strings, some picks

my advice is don't be shy about asking for a cheaper deal
too many times people don't wanna come across as a cheapskate but you'll probably never see them again lol
just be shameless
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
SE custom, got it down from 560 to 500 with a free gigbag
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
the mananger dude at my guitar center gives me good deals all the time... i dont even ask lol... i got my jackson for $600.00, and it was tagged as either 650, or 630, and i got a few packs of the picks i like for free... plus he didnt put tax or whatever so it like my guitar n 2 or 3 packs of picks for 600 even...
hey you sigged me!!!!
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
my mate just bought a maton acoustic worth $1600 AUS, and he got him down to 1100, and got a capo and a hard case free.
my story will own all of urs

when i got my schecter elite 5 i talked the price from the sale price (507) to 400

and then got a case and warantee free

owned

i haggle your faces off
James

My Gear
schecter elite 5 hny sat
Kustom 30 WATT kba30
SWR vintage workingman combo 500/1500
Yamaha Extension 500w Speaker
SWR Workingman Extension 500w Speaker
Quote by ghettobassist92
my story will own all of urs

when i got my schecter elite 5 i talked the price from the sale price (507) to 400

and then got a case and warantee free

owned

i haggle your faces off

the dude above u got a better deal... did u read before u posted?
Quote by tarheelfan2

Quote by funkbass369

Quote by funkyfigure8
Last edited by JOEYPWNSU at Sep 16, 2007,
Quote by JOEYPWNSU
the mananger dude at my guitar center gives me good deals all the time... i dont even ask lol... i got my jackson for $600.00, and it was tagged as either 650, or 630, and i got a few packs of the picks i like for free... plus he didnt put tax or whatever so it like my guitar n 2 or 3 packs of picks for 600 even...
hey you sigged me!!!!

wow you still got ripped off
Quote by JOEYPWNSU
the dude above u got a better deal... did read before u posted?

haha, see, me and my frend own u all.lol
Quote by zombiesabbath
wow you still got ripped off

i saved money how did i get ripped off? i really can care less anyway, i wouldve payed more for that guitar if i had too....
Quote by tarheelfan2

Quote by funkbass369

Quote by funkyfigure8
my crate amp was reduced from £279 to £239...
i talked to the guy at the shop to give me the one on display for less...
i ended up getting it for £150...
and it was more convenient for me not having the box, as i was going to carry it all the way home..

note:
£1 = about $1.80
what were the conversations like for each of your haggling stories? i'm interested in learning the skill.
Quote by heminder
my crate amp was reduced from £279 to £239...
i talked to the guy at the shop to give me the one on display for less...
i ended up getting it for £150...
and it was more convenient for me not having the box, as i was going to carry it all the way home..

note:
£1 = about $1.80

heminder = owned everyone
Quote by fenderdude06
what were the conversations like for each of your haggling stories? i'm interested in learning the skill.

ask for money off, then if they say no, say what a bout if i pay cash, thats what i do anyway, they go for that.
i got a 250(usd) tube amp for 135. i even had the store owner go and get me 1 from storage that wasnt in the store so it had nt been touched by any non employees(except the companies' wharhouse workers and builders.)

all you gotta do is: when the store is running slow go in and look around for like 10-15 mins and keep going back to the thing you want and when someone says(and someone will)"can i help you?" you say " yeah im looking at this _______. but the price is a little to steep(that means high). when they make you an offer just say something like "thats still a little to hi" or "i am a little uncomfortable with that price. you can usually get most people down a good 75-120(usd)" if its not low enpugh then say i think i come back some other time. because the last thing they want is you to walk out empty-handed and with a full wallet. cash helps to.
Last edited by mohawkkidJohn at Sep 16, 2007,
Quote by fenderdude06

lets say the item is 400

"ooo... i got 350.... i guess thats not enough...."
"hey wate i can mark it down"

or you can throw in a little
"hey i saw this in a catalog for way cheaper man, this is a better price"

or this ones my favorite
"i'll pay 200 now, and im bringing in my old strat to sell next week" (and then dont bring anything, they'll probably forget)
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Quote by rage6945
lets say the item is 400

"ooo... i got 350.... i guess thats not enough...."
"hey wate i can mark it down"

or you can throw in a little
"hey i saw this in a catalog for way cheaper man, this is a better price"

or this ones my favorite
"i'll pay 200 now, and im bringing in my old strat to sell next week" (and then dont bring anything, they'll probably forget)

NEVER bring up a trade until you have the price down flat. Your price is $450. offer $375. IF they deny with say $400, counter at $380. If they don't want to budge, say you'll have to think on it then. Never get in a rush. If they ask if you have a trade, say "No" even if you do, and only bring it up once you've got the price agreed on. Always be ready to walk out and say you're going somewhere else where you can get the price you want. And don't buy into the "Well thats our invoice" as they rarely pay that due to bulk discounts, incentives, and other crap.
what are things that you say to them that work, cause when ive tried they dont lower the prices.
Quote by Wylde_Man
what are things that you say to them that work, cause when ive tried they dont lower the prices.

Me: "Could you do $350 on it?"

Sales Person: "No, the msot I could do is probably $400"

"Hmm *hesistates* Howabout $375? Will that work?"

"Im not sure. See this is (Im using this as an example) a japanese Jackson ,and these go for a fair amount on ebay."

"Well I cna get a new one for almost that price."

"Yeah, but these are made better compared to some of the newer ones"

"Eh, I think thats subjective. I know I can get one for $375 elsewhere."

"I'm sorry, but $400 is my bottom dollar"

"Hmm, alright, I'll have to think on it then"

"Well, letme see what I can do. *goes off* Yeah, I think I can do $375"

"Deal"

Thats just an example convo. Your success can vary depending on how long the guitar has been there, t he stores financial situation, the time of month, etc. Generally, the best time to buy is the end of the month.
At the guitar store I go to the manager usually likes to give deals and sometimes this one salesman will as well. I got my Valveking $100 off and got a footswitch too. The thing is I traded in some crap (not really) guitars so I didn't even put money on top but he still took the price down without me asking.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Got an Epi LP Custom, Vox ad30vt, SKB Hardshell case, and a 20 foot cable for 840 even. Just keep haggling down, talk like the price they gave you isnt good enough. Eventually they will keep giving you a lower prices.
Epiphone LP Cust. w/ SD '59 neck and Cust. 5 bridge
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
ElectroHarmonix Small Clone
We roll tonight, To the guitar bite
I bought a Mexican Jazz bass at Guitar Center for $400 even (they wanted $450 + tax which is about $490). I talked to the salesman, told him I had cash, and asked him if he could do it for $400 out the door. He told me he wouldn't be able to throw in in the gig bag, and then I told him I wasn't interested if he could not. He folded and agreed to sell it for $400. So I left with the Fender and the gig bag and $400 poorer, but I saved about 20%
My wife bought a factory refurbished Crate GTX 212 for 50 dollars.
I usually try to pull a fast one and phone ahead. My typical story is that I'm a guitar tech for a band and _______ piece of gear was damaged in transit and that I need a few copies as soon as possible. I have them quote me a price over the phone and later I show up with the name of the person that quoted the price and tell them that we only need one more of whatever piece of gear I want. I got my friend a Valve Jr. for $70 bucks with that story.

Other than that, I show up with cash in hand, but depending on the item, I'll intentionally be 20-25% short. When you pull out your cash and say "oh, well I only have _____, can we work something out?", typically they will deal to make the sale, especially if you've spent a while chatting them up.

When all else fails, a friend of mine just plays horrible songs on every guitar and amp he can find for a few hours until they deal with him just to get rid of him. That's how he haggled the GT-8 down to $200. Different clerks kept coming up to him and asking him if they could help him with anything. He would just repeat "I want a GT-8 and all I got is $200." The turning point was when he turned that phrase into a blues song and played it for a good long while.
Quote by TwoString
I usually try to pull a fast one and phone ahead. My typical story is that I'm a guitar tech for a band and _______ piece of gear was damaged in transit and that I need a few copies as soon as possible. I have them quote me a price over the phone and later I show up with the name of the person that quoted the price and tell them that we only need one more of whatever piece of gear I want. I got my friend a Valve Jr. for $70 bucks with that story.

Other than that, I show up with cash in hand, but depending on the item, I'll intentionally be 20-25% short. When you pull out your cash and say "oh, well I only have _____, can we work something out?", typically they will deal to make the sale, especially if you've spent a while chatting them up.

When all else fails, a friend of mine just plays horrible songs on every guitar and amp he can find for a few hours until they deal with him just to get rid of him. That's how he haggled the GT-8 down to $200. Different clerks kept coming up to him and asking him if they could help him with anything. He would just repeat "I want a GT-8 and all I got is $200." The turning point was when he turned that phrase into a blues song and played it for a good long while.

That's awesome! I'm gonna play stairway to heaven (but ONLY the intro) over and over again, full blast with a jackson on an MG100 Half Stack until they give me a marshall 4x12 slant cab for 20 bucks...
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
I'm not a very good haggler, but one time I came in for a gig bag, and the guy recognized me and offered me this Gibson gig Bag for $80 bucks, and all I said was Sh*t never mind, and he said "I'll give it to you for $40". I was also getting my guitars worked on there.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
all the stuff the guys have been saying on this post are gold.

ive gotten a few pretty good deals in the past, you just have to be professional.

i picked up a parker nitefly m, tagged 1400, for 1100 out the door with hardshell case. I got a MIM fender p-bass for 365 out the door with gigbag, and just a few days ago picked up a factory special run MIM fender tele tagged for 449, for 375 out the door with deluxe fender molded hardshell case.

A few good pointers are realize you can almost ALWAYS get a purchase over i'd say 25 dollars out the door with no tax. I wouldnt bother trying to get a pack of your favorite picks that retail for 4 dollars out of there for 3, but say that 10 pack of strings you use, that retails for 50 could easily be had for at least that tagged 50, no tax.

Keep in mind the sales people at the large chains work on commission, so they WANT to sell you stuff even if they dont always seem like it. But they also can tell the difference between tirekickers and people who can actually pay. when working out prices, always say those key phrases; "thats still pretty expensive," "im not sure I want to spend that much..." or my personal favorite "thats pretty much all my paycheck already..."

If you can, its good to go in, find what you want, talk to a sales rep, price it out, and tell them you will come back, that you are gonna check out other places too. Ask when that sales rep works next, because coming back the next time they work always motivates them to sell you whatever they helped you with, because this might be their last chance etc, im sure you get the picture

you can usually walk away with at least 25 percent off the item you want, and if your good, a solid 30-35 or even 40. more than that, id say is rare and people who can do it, should chime in
I got my AS103BM (see sig) down from $800 to $600 just by asking, "What's the best deal you can give me?"

The sales guy knew that if I didn't get a good enough price I would end up getting the AS73 (they didn't have any AS83's) so I think that helped.
Lately I've been buying some second hand gear and here are some questions you should ask.

How old is the item ?
Why are you selling it ?
Why was it bought in the first place ?

Two days ago i bought a epiphpone sg g400 in perfect condition with a hardcase for $350 the guy had it listed for $430 but after i found out he didnt play guitar i relised he would go for less because he dosn't value it as much anymore. He also said he was moving to melbourne next week and needed a little extra cash so i knew he would definately try and sell it to me. Then just for asking for a lower price and chatting with him it went down $80. All of that gear retails for around $860 AUD and i got it for $350 with a strap to.
thats what happened to me lol, the guy i was buying off needed to pay off his laybye for his bass guitars, I got a guitar down from 650 to 450, and it retails for 1200$!!! I wont post specs or anything in case he is on this board lol
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
even though there are many guitar shops in newcastle, i only use one for guitars, strings, accessories and whatnot.

so when i come to buy expensive pedals or guitars, i just say, can you do me a deal, or it that the cheapest you can do? ive got about 60-80 quid knocked off guitars from asking that.
is it worth saying you've seen it cheaper in another place?

i said that in music ground in leeds (absolute arseholes btw) and they got really funny with me

i'm thinking about getting an engl powerball and i've seen them on thomann for £980
they usually retail for about £1078 in english stores

do you reckon i could haggle it below £980?

and does this work if they are ordering the item in especially or does it only work on items they already have in the showroom?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
Quote by DKfan
My wife bought a factory refurbished Crate GTX 212 for 50 dollars.

was she naked
I bought a friend of mine a Schecter C1+ and a Crate GTD 15R for about $400 total. I also got a free case, strings and cable.

The Schecter alone is $550. I think I took about $300 off the total price.

Heres my trick. I always find the same salesperson. I said this: I already bought about $1500 worth in gear from you, and now I am yet again buying things from you. Give me an amazing deal, and I will be coming back to buy even more.
WTLTL 2011
I've gotten a Crate FXT65 for about $180 new w/o tax at GC. I got my Peavey Valveking head for $200 w/speaker cables. And too many other things free, to really list.

At GC, what I'll usually do, is a mixture of the above suggestions to get them down to a rock bottom price. Then, I'll go over whatever I'm purchasing like a hawk and find any imperfections there are, pointing them all out after I've inspected it. After I've got them at the lowest possible price I think they'll go, I'll agree to it, then bring up any equipment I want to trade in. I understand that I won't get much for the equipment I trade in, but if I've already talked them down a lot, it's all bonus.

For the Peavey, I finally got them down to $450 for the head. Then I brought in a couple things that got me $200 off that. When they rang me up, I handed them a $50 gift certificate that I won in one of their store contests. I think they had it tagged at a little over $500 before I spoke to anyone.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
what about when you go to the same store more than once? do you wait awhile to go back just in case the same salesperson might recognize you?
I got my LP studio reduced from AUS$3200 to $1400 because it was floor stock and had scratches (which i managed to buff out)

And when i bought my drum kit i payed $300 for it second hand, and the seller threw in some cymbals her dad had got her.
When i took them home they were new Zildgian with a $360 price tag.

So i got cheap cymbals and a free drum kit XDXDXD

And my mixing desk was reduced from $2000 to $1000 because a new model had just come out.
The new model is exactly the same, just new design and 12 band EQ instead of 10.
Last edited by Eat_0n_Kent at Jan 20, 2009,