I'm getting a JSX head soon and it's switchable between 4, 8, and 16 ohms. I'm wanting to get an avatar 2x12 cab for it. Does it matter what impedance cab I get? Like will there be an audible difference between them? And am I correct in assuming setting it to 8 ohms on the amp makes it work with an 8 ohm cab, etc? Sounds kinda stupid asking but I've read conflicting things in a couple threads.
  • Gibson LP Special
  • Fender MIM Strat
  • Orange Rocker 30 head w/ PPC212
  • Keeley modded TS9, Morley BH2, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-20

Member of the Orange Revolution Club
In theory, it should sound the best when the 16ohm tap is used, since it will use the most windings from the transformer. Whether or not you hear an audible difference is down to the individual. Personally, I would just get something that will work with both your amps, if you're keeping the BJ.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Yeah that would be smart, I just sold the BJ though. Is the 8 ohm -> 8 ohm thing correct? I've heard people say something else, but they may have been talking about using two cabs, I can't remember. I just want to make sure I get the right thing before I drop $300 on a cab.
  • Gibson LP Special
  • Fender MIM Strat
  • Orange Rocker 30 head w/ PPC212
  • Keeley modded TS9, Morley BH2, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-20

Member of the Orange Revolution Club
as long as you match them, ie 8ohm on the head, 8ohm cab, you'll be fine. The output jacks on the head are in parallel, so if you used (2) 8ohm cabs, the resulting load the head would see is 4ohm(2x8ohm in parallel = 4ohm). In that case, you would set the head to 4ohm so it matches the load it's seeing.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids