Hey. I've been playing my bass for like 3.5 years now and I have yet to play a fender. My friend has a starter pack silvertone bass ($200 pack) and I played it after playing my $500+ basses and I loved the tone that came out of it. It had p-bass style pick ups and I was wondering if that was the reason the tone was so punchy and punky.

I saw someone selling a used standard 2006 p-bass for $250 and was wondering if I should act upon it considering that the tone that came out was because of the pick-ups and if this bass will sound even better. To make a long story short, does the sound of my friends starter bass have that tone because of the pickups and should I act upon the used p bass.

-Biehayn

Edit: my friends silvertone was warped so his is really no good to play with past fret like 5.
what bass do you currently have?
+what amp do you and your friend have?

is it possible that he had the amp at a different setting then you usually have it, hence you liking the tone better?
I have 2 Ibanez soundgears, one is the sr505 and the other is the srx3.

I use a GK half stack, Backline 600 head with goldline 4X10 cab. I ran his bass through my amp. He only has the starter bass amp that was included.
yeai it pretty much is based on the pickup. Humbuckers are way fatter than single-coil P-bass pickups. id say go for it, as long as it isnt a crappy Squier.
yea judging by what you said i'd say go with the P-bass, its just a thing of taste, and I guess you enjoy P-basses more, check some out to, there are more companies than fender that make P-basses

(although Fender is really good at makin' em)
Used for $250? I bet being in the US you can get a new one for not much more.

Quote by Zar938

Fender did kind of... invent the P-bass. I think that gives them a good claim to the "we know how the fuck to build a P-bass" title.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic

Fender did kind of... invent the P-bass. I think that gives them a good claim to the "we know how the fuck to build a P-bass" title.

+1, But are you sure the silvertone is warped and that its not the action or strings?
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by Zar938
yea judging by what you said i'd say go with the P-bass, its just a thing of taste, and I guess you enjoy P-basses more, check some out to, there are more companies than fender that make P-basses

If any company other than Fender makes a P-Bass, they should expect a lawsuit.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by sammcl-15
+1, But are you sure the silvertone is warped and that its not the action or strings?

Hmmm I don't know I'll try to take a pic tomorrow of it and you guys can be the judge
Quote by thefitz
If any company other than Fender makes a P-Bass, they should expect a lawsuit.

Yes, Fender has sued Gibson; Ibanez and Gibson have sued each other etc etc over the past four decades. It makes some rather entertaining reading if you have the time to google all the lawsuits out there.

There are some decent P bass clones out there, but you probably need to go back a few decades. However, all in all, nothing sounds like a true Fender P bass.
Quote by Caustic

SIGGED!!!!

But yeah I would go for it if its a MIM they run about 400 new in the U.S. so you'll save about 150. And money is ALWAYS good.
from all i have played, the P bass has given me the best combination of action, tone and feel. i like the active pickups they have much better than the passive of the several other basses ive tried. the tone they give rips straight through you
my sh*t:
Fender Precision Bass
Johnson Bass by Axl
custom Road handwired 2-12
Dunlop Tortex .73s
Quote by watchingmefall
What about Sadowsky and Lull?

What are their models called?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
well it depends really, if it's a US standard then that's a really good price and i would reccomend it. if it's mexican, you may aswell fork out the bit extra for a new one. but the tone you described is pretty much the type of tone you get out of a P so i would totally reccomend getting a P-bass.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
if it sounds good and feels good to you why are you even asking us? go and buy it? who cares what we think as long as youre happy with it?
Because we have experience in the instruments and can tell him if he's getting a good deal or not?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
ok... as for precision basses.... i'd recommend the fender or lakland......

but the older fender models are the best, but i doubt you can find on cheap....
Quote by Divine Comedy
ok... as for precision basses.... i'd recommend the fender or lakland......

but the older fender models are the best, but i doubt you can find on cheap....

Everybody and their brother has produced a P Bass like bass over the years, with various levels of success (and lawsuits as previously said).

There are several options here. You can get a clone and replace the components with Fender components--I am taking that tact at the present. Or you can buy a Fender P Bass as well. As I said before, if you are looking for the classic Fender P Bass tone, you should stick with a Fender. And I am not in agreement with Divine here; some of the newer one's still have a great wonderful punchy tone and can bear the name as proudly as their predecessors.

And boy, Divine Comedy, you seem somewhat familiar. Maybe I ran into you in another bass forum...hmm...
no... you havent, its my first ...

but i really like the tone of those fender precisions of the 70's.... its not... better... its just different, and they sound better to me then the new ones....
Quote by Divine Comedy
no... you havent, its my first ...

That's weird...

I recognise you too...

Hmmmm...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
yea.. i REALLY wish my ibanez sr-505 came in a P/j pickup configuration. i had an old 5 string samick that was like that and MAN was it ever nice..
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by watchingmefall
can't remember but the way they look, just damn. The same but just better.

Yeah, but if they were called 'P-Basses', Fender would contact Mr. Lawyer.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I hate Fender because they all look the same. They have great sounds but it looks so plain thats why I have my Ibanez BTB and it kicks ass
And remember kids, looks are everything.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by thefitz
Yeah, but if they were called 'P-Basses', Fender would contact Mr. Lawyer.

That looks pretty similar in name and shape to me.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by aixelsydevahi

That looks pretty similar in name and shape to me.

Yeah, but Fender owns the tradmark of 'P-Bass'. I guess 'P' is fine.
Quote by Cody_Grey102