Page 1 of 3
I don't get why History is a major subject taught in school... Just about every career uses Math, Science, and English, those all make total sense to me. What careers use History? Historian, History teacher... I'm drawing a blank here =/ I can think of some other things that should be focused on as main subjects... Not saying History should be done away with but maybe make it a secondary subject. I mean learning about the past is fun, but to a certain extent... I really could care less about what specific material was traded between two cities I've never heard of over 200 years ago. I once heard somewhere it is taught to be a memory association type of class... if they really wanted to teach us memory association why not do it in an actual memory association class rather than covering it up with learning about the past in extreme detail. Also one more thing I find it funny that for just about everyone I've talked to about History in school, they will agree that History is the subject that requires the most work, and is (to me and many others) the most stressful. Oh well I might be biased since I have to do a whole lot of History questions tonight, but I was wondering how other people felt on this... Thanks for taking the time to read my wall of text :P
Fender American Stratocaster
Marshall MGHDFX100
Marshall 412A Cab
Boss MT-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Just from reading your post, I've gathered that history helps you in memorizing, working hard, and dealing with stress.
Maybe you should be doing your history questions instead of asking the pit about this.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Do you plan on voting in your lifetime? If so, knowledge of history will help you make wiser decisions. If not, you have more issues than just history homework.
we learn it cus its something everyone shud kno, not because it will be uselful in future jobs. its important to kno how past wars were started, how civilizations grew/crumbled, etc

an history has a nasty way of repeating itself.....
i enjoy history...and you get to learn from others mistakes

for instance, you shouldn't try to invade russia in the winter unless you have the proper supplies and provisions...now see if i hadn't heard about napoleons failures i may have tried to invade russia without thinking about that

history is important
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
You use English Maths and Science in the workplace?

The only useful subjects that you learn are all technology related: computing, woodwork, electronics, cooking etc.
Quote by RageAgainst...

for instance, you shouldn't try to invade russia in the winter unless you have the proper supplies and provisions...now see if i hadn't heard about napoleons failures i may have tried to invade russia without thinking about that

history is important

exactly. napoleon failed. hitler failed. but you, sir, will not. y? becuase you studied history.
History spawns off to Politics, Journalism, Law...

Almost all careers use Maths and Science? Only boring careers...

History > Maths & Science
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Because the original purpose of public schools was to teach kids about government and economics.
History is taught so we can understand the world we live in today. It teaches you why some things are the way they are, it's really quite an important subject.
Quote by markus192
I don't get why History is a major subject taught in school...
"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
-- George Santayana
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Doolittle
I think history is a great class

+1

you cant know where your going unless you know where you've been
It's a great subject and as cliche as it sounds, you'll be bound to repeat it if you don't learn it. And seeing the direction the U.S. is going right now, we're heading towards a downfall similar to those ancient societies that ruled, overextended their rule, couldn't pay their debts and had too much inner turmoil to handle. Anyway, obviously our leaders haven't payed too much attention to these trends.
And on a side note, I'm nominated for Governor's Honors in History this year.
If morning's a bitch with open arms, night's a girl who's gone too far.

OMGWTFBBQ
Quote by REPOMAN
Because the original purpose of public schools was to teach kids about government and economics.

Fail.

The original purpose of public schooling was so children could read and thus study the Bible. This originated in Germany, by a movement called the Reformation.
Quote by markus192
I don't get why History is a major subject taught in school... Just about every career uses Math, Science, and English, those all make total sense to me. What careers use History? Historian, History teacher... I'm drawing a blank here =/ I can think of some other things that should be focused on as main subjects... Not saying History should be done away with but maybe make it a secondary subject. I mean learning about the past is fun, but to a certain extent... I really could care less about what specific material was traded between two cities I've never heard of over 200 years ago. I once heard somewhere it is taught to be a memory association type of class... if they really wanted to teach us memory association why not do it in an actual memory association class rather than covering it up with learning about the past in extreme detail. Also one more thing I find it funny that for just about everyone I've talked to about History in school, they will agree that History is the subject that requires the most work, and is (to me and many others) the most stressful. Oh well I might be biased since I have to do a whole lot of History questions tonight, but I was wondering how other people felt on this... Thanks for taking the time to read my wall of text :P

if you think history is about memory recall, you're a tool. history is useful in a career based sense for the same reason things like english literature are; they develop analytical abilities.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Math? You've got to be kidding me. The average person barely uses it after schooling is complete, save for simple arithmetic. I don't think I'd enjoy school at all if I didn't have a history class. World Studies is my favorite class, even though it is 2 periods.

Quote by RageAgainst...

Well, in Soviet Russia, proper supplies and provisions have YOU!
Last edited by thewho65 at Sep 16, 2007,
Quote by RageAgainst...

history is important

Gear:
Rickenbacker 620
Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX
Snarling Dog Whino Wah
Not Enough cables
I can't relate to the never ending games you play.
Quote by GrungePb
+1

you cant know where your going unless you know where you've been
Exactly. History is my favorite class
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I'm a history major. I think it's a great thing - it's practical and it creates a completely alternative form of thinking about things. History classes force you to memorize people, places, dates, events, etc - it also involves a lot of research because you can't read something from one source and automatically assume that there's no counter-argument or that the single source is a complete definitive guide including all the information about whatever you're researching. In turn, businesses like to hire historians for analytical fields that involve research and comparing future estimations in regards to everything that has happened in the past.

Example: Should Company A decide to continue selling Product 1?

Well, first you would have to look back at all the previous years Product 1 has been on the market, look at it's target demographic consumer, and also find competitors products and research them. This will allow you to better predict whether or not Product 1 should be modified, altered, or simply stay as is and if it will still be profitable. This is just from a historic researching point of view not even a business/economic stand point.

History goes far deeper than simply learning who did what and how to not repeat mistakes of others. There's an entirely different philosophical point of view as well as an analytical point of view that creates questions of why things occurred and how to prevent them from reoccurring in the event that the problem might arise again.

Looking at the US economy right now the guy who is in charge of the US Economy focused his main study in college on economics during the Great Depression. He is actually using the same economic tactics and principles that got us out of the Depression in an attempt to stabalize our economy more and create an expansion.

History is crazy man. Don't **** with it or deny it's badassity.
History is my favorite class. I love learning about other civilizations and different parts of the world, It helps kill ignorance too.
Maybe i should have worded this better, I do care about History to learn why some things are the way they are today... also to in a way learn from past mistakes (although I know i will never have the oppritunity to make a decision that a past world leader has made, I mean when will I have the power to decide wether or not our country invades another) I do however think there are better ways do so. Also I think it is unfair that in my class we are judged (tests) on how well we can remember small non important details of a time period, rather than the big picture of a time period which i feel would be much more important to be judged on...
Marshall MGHDFX100
Marshall 412A Cab
Boss MT-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by acoginthesystem
History is crazy man. Don't **** with it or deny it's badassity.

+1
Quote by myself101
History spawns off to Politics, Journalism, Law...

Almost all careers use Maths and Science? Only boring careers...

History > Maths & Science

The last two statements are every bit as fucked up as saying Maths & Science are the only important subjects. For some people they are more important than History. But balance in the foundation of one's education is most important. Later, specialization dictates what is important for the individual.

"Only boring careers..."

My career requires an intimate knowledge of Maths & Science. It's not boring. But it won't bother me if you call it boring.

... it also won't bother me if you pound sand up your ass.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
dude.... history lets us all know how things became what they are today.

this sh*tty thread should be history.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by thewho65
Math? You've got to be kidding me. The average person barely uses it after schooling is complete, save for simple arithmetic.

That's a ridiculous statement

Every business management person in the world uses math, not to mention accountants, scientists, statistitians, a good chunk of factory line workers, construction workers, architects, engineers, politicians, law enforcement employees, doctors and even things like psychologists use math higher than simple arithmetic on a daily basis.

I would seriously estimate that well over a quarter of the population uses algebra level math or above, or statistics on a daily basis.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
I do agree that history is important. But I hate learning all the exact dates. I mean, its not all that relevant if you know the exact point in time Hitler came into power. As long as you know the story and the basic morals and ideas behind it, a ball park figure of the time should be fine.
Quote by markus192

Two if-you-have-to-asks.

First, if you have to ask, then you obviously don't know anything about how the world's political, social, and economic systems have, do, and will function. In which case you need to be learning more/better history.

Secondly, if you have to ask, you're a dumbass, just like most people in these parts. It's entirely possible I'm wrong, but in my experience just about everyone that comes from a non-"Western" country (and to a lesser extent a non-English speaking country) knows more about history and geography and the world in general than people from Western/English countries. Even when I adjust, a lot, for the fact that people I speak too are necessarily more international-minded.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
Quote by Musicman48858
That's a ridiculous statement

Every business management person in the world uses math, not to mention accountants, scientists, statistitians, a good chunk of factory line workers, construction workers, architects, engineers, politicians, law enforcement employees, doctors and even things like psychologists use math higher than simple arithmetic on a daily basis.

I would seriously estimate that well over a quarter of the population uses algebra level math or above, or statistics on a daily basis.

Yes but accountants and business management are prepared for math. Same with scientists and statisticians. As for factory line workers, doubt it. And why would you even mention engineers, construction workers, and architects? Every knows those careers are almost solely based off mathematics. So, basically every job you named is a field in or relating to mathematics, whereas I said on average, a person doesn't normally use complex math everyday.
History is by far my favorite class. If you have a good teacher and have debates about religion and politics it's by far the most fun class. I find the past fascinating.
Quote by StreetLight3989
History is by far my favorite class. If you have a good teacher and have debates about religion and politics it's by far the most fun class. I find the past fascinating.

Exactly, A lot of kids in my class say that we don't need to learn it. It's always fun proving to them why we do.
I think that could be why I don't enjoy History.. it seems as if every year I get a teacher who doesn't know anything about History... Last year on the review day before our midterm we shot crumpled up paper into a garbage pail to get extra points on our exam (this was supervised and suggested by our teacher) AP class too by the way...
Marshall MGHDFX100
Marshall 412A Cab
Boss MT-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Speaking of different subjects and seeing that this is a musical website... in the midieval quadrivium of subjects that were taught music was one of the fundamental four. Seems weird to think of the four most important subjects as arithmatic, astronomy, geometry and MUSIC...
Quote by acoginthesystem
Speaking of different subjects and seeing that this is a musical website... in the midieval quadrivium of subjects that were taught music was one of the fundamental four. Seems weird to think of the four most important subjects as arithmatic, astronomy, geometry and MUSIC...

and look what happened to music in school today... I had a teacher who in 4th grade never taught me the notes, or how to read music... that made for a few frustrating years of my life (I played the trombone btw, I love music but couldn't figure out what i was doing...)
Marshall MGHDFX100
Marshall 412A Cab
Boss MT-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

The last two statements are every bit as fucked up as saying Maths & Science are the only important subjects. For some people they are more important than History. But balance in the foundation of one's education is most important. Later, specialization dictates what is important for the individual.

Exactly.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
My career requires an intimate knowledge of Maths & Science. It's not boring. But it won't bother me if you call it boring.

Then ignore my post? I hate Maths & Science, I'm a creative thinker. I'm interested in subjects like Drama, Music, History, English. You're probably a black and white thinker, nothing wrong with that. We just think differently.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
... it also won't bother me if you pound sand up your ass.

*sigh*
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Learning isn't simply about equpping one's self for a career and neither is university. Broadening the mind, improving your self, learning for the sake of learning. 's not all about money
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Page 1 of 3