Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by myearshurt
what does it mean when someone says something like 'let's jam in E' or 'i can play anything, as long as it's in E'

One of two things:

1. For some reason said person only knows how to play in the key of E (usually major)

2. Said person's guitar is tuned to E standard tuning, and anything lower would be impossible for him to play.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by myearshurt
^ that raises more questions than it answers xD

Well then get ready to learn theory. That is how I feel 99% of the time.

It is so hard to explain a key...but I think of it as which notes sound good together. It is 7 notes, and there are a certain number of sharps or flats in each one. I can't really explain it...
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by Doodleface
it means in the key of E.

using the notes:
E, F#, G#, A, B, C#, and D (if Major)
or
E, F#, G, A, B, C, and D (if Minor)

Excellent. To expand a little: It means that the root chord is E. In Western music certain combinations of chords are said to "go together" i.e. sound good together.
Some humour. One time at a jam session a guy said the same thing to me. "Hey Dude, lets just jam in E." He started in E and didn't change chords for 20 minutes, at which point I got tired of the jam and had a beer.
^

yep yep.

and thread starter, just so you know that's a good way to start thinking about single notes and scales. notes that all sound good together.

see, there's the fretboard. every space is a note.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011