so theres a quiz in my history of rock class but i dont know most of the answers help me out UG!!

1. Identify two early african american styles of music BEFORE the civil war.

2. who was the first american songwriter to actually make a living writing popular songs? (i think its robert johnson, not sure..)

3. Name and describe the early piano music known for its "ragged" feel. what was it called, waht kid of rythm did it use, and who was the best known african american who wrote it.

4. The first recoded solo break that we identified in this calss was by whom?
(i remember it was louis armstrong but i cant remember what song, i remeber there was a guy playing the teacup in it tho..)

5. name two early white swing band leaders who popularized the muisic in their concerts and recordings.

6. In the 8--note scale, which scale notes are the "blue" notes?

7. What was it callend when the blues harp player is playing a harp in a key a fifth below that of the guitar. (harmonizing?? no clue..)

8. Using leters A and B, what is the form of a basic 12 bar blues.

9. Using C as the tonic chord, F as the subdominant chord, and G7 as the dominant chord, draw a 12 bar blues diagram.
(example: l G l F l F l Fl
l G l F l F l Fl
lC l F l G l Gl) that was copmletely bs'd tho

10. Name the early blues singer who "sold his soul to the devil" down at the crossroads. (it was the karate kid in the movie crossroads where he battles steve vai, but i cant remember his name!!)

11. Name 3 early CHcago blues masters and the record company where they recorded. (i know the company was Chess records, but thats it..)

so help me UG!!
Overdrive of the Autobot Transformers G1 Club

Van Halen, October 16th, All-state arena, Section 213 Row A
I think you should do your own homework.

EDIT: Also, the movie 'Crossroads' has NOTHING to do with that question.
<Han> I love Hitler
try googling some of these. it helped in my music appreciation class.
"Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth." -
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I wish I was gay.

Quote by cashewchaching
Even though he's an ugly woman, my favorite is john mayer.
You have a "history of rock" class?

You jammy bastard!

2 is definately not Robert Johnson. I'm not sure who it is, but it isn't him.
3 is "Ragtime", popularised by Scott Joplin.
7 is "Cross harp"
11 could be Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker, all on Chess.

Yeah, do your own homework.
3. Name and describe the early piano music known for its "ragged" feel. what was it called, waht kid of rythm did it use, and who was the best known african american who wrote it.
-ragtime, Scott Joplin ?

8. Using leters A and B, what is the form of a basic 12 bar blues.
AABA ?
#1: Traditional Spiritual and early blues

#5: Benny Goodman and Gene Krupa

#11: T-Bone Walker, Muddy Waters, B.B. King. Basically anyone from early Chess records.
Last edited by thewho65 at Sep 16, 2007,
DUDE!! History of Rock?!?!? Are you serious? where do you live, man, i want that class in my school
i HAVE done my own homework, this is a 30 question worksheet... i just gave you guyss the ones i didnt know, i just need the extra boost from UG

EDIT: what the F*** am I on? Its b3rd, b5th and b7th-answer to question 6
Last edited by Hammett Fan69 at Sep 16, 2007,
I think the first "popular" early blues/rock musician would have been Leadbelly- but there were so many before him that didnt get infamy its hard to say. I guessed Leadbelly over Robert Johnson because Leadbelly was born 20 years earlier or something.
I would be dissappointed if I took History of Rock class and I got these kinds of questions. I would expect easy stuff, like, what was Jimi Hendrix's favorite holiday? Or, how many songs have the Rolling Stones recorded?
I've got a bike you can ride it if you like
Quote by jaggerbush320
I would be dissappointed if I took History of Rock class and I got these kinds of questions. I would expect easy stuff, like, what was Jimi Hendrix's favorite holiday? Or, how many songs have the Rolling Stones recorded?

well we get there eventually right now we're getting out of the 50's and into the 60's. you start from 1950's and make your way forwards throughout the semester. so no worries

6 is 1,3,5
Quote by bpoeoanry
go back to sleep
Waking up with boobs? Is there a visine for that.
Quote by killedbyaspork
6 is 1,3,5

okay some guy said 4 and this one says 1,3,5

which one is it?

Quote by garrett5
You get a history of rock class? you lucky bastard!

SERIOUSLY!
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
cmon you guyss theres still a couple that havent been answered, the test is tomorow help!

1. Identify two early african american styles of music BEFORE the civil war. Spirituals is one

2. who was the first american songwriter to actually make a living writing popular songs? (i think its robert johnson, not sure..)

3. Name and describe the early piano music known for its "ragged" feel. what was it called, waht kid of rythm did it use, and who was the best known african american who wrote it. Ragtime Jazz!

4. The first recoded solo break that we identified in this calss was by whom?
(i remember it was louis armstrong but i cant remember what song, i remeber there was a guy playing the teacup in it tho..)

5. name two early white swing band leaders who popularized the muisic in their concerts and recordings.

6. In the 8--note scale, which scale notes are the "blue" notes? the third is one I think.

7. What was it callend when the blues harp player is playing a harp in a key a fifth below that of the guitar. (harmonizing?? no clue..)

8. Using leters A and B, what is the form of a basic 12 bar blues. A B A A B B A A B (There should be a C, but whatever)

9. Using C as the tonic chord, F as the subdominant chord, and G7 as the dominant chord, draw a 12 bar blues diagram.
(example: l G l F l F l Fl
l G l F l F l Fl
lC l F l G l Gl) that was copmletely bs'd tho

10. Name the early blues singer who "sold his soul to the devil" down at the crossroads. (it was the karate kid in the movie crossroads where he battles steve vai, but i cant remember his name!!) Robert Johnson!

11. Name 3 early CHcago blues masters and the record company where they recorded. (i know the company was Chess records, but thats it..)
Dickless.
1. Gospel, maybe?

2. NOT Robert Johnson. He was actually very little-known during his time. It wasn't until his "rediscovery" by 60s blues rock guitarists that he became famous.

4. Ragtime, Scott Joplin. Famous songs are "The Entertainer" and "Maple Leaf Rag"

| C | C | C | C|
| F | F | C | C |
| G7 | F | C | F |
I'm pretty sure this is it, except the last time you play it, it should end on C. The last F is a turnaround to get you back to the beginning.

10. That's Robert Johnson.
Can't stop the signal.
I wish there was a History of Rock class at my school. We have a ton of clubs but none of them are like that.
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3