Page 1 of 2
Hey, could y'all possibly name some musicians who don't know any, or much music theory? I remember seeing someone post a musician who claimed to not know any, a while back.

Thanks a lot!
Well, I'd imagine if they can play at all the know some theory. Although, knowing isn't believing?... but you can't just believe your guitar into crazy solo.
any hxc bands? idk... jimi hendrix probably didnt
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Kanye West... he just uses Daft Punk's knowledge of music theory then makes a huge fuss when he doesn't win an award...
Fender American Stratocaster
Marshall MGHDFX100
Marshall 412A Cab
Boss MT-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
lol +1 markus thats liek the second time rap has taken from daft punk
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
uhh.. you?
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
John Lennon.
Quote by bananahammock
How many mods does it take ban half of the pit?
one, Carmel.

▼▼▼▼▼▼
▼▼ ▲ ▲▼▼
▼▼▼▼
▲ ▲▲ ▲
Nikki Sixx and Slash
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
You are simply the greatest person ever to walk this great planet.
I mean, if you have a connection with a guitar, a great ear and plenty of self-teaching, you don't need music threory. Music Theory is just great musicians passing down techniques or patterns that they notice or like or have learned without theory. Jimi played scales, not necessarily cause he learned them as scales, but because thats the sound he wanted and many years before that someone also liked that grouping of sounds and gave it a name, pentatonic.
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
Quote by C.C. Deville
lol +1 markus thats liek the second time rap has taken from daft punk

Those guys were the masters of rhythm, Rappers need rhythm, black people like to steal, its hard to believe they didnt do it 50 times by now.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
noel gallager doesnt even know the names of the chords he plays... when he writes a song he plays it to the other guitarist and has him write the chords down
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
Quote by evan1234567
most famous ones dont.

I'm pretty sure thats a highly ignorant statement. I mean, if you are playing something enjoyable and coherent, its probably following some rules or patterns that can be explained in Music Theory. If you don't learn any theory, you are just going at it blind and learning from your mistakes, if you learn theory, you study the lessons learned by many years of musicians who have been making mistakes and doing it themselves for a long time.

Do not be fooled into believing that players with no theory are more creative/better, that has nothing to do with it, the fact is that many players who have been teaching themselves with ear training and practice have a more natural connection to the guitar. Learning theory can guide you to the sounds that compliment the music or give you an understanding of relations to notes in music and their effects.

Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
Quote by benjy118
John Lennon.

Quote by Captain Insano
Actually all of the Beatles din't know shit about music.

Actually there is a HUUUGE difference between not knowing anything about music theory and -How to READ music-. Lennon and McCartney (I dont know about the others) didn't know how to READ sheet music at first. They had a fine amount of music theory and only worked on it more and more with each passing album, even learning how to read sheet music.

Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

Last edited by horazonblade at Sep 16, 2007,
pretty sure hendrix didn't, I don't think SRV did either... annd I'm not entierly sure but les claypool possibly...
Quote by bpoeoanry
go back to sleep
Waking up with boobs? Is there a visine for that.
I'm sure most punk musicians don't know any. (not to offend, but I'm just saying... I obviously like punk )
Quote by paulvxD
I'm sure most punk musicians don't know any. (not to offend, but I'm just saying... I obviously like punk )

Because you have a mohawk?
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by myself101
Because you have a mohawk?

That and there are punk bands in my ugp
flea from the red hot chili peppers doenst know much.
I'll believe in anything and you'll believe in anything.
last.fm
hmm many classic rock guitarist didn't know a lot of it. I believe that you don't need to be a master of theory to make good enjoyable music, though I am teaching myself all the theory I can just to have it in case a song needs it.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by paulvxD
myself

of course, since you have a mohawk, have some punk bands in your ugp, you are punk enough to not need theory, you hardcore punker you.
John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison (according to manager George Martin), Jimi Hendrix, Duane Allman (according to brother Gregg)
Can't stop the signal.
Quote by markus192
Kanye West... he just uses Daft Punk's knowledge of music theory then makes a huge fuss when he doesn't win an award...

He made that Daft Punk song a hell of a lot cooler. Even if he is an arrogant ****, the man is musically brilliant.
Anyway, whatshisface from Cheap Trick didn't learn any theory.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Dimebag didn't know much music theory..

Dave Mustaine doesn't know shit about what he's doing, but he sure makes not knowing anything about your own music sound good!
Quote by GdayArmstrong
of course, since you have a mohawk, have some punk bands in your ugp, you are punk enough to not need theory, you hardcore punker you.

...?

Coming from the guy with the Green Day avatar.. *cough*

No.. I don't know theory because I barely have a clue what it is and I don't take lessons. He asked which musicians don't know theory, I am a musician, I don't know theory. back off

I do not only play/listen to punk.. My band has more of a metal/hard rock sound than a punk sound
Last edited by paulvxD at Sep 16, 2007,
Quote by Rebirah
Hey, could y'all possibly name some musicians who don't know any, or much music theory? I remember seeing someone post a musician who claimed to not know any, a while back.

Thanks a lot!
Why, so you can feel good about yourself for being too lazy to put in the discipline it takes to build a strong knowledge of the foundations of music?

Quote by Captain Insano
That's one of the stupidest comments about a band I've ever heard in the entirety of UG's history. Feel proud. You've accomplished something massive.
Quote by Napalmdeth
Chuck Schuldiner

He knew enough to use modes and very very occasionally sweep-picking.

His experience built into a number of musical "safety-zones" for him, just like most musicians.

So I'd say all musicians know some kind of theory - they ALL know at least which intervals sound good and which ones sound dark. Hendrix knew theory. It was his own theory, self-crafted, but he still knew it and it works with what we currently know about theory.

In fact, most famous musicians know lots of theory, even if they built it up themselves.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Quote by paulvxD
...?

Coming from the guy with the Green Day avatar.. *cough*

No.. I don't know theory because I barely have a clue what it is and I don't take lessons. He asked which musicians don't know theory, I am a musician, I don't know theory. back off

I do not only play/listen to punk.. My band has more of a metal/hard rock sound than a punk sound

i should rub icy hot on that burn (no offense, i've just been itching to use that one on ug)
Quote by yawn
Why, so you can feel good about yourself for being too lazy to put in the discipline it takes to build a strong knowledge of the foundations of music?

That's one of the stupidest comments about a band I've ever heard in the entirety of UG's history. Feel proud. You've accomplished something massive.

agreed
Quote by GdayArmstrong
i should rub icy hot on that burn (no offense, i've just been itching to use that one on ug)

Let's just forget this ever happened..
WHAT THE **** IS PEOPLE'S OBSESSION WITH MUSICIANS WHO DONT KNOW THEORY?
sorry, I had to say that. But every now and then I see these kind of threads and some arrogant kids who say that learning theory is bad and it will cripple you "creativity" and they point out examples of musicians who lacked theory. It just annoys me. Highly stupid.
Last edited by watchingmefall at Sep 16, 2007,
Quote by Captain Insano

sigged for dumb-assery
I was living a lie, now I'm dying to know the truth...
Page 1 of 2