hey
does anyone know how to paint a tune o matic tailpiece?
do you have to coat it with anything after painting?
cos im painting all the hardware on my guitar matt black. it looks cool except wen i full rub my fingers over the painted bits a tiny bit of paint comes off. so wat kind of clear coat you talking about?
well, it's metal, so You need to use some paint that's designed for metal I belive. I could be wrong. Also I belive you need to prime it first, and also sand it a bit before priming to give the primer and paint a nice rough surface to attach it's self too.

and then lastly clear coat it. but once again I ask why too. You can buy a TOM tailpeice that's already black, for about 10-15 bucks, and save yourself the trouble.

www.guitarfetish.com <-- I don't know the quality form that site, but people seem to recomend it.
i got an epiphone and most of the replacement tailpieces dont fit. also im in australia and its hard to find tailpieces at low prices where as the paint was only 5 bucks.

wat brand of clearcoat do u recommend?
and the clearcoats gonna be another 10-15 and the primer will be another 5 just get a new tailpiece itll look better and itll be cheaper
do all of them hav the same specs? as in measurements? cos i dont think it'll fit
hmmm
in australia its $30 for the tail piece and $35 for the tune o matic bridge bit.
thats way more than the cost of the paint and all.

i need the money for sperzel locking tuners. afterall the paint is only cosmetics, doesnt matter that much.
thanks alot guys and thanks for the link powermetal, i'll think about it. i'm already half way through the job i might just get the clearcoat and finish it.
Yeah if you wanted to do it properly you should have like sand/grit blasted it to get all the little nooks and crannies.. Then primed it up with metal primer, then used some good quality paint like car paint (Is there a such thing as 2 pack matte paint?)

If you're gonna clear-coat it then it will lose it's matte finish unless you get some kind of satin clear coat or something..
Quote by TheDev01dOne
Yeah if you wanted to do it properly you should have like sand/grit blasted it to get all the little nooks and crannies.. Then primed it up with metal primer, then used some good quality paint like car paint (Is there a such thing as 2 pack matte paint?)

If you're gonna clear-coat it then it will lose it's matte finish unless you get some kind of satin clear coat or something..

ye i was thinking that if i clear coat it the matt finish will be ruined. so i might just leave it like this and treat with extra care.

oh and it turned out great btw. i'll put pics up as soon as i get the emg's installed
err, the paint job won't last, I can assure you.

metals last longest, with either power coated, or adonized jobs. Powder coating looks like distortion pedals, and requires a license to spray I think, I think its the same for adonizing, just adonizing looks like plain black colored metal, with no finish on it.

spray painting it like that just won't cut it.
screw that if it dont last i'll get a new bridge and tailpiece after awhile
What finish is on the tailpiece right now? If its chrome, it won't work. Paint does not stick to chrome no matter how much you sand or prime it. You'll need to remove the chrome. The only way I can think to do that is to soak it in muriatic acid, which will take several weeks.
Spray paint is not a durable finish for things like this, it needs to be powder coated, it won't cost much to get done.
Current Gear
Ibanez RG1570 - Going bye bye
Jackson DK2 - Eventually will be replaced with Maton Mastersound
Peavey valveking 212
Various EHX and Boss effects
ye its chrome im just gona keep it til it wears off abit, then imma get a new bridge so ye