I'm looking to replace my Ibanez S470 with something a little better and comfortable for me.

Needs: Somewhat big body. Alright/good pickups. Very low action. Something that can handle classic rock and some hard rock. Something that will hold tuning for a decent amount of time, but no locking bridge

What I dont want: Small bodied guitar like Ibanez S's, LP's, ect.

Current options: Gretsch 5120 Electromatic, Gibson Faded Flying V, Epiphone Korina Explorer.
PRS Santana SE. You can grab one for 300 used off eBay and save a couple hundred bucks for a better amp.
Korina Explorer with a Pickup change (maybe) or a tuner switch. Or the Faded V. An ESP EX-600 would work. has EMG's if u like that sorta thing. and is an Explorer-style.
Possibly a used Schecter C-1 Classic? JB/59 setup will handle that music wonderfully, has Grover tuners/a TonePro bridge, nice sized neck (not Ibanez thin but not huge).

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCHECTER-Diamond-Series-C-1-Classic-Electric-Guitar_W0QQitemZ280151731365QQihZ018QQcategoryZ121166QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like a good deal... comes with a hard shell case and that color is really sexy
I'm not buying a new amp ANYTIME soon, I really like my XXX.

I dont want EMGs, unless of course it's got a 60 in the neck.
Quote by CJRocker
Check out a Jackson DK2T. Fits your needs perfectly.

No. Did you even read his post?

I'd go with the Gretch myself; excellent guitars.
id go with an american strat or possibly a studio les paul.
Keep in mind I want a somewhat large style body, maybe the size of a strat or larger.
Quote by srv34
id go with an american strat or possibly a studio les paul.

A LP Studio is about the worst thing he could get. Well, it's one of the worst things anyone can get, but specifically from the sound of his needs, it'd be utterly worthless.
Will the Gretsch handle hard rock and some metal? My amp will probably help, it's a beast for metal.
^Well people call ACDC hard rock, and Malcom Young uses a Gretch, so i dont see why not...
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Quote by RadioMuse
No. Did you even read his post?

I'd go with the Gretch myself; excellent guitars.

I play classic rock (Led Zep, Cream, etc) on mine on a regular basis. The guitar is very versatile. I hate people who think "Oh well thats a metal brand, there guitars are only good for metal".
Quote by CJRocker
I play classic rock (Led Zep, Cream, etc) on mine on a regular basis. The guitar is very versatile. I hate people who think "Oh well thats a metal brand, there guitars are only good for metal".

He didn't want a locking bridge.

I'd go with a Faded V.
Last edited by 1010011010 at Sep 16, 2007,
What about Ibanez Artcores? I love the look of them, but would they be able to handle hard rock and some small amounts of metal?
faded v

its the perfect guitar imo

fits everything you need
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
My only problem with the V is playing sitting down, which I do mostly all the time.

How are the pickups in the V?
In my somewhat educated opinion, Michael Kelly Guitars are the best guitars in that price range.

Impeccably well made, good pickups, very comfortable, and sexy looking to boot.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by TJM2482
My only problem with the V is playing sitting down, which I do mostly all the time.

How are the pickups in the V?

The Faded V is one of the worst guitars I've played honestly... pickups were noisy and undefined, and the V shape is very uncomfortable to play sitting down. There are much better values than that guitar. To play a V sitting down, you have to put the guitar between your legs and play it classical style instead of resting it on your leg.
i think the pups are fine for what the tc is asking for

and i play the v sitting down all the time

my jackson v is uncomfortable sitting down but my gibson isnt, i play it with the left side of the v over my right leg and the right side between my legs and play the neck kind of angled
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
the new ESP LTD EC's look teh seckz. no seriously, they look AMAZING. try one of those out- i'd go for duncans, but the 500 i think has EMG's (81/60, i believe)
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
Agile?

I vote either Agile or Schecter.
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
Quote by 1010011010
He did want a locking bridge.

I'd go with a Faded V.

I'm pretty sure the DK2T is a locking bridge.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
WOW the new ESP LTD EC-1000 is beautiful, the blue one is amazing!

Will the 81/60 combo do classic rock well?
get the gretsch. it's a great guitar.
Member #4 of The Fulltone Users League
Member #68 of the EHX Users Guild

You Would