so me and my friend have sat down to try and figure out the difference between speed metal and thrash metal... whats the difference? besides speed metal coming first and influencing thrash we're stumped
I think that Thrash metal is a subgenre of speed metal. Based on Speed metal bands like Dragonforce, Thrash has more riffs and is heavier, whereas speed metal seems to be just an all-out shred-fest with a vocal track over some parts. Anthrax is a Thrash band, but is heavy and has less shred parts.
Quote by Iamonfire
Thrash for sure. I HATE Dragonforce with a passion. Fast DOES NOT equal good.

+1
yeah thats what we thought too, thrash had more slower breakdowns and whatnot whereas speed metal was... speedtastic? but we started looking up different bands under each genre i guess and the same bands were showing up under both so that confused us
Dragonforce /= Poor speed metal

Dragonforce = poor power metal

Speed metal really doesn't exist. Ignore Vh1, it is a redundant genre.
It's just a name for NWOBHM. It's heavy metal influenced slightly by the punk movement, while thrash was more of a hardcore influence.
Dickless.
so "speed" is a made up genre comprised of faster power metal and bands with less riffage than thrash?
yeah we looked there, but then we looked up 'thrash' and motorhead and i'm thinking priest was under there too
i believe theyre the same...except yeh speed is alot more speedier than thrash..but why wonder anyways theyre both good genres
yeah man i agree, its both good (or since theyre saying 'speed' metal doesnt exist, thrash is very good)
I always thought speed metal was basically very fast NWOBHM with more thrash elements.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Some bands have flogged off the 'speed metal' title legitimately. Like Tripwire. But in a nut shell it's basically just thrash. Except for maybe Baltak who is self described as 'speed war metal' - but it basically just sounds like putting a black metal record on 44 when it is meant to be 33.
Shadilay.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_metal

Motorhead, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc.

NWOBHM.

Motorhead and Priest are not NWOBHM.

Speed metal DOES exist, and is not a redundant term. Running Wild, later Judas Priest, early Blind Guardian, Damien Thorne, Raven, Exciter...
La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi

Raptoral judgement upon all our sins
This placid island of ignorance
Quote by qotsa1998
I think that Thrash metal is a subgenre of speed metal. Based on Speed metal bands like Dragonforce, Thrash has more riffs and is heavier, whereas speed metal seems to be just an all-out shred-fest with a vocal track over some parts. Anthrax is a Thrash band, but is heavy and has less shred parts.

There are much better speed metal bands than Dragonforce, in fact i woulnd't really classify Dragonforce as speed metal at all. Megadeth were speed metal on "Killing is my Business".

Thrash doesn't neccessarily have more riffs or heavier riffs. I mean Firewind are like speed/power metal but have a whole spectrum of riffs in each of their songs. And they're heavy as FOCK! Listen to the "Fire & The Fury".

Quote by chylde_of_fire
Motorhead and Priest are not NWOBHM.

Fail

When I came near losing my own life
It made me learn the true meaning of a smile