Hey guys i just bought an explorer and plan to change the pickups right away. they currently come with 496R and 500T ceramic pups and they are good... but not right for me as they are just waaaaaay too hot.

i wud really like to get some nice warm vintage tones. talking to sum ppl they said to get hte vintage tones ur really gonna have to go second hand. so i was looking at either t tops or p 90s. wat do u guys reckon?

theres also the possibility of going with new classic 57 pups... i have been hearing some good reviews bout them... still dont know if they will give me the tone im after tho.

thanks in advance
Gibson replacement pickups seem way overpriced to me, so I wouldn't buy them new. If you get lucky like forsaknazrael you might find some good pickups used, otherwise I would look at different brands.
buying second hand isnt going to chnage the tone....however, amongst Gibson collectors and vintage players, apparently T-Tops are amazing, pick some up on eBay!

I totally think Gibsons are worth it.
they come with wooden spacers and either 24K gold or German Nickel!
mostly vintage correct, and the sound is definately there
^what are the wooden spacers for?

and i want wolfetone or SD pickups... i'd spend a lot if i was going for tone. like my new pickup set from CorduroyEW.

Gibsons are overpriced, but u get the name "Gibson". and theyre decent.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by forsaknazrael
I guess if you really feel you need to spend that kind of money to get good tone. I still think the Duncan SH-1 '59's are among the best PAF type pickups in the US at an affordable price...

Cord reckons that 59 is a more accurate PAF sound than Gibson's Classiic 57 anyways, and I trust his ears.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
how can you judge an accurate PAF when they all sound so different? they never stuck to one magnet type or winding pattern....
look at Bare Knuckle Pickups

they do some really good hand wound vintage humbuckers

i've got one of the contemporary series humbuckers from them (miracle man bridge) and its really good
i swapped it for a gibson burstbucker pro in my les paul

+ you can ring up tim (the owner) and tell him exactly what you want and he'll point you towards which pickup you should be looking at
he also mods them for the customers needs
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
Rolph
WCR
WB
All make really great PAF pickups. SD also makes a P-90 that fits in a HB route, I think it's called the fat cat.
Quote by Roc8995
Rolph
WCR
WB
All make really great PAF pickups. SD also makes a P-90 that fits in a HB route, I think it's called the fat cat.

The Phat Cat doesn't sound exactly like a P-90, due to the different bobbin shape.

And those pickups are quite a bit more pricey than Duncans, though less than SD pickups.
ur not going to hav to go second hand to get t3h vintage tones, der are sum pickups reddily available wich will get you de vintage tonez.

seriously, though, what's your budget and where are you (affects prices)? what's your amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hey y'all thanks for the help
im located in brisbane australia and i have an ac 30... that any help?

oh yer... i have no budget... if i want something... i will save.
Congrats on the AC30, that's a gorgeous amp.

As far as I know aussies get equally shafted on all eqipment, so it's up to you really. Duncans will probably still be cheaper than Gibson pickups though, so a par of 59's or a pari of Pearly Gates would be great. If you want vintage, squeals and all, then you could go for a pair of Duncan Seth Lovers which are unpotted.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ agreed. swineshead may be worth considering too- from what i remember (and obviously exchange rates can change etc.), swinesheads worked out cheaper than duncans. probably a pair of condors, or a condor in the neck and runaway in the bridge. bear in mind, though, that swineshead are kinda like a modern take on a vintage tone (for those models)... so if you want truly vintage sounding pickups, you may want to look elsewhere- bareknuckle, bulldog, stephens design, lollar etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
going on memory, which is a little foggy... i think the BB pros are a little more modern? Not modern like a high gain pickup, but yeah... i think a BB pro is like a hot PAF, while a '57 is more like a normal PAF.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?