so i can alternate pick well and do legato fine

but i just dont understand, is shredding just scales played fast?

could you guys give my some simple shred licks to practice
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
shredding is usually a term to describe insanely fast soloing so no it doesnt have to be just scales.
im trying to memorize some scales

im working on the blues scale because i also play blues, but what are some other good scales for hard/ classic rock and shred type stuff??

and... modes, should i just wait before i even try to figure these things out?
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Quote by Teh GIR
im trying to memorize some scales

im working on the blues scale because i also play blues, but what are some other good scales for hard/ classic rock and shred type stuff??

and... modes, should i just wait before i even try to figure these things out?

Modes are just more scales.

As a way of explantion, let's take the minor pentatonic and major pentatonic.

If you're playing, say, Am pentatonic and then switch to A (major) pentatonic, then you've just switched mode. You're playing from the same root note, but the notes that come after (intervals) are different.

For example, let's take A Aeolian and A Dorian. They're both minor modes, but they vary slightly in the pattern of intervals.

In short, playing a mode of a certain scale is playing a different scale that is somewhat related to the scale you're already playing.

If you find a place where you can look at the shapes of modes all over the fretboard and seperately, you'll see that... yep... if you move your hand up a few positions from any Aeolian shape position, you'll be playing the Dorian shape (but technically you're still playing Aeolian, since the notes are still within the original key).
If you played Dorian and shifted down a few positions, you're playing an Aoelian shape... again, still in the original key of Dorian.

But, if you were playing Harmonic Minor, for instance, none of the modes would fit into there because Harmonic Minor has a seperate set of modes to the Major Scale (which is what the most common modes are based off). The scales which form the root of modes that spring most to mind are:

Major Scale
Harmonic Minor
Augmented
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
alright thanks

i have this book too with pretty much every scale and mode
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Remember most importantly that scales aren't boxes, they are just sets of intervals and are all over the neck.
so let me get this right

say, now this is in my terms which might sound retarded, so theres a scale

and i play the root note as .. d. and i play all around the neck in that scale id still be in d?
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Let's say you're in D major: D E F# G A B C#. Play those notes anywhere on the neck and you're in D major, assuming your root it D.