my friend is going to start playing bass and was wondering where to start. what are some good starter guitars and amps? and hes probably not going to take lessons any time soon so what sorta books and stuff like that should he buy? i like his limit is about $400
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
An Ibanez Soundgear is a great start.....any amp is good....Peavey's are great starter amps
Rocking the free world one step at a time!
I'd suggest an ESP F104 and a cheaper beginner amp. The first thing I would upgrade is the amp though, because the bass is actually a decent one.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
ive seen great packages at musiciansfriend.com. u can get an amp and a bass and some other stuff comes with it for under 200 bucks. when i started i got an idiots guide to bass guitar and it taught me stuff like scales and modes and argeggios and a bunch of other stuff too.
Look at this pack:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-T14G-N*-Bass-Guitar-Pack?sku=515439

The big thing is a 40 watt amp. You will actually be able to hear yourself with it. That leaves you 100 to spend on various books. Look at either Bass Guitar for Dummies or the Idiots Guide to Bass. I got the for Dummies one, but the Idiots guide is good too. Oh, and get him some actual theory books. A book on reading music will be good. If he learns to read music when he learns to play he wont get frustrated when he can play better than he can read.
you should invest your money on a good bass... like a schecter stiletto deluxe or something, which you can get on www.musiciansfriend.com for about 300$ most of the time... and then save up and buy a good amp.....

i find that the problem with most starters is that they start up with horrible gear, so they get uninspired........

if you get an amp and bass for that price (unless its used) you'll get a crap bass (nearly for sure) and a crappy amp... if you spend that whole money on a bass you can get a good bass, and then worry about the amp.... go acoustic for a while, like i did
Quote by Divine Comedy
you should invest your money on a good bass

No, no and no.

Spend more on the amp. A good amp can last for a long time. You're bound to upgrade your bass anyway.

Squier make good beginner basses, as do Ibanez and Yamaha.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Nutter is right. A good beginner bass by Squier, yamaha or Ibanez will serveryou well and have decent trade in when you are ready to upgrade to a better model. Its important that you spend the cash on a good amp. Good amp > upscale bass. A decent starter will always sound better on a good amp than a higher end bass on a lower end amp.
no, i agree with you...

look at what i said!

i said, buy a decent bass, and then get a good amp when you have more money...
So he's going to buy a guitar, and not have anything to do with it?

Buy a fairly cheapish bass, and get a good amp.

Sorted
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
i played my bass acoustic for a while...

i got this amazing Yamaha BB605, which is still my only bass.......i got it used by 500€, plus a hardcase, pretty good deal...

but i was broke for like.... 2/3 months until i could buy this fender rumble combo... which is a decent amp.... but im gonna upgrade soon, i hope