Hi,
Im a starter guitarist, Iv'e been playing for about 4 months and I want to do more than just read tabs and play someone else's music. I'd like to learn some scales, Is there a website I can find them on, or is there a pattern I can follow?

I already know how to do simple things like, hammer on's, pull off's, slides, bends, natural harmonics, ect. but I'd like to learn how to do ( and figure out exactly what they are) Sweep picking, legato slides, tapping, and some other stuff that I can't remember.

Thanks in advance

*Iv'e already used the search bar for help
Last edited by StopReadingThis at Sep 16, 2007,
There are lessons on this site about scales. Go the the lessons column and you'll find it there
I'd recommened starting slow with some basic chords, a major scale and maybe a pentatonic minor scale. It's easy to dive off the deep end and rush through alot of material and not really learn anything. I've done it and still do (as I read through my new guitar magazine) If you want to write your own stuff I'd start with some basic progressions and introductory chord theory. There's lots of material on this site to help and you can always dissect your favorite songs as well.
Scales basically means theory, so if you want to start learning it it's best to start at the beginning. Learn the notes on the fretboard, then learn the major scale...and learn it properly. Learn how it exists all over the fretboard, and how it's not just a fingering pattern. The two most important things about any scale are the pattern of intervals between notes and how they relate to underlying chords. Where you put your fingers is just incidental.

Everything leads back to the major scale, so start with that and you'll find everything else makes a lot more sense a lot more quickly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Scales basically means theory, so if you want to start learning it it's best to start at the beginning. Learn the notes on the fretboard, then learn the major scale...and learn it properly. Learn how it exists all over the fretboard, and how it's not just a fingering pattern. The two most important things about any scale are the pattern of intervals between notes and how they relate to underlying chords. Where you put your fingers is just incidental.

Everything leads back to the major scale, so start with that and you'll find everything else makes a lot more sense a lot more quickly.

+1. Great post.

Just like he said, learn the major scale, the notes on the fretboard, how chords are constructed, the basic stuff. Throw in the pentatonic too.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp