i dont know what it is, but for some reason lately i think all my solos sound like the same, i try new things, like legato and sweeping, but i cant seem to get a change, and they all sound sort of intermediate or beginner, meanwhile i can play like malmsteen. i am starting to lose motivation and interest and im starting to get frustrated, now even my sweeps come out all messy when they did not before.

what do i do?!!!??!!?
listen to different kinds of music, learn some different scales.

edit - i suggest jimi hendrix. it'll change your life if it hasn't already.
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci
i dont like blues i like metal, and i try listening to different kinds of music, i learned the harmonic scale, oriental and diminished today. it all sounds the same.
If you start messing up on things you could do easily in the past, take a break from playing. Maybe just a day or so. And if you can't take a break, start messing around with a style completely different.

edit: The good thing about metal is that it takes influences from all sorts of genres. Learn some jazz or blues, and incorporate that into your style.
Who dat?
Quote by sk8rMeTaLhEaD27
i dont like blues i like metal, and i try listening to different kinds of music, i learned the harmonic scale, oriental and diminished today. it all sounds the same.

then time to play some SRV adn santana, like was suggested
Well if that's all you're going to attempt to play, that's all you're going to hear.

Even if you try a different scale, just constantly playing with the same phrasing is going to give you the same sound. Judging by the tracks I just listened to you play (on your profile), you need to clean up your sound a bit. Metal isn't always about thrashing.

At least try out some Jazz songs and get some different styles in, even if you don't like them, you can't be all metal because then you're obviously not going to get anything new.
well i wanted to play like neo classical metal, like blend the two, youve probably heard it before, i want to play in the styles of people like jason becker and like i guess since its on your profile, alexi laiho, like stuff like that. you still think i should try like jazz and other types of music?
dude you need to be open minded, sure its not your favorite type of music, but it will give you insight on how you can improve your playing, because SRV will own any metal guitarist you can dream up.
Quote by ch715dallat
Necrophagist how could all you n00bs forget the best german metalcore band ever. i think theyre tech metalcore tho or sumfin
no he cant? srv might be good, im not gonna argue opinion, but he only plays blues. people like jason becker, john petrucci and marty friedman, they can play any style. i dont like blues and i cant stand it. because thats all i used to play.