Well I didn't know whether or not this belonged in here or the punk thread but I chose here because I think they lean more towards Classic Rock then Punk. Anyone else absolutely adore this band? I just think they were so badass...from their fuzzed out sound to their politics they are like the perfect band for me. . Favorite songs would be Kick out the Jams, Black to Comm, American Ruse, and Ramblin Rose. I plan on getting Kick Out The Jams (their debut album) within the next few days.
You would've gotten a good response in the punk section, but it doesn't really matter. Anyway, the MC5 are real good.
awesome band. ive been listening to them for about 4 years now.

not many people know about them. at least not that ive talked to.

ive always loved the picture of Wayne Kramer that you have for your avatar.
I love them, but I can only listen to their stuff at an extremely high volume for some reason. They sound like shit if I turn my stereo down to a reasonable volume.
Quote by master
I love them, but I can only listen to their stuff at an extremely high volume for some reason. They sound like shit if I turn my stereo down to a reasonable volume.

haha i feel the same way! i do truly love them though when i listen to them (loudly) i get so jacked. they have been a huge influence on my own music
oh nothing... just bein' myself...what? oh this? this is just my package...yeah... god delivered it, I signed for it, world keeps on spinnin'
The few songs I've heard seemed great at the time, but they seem average now. I guess I have to be in a certain mood to appreciate them.
haha something about The MC5 just makes me laugh. Their energy and their recordings are just out of control. A lot of those mid-to-late 60's garage rock/proto-punk bands really go unnoticed sometimes, so it's nice to see some fans on here. I have to say, "Kick out the Jams" is definitely my favorite MC5 song. Rock on.

PS: if you like the MC5, check out some early Grand Funk Railroad, especially their first live album titled Live Album. Pure energy and volume. TURN IT UP LOUD!!
Current Rig:
Fender CS Eric Clapton Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Digitech Crossroads Pedal

In the stereo: The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
I only know that Kick Out The Jams was covered by Rage. Other than that, I don't know too much about them, other than one of the members' fro.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
The MC5 kick ass.

I have some footage of them doing an open air show which was filmed by the CIA/FBI whatever because they thought the MC5 were trying to overthrow the government or something....!

If you like them, you should also check out the first two stooges albums and sonics rendezvous band (fred 'sonic' smith's other band. electrophonic tonic is a great track
I once got a concert poster signed by the whole band by a friend I know who was out on tour as a pre-band (don't know the word in english, but it's like when you are the band who plays a song or two before the "main" band). Anyway, I threw it away because I didn't know who they were then
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Maybe it's just me, but does the riff from "I Want You Right Now" sound a lot like a certain riff from a Jimi Hendrix song? I can't remember what song it reminds me of.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by therussian
Maybe it's just me, but does the riff from "I Want You Right Now" sound a lot like a certain riff from a Jimi Hendrix song? I can't remember what song it reminds me of.

Yeah, its wild thing by the troggs
Ah yeah, that's right.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
i love the MC5... i actually called a radio station last month and asked if they had any.. and the dude was like "ive been DJing for 36 years and ive never heard of them, try [modern rock station].. most of our listeners are from the 60s and 70s"

i was like "uhhhh they were around in the 60s and 70s.. are you sure youve never heard of em? kick out the jams? rambling rose? teenage lust? im 21 and i know more about much than a triple decade DJ?"

i then got disconnected
Quote by hippie_cune
i love the MC5... i actually called a radio station last month and asked if they had any.. and the dude was like "ive been DJing for 36 years and ive never heard of them, try [modern rock station].. most of our listeners are from the 60s and 70s"

i was like "uhhhh they were around in the 60s and 70s.. are you sure youve never heard of em? kick out the jams? rambling rose? teenage lust? im 21 and i know more about much than a triple decade DJ?"

i then got disconnected

hahahah lmao thats funny. ****in DJ sounds like a prick.
yes, the MC5 were a killer band. I actually like the Back in the USA and High Time albums better than Kick out The Jams. It's all good though. Favorite tunes: "American Ruse", "Teenage Lust", "Baby Wont Ya"..... "Miss X" is a cool song too - albeit a bit atypical for them.

If you like MC5 also check out Sonic's Rendezvous Band (featuring Fred "Sonic" Smith)- they only released one proper single but there's lots of compilations live stuff/bootlegs out there.
MC5 is one of my favorite garage bands ever.

my favorite song is Baby Please Don't Go. Kick Out The Jams comes in as a close second
MC5 = pure, unadulterated brilliance.

Over and Over, Baby Won't Ya, Kick Out the Jams, Ramblin Rose, all great songs.

Also, anyone heard Kramer's collaboration band with Johnny Thunders? It's pretty good, Thunders is a bit too stoned at times though (they only had a live album). It's called Gang War if you want to check it out
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
if anyone is interested in listening to them for the first time, i suggest buying Big Bang: Best of the MC5. its one of the best "best of" albums ive ever seen. it gives you a good idea of what their sound is like.
The MC5 are, along with The Stooges, one of the most underapreciated bands ever.

Both of those bands basically started punk rock, but get nowhere near as much credit as they should.

I own Back In The USA, which is great, and High Time, which is also great. I've been looking around for Kick Out The Jams for a while, I can't find it anywhere.
The.
The MC5 are pure amazing, I think this thread might have been more better in the punk forum, but whatever. They are seriously underrated.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Hurray, I found an MC5 thread. I searched for a bit and found this one. I wasn't about to go making a new one if one already existed. Even if it's been 2 years since the last post... Anyways, I love this band. I really just discovered them quite recently. I have Kick Out the Jams and Back in the USA on CD. If I ever see High Times I will get it. I absolutely love their music. Fred and Wayne's fuzzy old school guitar tones are great (they also have kick ass riffs) and Rob's fro is pretty cool, too. They are steadily becoming one of my favorite bands.
Quote by SuperBlob

Also, anyone heard Kramer's collaboration band with Johnny Thunders? It's pretty good, Thunders is a bit too stoned at times though (they only had a live album). It's called Gang War if you want to check it out

Holy shit I gotta get that! Johnny Thunders is incredible. So raw and angry!
If I make an MC5 group will anyone join it? I searchbarred and got nothing.