If I mod a strat(either mexican hss or squier) with new pups and electronics, I have 3 pups left over!! they will be crap, so only like 8$ each on ebay. I thought that since my dreadnought is acoustic only, it might be viable to put a single coil in the bridge and use steel strings, thusly making an interesting A/E. How would I go about mounting them, could I somehow slim the pickup itself or would I have to drill?could I just fix it to the base of the neck so I leave the soundhole open?could I drill the shoullder to fit an input?what sort of tone might I get?Feedback?

in shorrt, what are the logistics involved in putting a fender single coil into a cheap epi DR100? I would like to be able to amp up and the pups are free/garbage anyway...

otherwise, anyone have ideas about what to do with some cheap pups?
Get a feedback blocker, it's a plug that goes into the soundhole of your acoustic. Cut a hole in it big enough for the humbucker or single, give it a volume knob and an output jack. The cable could be a smaller one, so it will go under the strings and not interfere.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I don't think this will end well, for both the pups and that guitar, but I could be wrong.
I am afraid that mounting the pup in the actual top will cause hum, even in a soundhole blocker, it will vibrate and cause the pups to sense it. If I had a solid way to mount on the base of the neck, where the truss rod and neck joint are, I'd do that since there is a solid block of wood there. also, I think I could drill a small hole in the shoulder of the guitar, where the cutaway would be if It had one, but lower and out of the way. it seems that a small hole in that spot would do little to damage he tone of my **** 100$ guitar... I would need to move the tone circuit down the wire to the amp if possible, I dont want it really, just transparent as possible tone. also, what is inside of the pups, are the magnets as thick as the whole thing, or is it just a thick plastic block to keep the poles near the strings? If I could strip down the pickups to make them thinner that'd help. how would i mount the pickups against the bottom of the neck, it would be a flat block of wood against the wide side of the pup, not the bottom. screws? glue? literally duct tape? the sturdier and less rattling about the better.

I just want a free pickup to go to some use. is there anything I could build with the things? someone made a drum out of a pickup and a guitar string in a foam package, for example.
you could send them to me
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
well lets say if I did, what would you do with 3 crappy squier pickups? cause I'd like to know.
Send them to CorduroyEW, and have him make you a set for your new custom guitar.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Thatpinkqueen did something liek this a million years ago.

He just mounted a SC pup in the tone hole, then wired the hot up to a pot, and wired it to a jack, and grounded the pup up to a coin, and taped it in the inside of the body.

apparently it worked well.
Quote by CORT noob
Send them to CorduroyEW, and have him make you a set for your new custom guitar.

I think he's trying to say something....
Lets try to decode....

Send the crap pickups to this cool guy named CorduroyEW,
He'll make them gods gift....
The question is, how much would it be....

^_^ sorry i'm tired, and i'm not mocking yah, just that bored. lol
Quote by WickedBeast666
I think he's trying to say something....
Lets try to decode....

Send the crap pickups to this cool guy named CorduroyEW,
He'll make them gods gift....
The question is, how much would it be....

^_^ sorry i'm tired, and i'm not mocking yah, just that bored. lol

The price will definately be good, go on Rockmonkeyguitars.com and check out the prices. They are very low for custom handwound boutique pickups. Pretty renouned around these parts. Give the guy a PM.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
^i got CorduroyEW's pickup set. they're flat out great. better than any other pickups i've used.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard