My Marshall MG hdfx was stolen Saturday from where my band practices so I need a new one. Do you guys think I should just buy a new MG hdfx or go with something else. I could spend about $650. Or I could find a job, and try to make some extra cash before our show in Oct. What would you do if this happened to you?
ohh to bad get a tube i
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Mesa boogie single recto series 2
Line 6 Toneport
Mesa boogie single recto series 1
Digitech GNX4
I'm definitely interested in a tube amp, but I don't know much about them. I play a lot of metal, but I also want to be able to play some clean stuff. Any suggestions?
used 5150 combo. get the job anyway to maybe pop some new speakers in or upgrade your guitar.
traynor blue with a pedal

good distortion / good cleans / very underrated

EDIT: whoever stole the MG......they did you a big favor
I figured you guys would give me a rough time for owning a MG. I was actually happy with it though. It was my second amp so I'm not really experienced at buying amps.
ya traynor's have pretty good rep.

5150 is a dam good buy
about like $500 used. all tube. great for playing heavy stuff. cleans are actually good well to my ears.
[B]Member of the Orange Revolution Club. Buy an Orange to join.
Member #16 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.
Oh yeah and another thing. I don't do any of the leads in my band. I was reading some reviews on the Peavey 6505, and it said it was best for leads and just ok for rhythm.
5150 excellent for metal and hard rock, lots of thick distortion. It can do lead and rythm, biggest downfall are the cleans, they are usable but not great. You can definately get one used for $650, you will be so glad someone stole your MG. A tear came to my eye the first time I heard the 5150, it was beautiful.

Edit:

the 5150/6505 are the same thing just so you know, as well as the 5150 II/6505 +. the +'s have a little better cleans so I hear, but the amp isn't intended for cleans.
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
Hmm...

Maybe you should go and check where it was stolen from?

Maybe the people put it back after playing it.

Sorry, had to say it.

Anywayyy,

I would recommend the GH50L, the only thing is it's a one channel amp..and it's not that easy to get a GREAT clean sound out of it.

So, maybe you should try out the 5150? Nice, and you can get a 5150 combo pretty cheap.
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail
BBE Sonic-Stomp Sonic Maximizer.

Member #24 of the EHX Guild
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Take this golden oppurtunity and get something else!

+10

He needs cleans, people. 5150's have terrible ones.

I'd say grab something like a Peavey Classic 30, a Crate V32, a Traynor YCV50 Blue, or a Traynor YCV40...look used for all of them, if possible. Then grab a good OD pedal to get it to metal territory. Like a Tube Screamer type...

Or if you can find one, a used Peavey Ultra. That would do metal, I believe. Also look out on eBay for a Mesa Subway Rocket. Also check out the Randall RG50TC, and the B-52 AT-112.

The last group of amps I named should have enough gain for metal without a pedal.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Sep 17, 2007,
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Take this golden oppurtunity and get something else! What kind of music do you play?

Who steals a Marshall MG

definitely.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
It's a blessing in disguise, get something other than an MG.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Quote by SchecterGates
Hmm...

Maybe you should go and check where it was stolen from?

Maybe the people put it back after playing it.

I second the recomendation for the Peavey Classic 30, I tried one once and it was a great amp! It was just a bit too big and heavy for me, great tones though.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Yeah whoever that was, they did you a favor by stealing it.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
vox Valvotronix, great cleans, a nice distortion, its not the best for metal but you can get a nice solid metal sound outta it, its an overall good amp, not really bad in one area, except the auto wah,
What a blessing someone stealing your MG DFX ....Well atleast I think it is. Dont waste your money on another one just get a tube amp.
Quote by slidething31
Blues men don't wear band T shirts.
Quote by OhioState
I'm definitely interested in a tube amp, but I don't know much about them.

Then definitely get a tube amp now. You'd be throwing away your money on another MG. It's resale value is about what you got for your last one.

LOOK USED! Check eBay, Craig's List, pawn shops, local classifieds, etc. The Traynor YCV 50 is a good choice, Peavey Classic 50, Marshall DSL401, etc. A lot of amps out there, just start looking. Many you'll be able to get for under $500 or even $400, which'll give you plenty of money left over to get the pedals you'll want to get over the metal hump.

Sucks that you got your amp stolen, but this really could be a blessing in disguise.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by OhioState
My Marshall MG hdfx was stolen Saturday from where my band practices so I need a new one. Do you guys think I should just buy a new MG hdfx or go with something else. I could spend about $650. Or I could find a job, and try to make some extra cash before our show in Oct. What would you do if this happened to you?

which guitar got stolen?
Sorry about the guitar!
I'd say get a used Hughes & Kettner or Randall amp
www.High-Gain.com
Your source for High-gain, Boutique, Handmade and Rare guitar amplifiers in Europe.
Quote by OhioState

consider yourself EXTREMELY lucky.
Maybe your band members took it and sold it because they didn't like your tone.

I'd check out traynor, maybe a Mesa Boogie F-30 combo, possibly a traynor or 5150 combo as well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I.. own an MG DFX. Yeah I thought it was pretty sweet too. "ooo! look it has sweet effects! this one sounds like an airplane!" But after awhile I realized what a piece of total poopy it is. I am probably gonna be getting a Classic 30 or a Palomino V32 within the next few weeks. We play simliar music, and with a pedal I don't think I will have any problem getting any tones I want. Theres my little bit o' advice.
GEAR

epy lp
palomino v32
marshall guv'nor 2
vox wah

Demetri martin- My computer once beat me at a game of chess, but then I beat it at a game of kickboxing.
I like the YVC50BLUE suggestion. If you pick it up used (always a good idea) then you may be able to afford an OD pedal to put you into metal territory.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Why do all guys buy an amp NOT designed for hard-rock/metal and then put an OD/Dist box in front, instead of getting a proper amp that has the tone to do metal as well to start with???
I'd say DON'T get things such as Fenders etc and expect to go metal with an OD, get a proper rocking amp...
www.High-Gain.com
Your source for High-gain, Boutique, Handmade and Rare guitar amplifiers in Europe.
^Because sometimes the best overall amps in a price range aren't designed for metal. If your options come down to a mid-gain tube amp with an OD and a Line 6, the obvious choice is the mid-gain tube amp.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by Jezuzzz
Why do all guys buy an amp NOT designed for hard-rock/metal and then put an OD/Dist box in front, instead of getting a proper amp that has the tone to do metal as well to start with???
I'd say DON'T get things such as Fenders etc and expect to go metal with an OD, get a proper rocking amp...

not everyone wants to parade around with a 5150 or a recto like a tool. and anyway, i do just fine with my vintage amp and the right dirtbox.
Quote by OhioState
I'm definitely interested in a tube amp, but I don't know much about them. I play a lot of metal, but I also want to be able to play some clean stuff. Any suggestions?

I'd just get a Windsor, if you don't need Fender Cleans with the band. If you need cleans for home practice, save up for an Epi VJ, or a Vox AD or something.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Thanks for the suggestions!

I found a couple 5150 heads at good prices. What cabinet is best for the head?
^ NOT the Peavey one.

Mesa, Orange, and Vader make the best cabs, and they'd all match up well with that head. On a budget, you could get a decent 2x12 from Avatar.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by TehJermie
not everyone wants to parade around with a 5150 or a recto like a tool. and anyway, i do just fine with my vintage amp and the right dirtbox.

wtf? so you're a tool if you use these amps? I think you need to get off that high horse.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by TehJermie

So vintage amps don't need to be carried around???
www.High-Gain.com