Strontium has 4 isotopes. Strontium-84 has a very low natural abundance, but 86, 87, and 88 are all reasonably abundant. Which of these more abundant isotopes predominates?
but I'm trying to find out a way to find the answer using a formula or something..
Quote by D_y_p26
Strontium has 4 isotopes. Strontium-84 has a very low natural abundance, but 86, 87, and 88 are all reasonably abundant. Which of these more abundant isotopes predominates?

what the crap did he just say?
Yes. From the information you gave us, there is no answer we can give you for your question. You can calculate the average occurrence of an isotope, given the average mass of the element and the mass of the isotope. Or you can calculate the average mass of the element, given the masses and abundance of all the isotopes.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
You need to find the actual formula mass of Strontium, and the relative abundances of the isotopes. There isn't enough information to work with there.
cant you just look at the actual mass of strontium on the periodic table and use whichever is closest, since that is the average?
Quote by metallifan3091
cant you just look at the actual mass of strontium on the periodic table and use whichever is closest, since that is the average?

The isotope close to the average mass does not necessarily have to be the most abundant.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie