Hey guys,

I've recently backed away from the death metal scene and taken up a more rock/indie/alternative sound. I'm looking at selling my current ESP and getting an Arctic White Fender Telecaster because of their awesome sound and old-school look. The question here is what is the best model telecaster for that rock/alternative/indie sound? For a sample of the type of music i mean visit:

www.myspace.com/ash
www.myspace.com/anberlin
www.myspace.com/wearescientsists

Thank you in advance for any help

Edit: Budget is at around 1100-1600 American dollars.
Last edited by eyespy at Sep 17, 2007,
All teles are good, IMO. The MIM standard is probably what I would go for. It's a good price and gives you room to improve.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by CORT noob
All teles are good, IMO. The MIM standard is probably what I would go for. It's a good price and gives you room to improve.

How much would I be looking at paying for that particular model?
YES YES GET A TELE!

haha... im such a fanboy....

well, you can probably decide for yourself whether youre better off with humbuckers or single coils. judging from the first band on there, i would say single coils. theres a lot of options out there, so you should be able to get whatever sound you want. im the kind of person that doesnt mind opening something up and tweeking it to my liking, and i realize not everyone is, but with a little handy work you can make a tele very versatile. for example, just adding a 4way switch will give you the option of both pickups in series which is a hotter, heavier sound; quite useful.

as for which model, sorry cant help much. the only nice/expensive ones ive played were in the shop and not for very long
What's your budget? I would say go for a baja tele if you want the best value for money.

It's MIM but it has S-1 switching, the neck is reallly comfortable. Either that or just grab a MIM standard and then you got moneys to upgrade stuff?

If you want the vintagey look maybe grab a CIJ '62 custom or '52 RI.

If you're rich.. Grab a custom shop '51 Nocaster..

Basically.. All Teles are good it's just things that you prefer more..
Thanks for all the replies so far

I should meantion my budget is around 1500-2000 Australian dollars. So roughly 1100-1500 American? That's an estimate i don't know what the exchange rate is atm haha..
wtf. get an American Telecaster... they'll last you ur lifetime.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
if you get to musicians friend NOW, the american HH tele qmt is 700, half the online list price. its the stupid deal of the day, but perhaps its too late, as its 2 am. look at the mexican standard for 400$. the highway 1, '72 hh, and koa are all about 700$ us, the 72 is well regarded but has HH, so maybe not what yo want, the highway 1 is a very well regarded model as well, the koa has seymour duncans in itwhich are good for distortion, and an awe inspiring finish.

also the 69 thinline might be your best choice, since it has a very transparent, acoustic tone with some twang in the bridge. it is also super light as it is semi hollow.

if you have the 1000$ budget, check the american, buttry out the players baja tele, it has some nice pickups I hear.

it seems that you should get a 700$ tele, any one of my suggestions should be around that; get an acoustic too. I heard the only group whose link works, and they had acoustics. try a martin dxme for another 600, it'll blow you away, and its got a fishman piezo to boot. or a fresh tube amp.
Last edited by rhakiath at Sep 17, 2007,
yay one less fan of death metal is one step closer to a crappy sub-genre to a crappy genre dying
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
also btw tha aussie $ is at 1.186 per 1 US $ at the moment. so your budget is 1250 to 1700 $ US.
Quote by rhakiath
if you get to musicians friend NOW, the american HH tele qmt is 700, half the online list price. its the stupid deal of the day, but perhaps its too late, as its 2 am. look at the mexican standard for 400$. the highway 1, '72 hh, and koa are all about 700$ us, the 72 is well regarded but has HH, so maybe not what yo want, the highway 1 is a very well regarded model as well, the koa has seymour duncans in itwhich are good for distortion, and an awe inspiring finish.

also the 69 thinline might be your best choice, since it has a very transparent, acoustic tone with some twang in the bridge. it is also super light as it is semi hollow.

if you have the 1000$ budget, check the american, buttry out the players baja tele, it has some nice pickups I hear.

it seems that you should get a 700$ tele, any one of my suggestions should be around that; get an acoustic too. I heard the only group whose link works, and they had acoustics. try a martin dxme for another 600, it'll blow you away, and its got a fishman piezo to boot. or a fresh tube amp.

Appreciate the help mate The highway one is sounding good at the moment and from some reviews i've read comes across as a good idea but i'll be sure to check the others out you mentioned. I have Cole Clark acoustic at the moment so I won't need to invest in one of them quite yet. And I recently spent 5500 or so on a Mesa Lonstar head and cab so i won't need a new tubey for a while either :p
Man get a Cole Clark Culprit maybe? They're a Tele copy but they're meant to be reallly good. I've never seen one around to play though. Made in Aus so it's gotta be good right? Lol

The HWY1 series are real good though. I would get the Highway 1 Texas tele instead of the normal one but that's just my preference, I like the bigger neck and ash body. I think it has hotter pickups too but I'm not sure.
Quote by TheDev01dOne
Man get a Cole Clark Culprit maybe? They're a Tele copy but they're meant to be reallly good. I've never seen one around to play though. Made in Aus so it's gotta be good right? Lol

The HWY1 series are real good though. I would get the Highway 1 Texas tele instead of the normal one but that's just my preference, I like the bigger neck and ash body. I think it has hotter pickups too but I'm not sure.

HW1 Texas aye? I haven't looked up on that because of the whole "texas" in the name, sounded to me like it would be done for texas country stuff haha. Shows what i know..